Just updated Xoom to official ICS, initial thoughts.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I finally updated my Xoom using my PSP (wouldn't read my flash drive but that's a much different story). I just have to say, best thing since the 3.1 update, probably the best update we have gotten. Fully stock, you will lose root but you gain so much more. The interface is fluid and so easy on the eyes. The entire device feels a lot faster and the keyboard is much improved. The Gmail app is vastly improved( swipe across messages, like the ICS Gmail app on phones). Another thing that is really nice about the update is the notification system is very much improved. I can now get rid of all the notifications at once or seamlessly swipe one away. Another great thing has to be the music widget on thine lock screen, it finally makes the media experience a lot better( great addition to ICS in general, enjoy this features on my Nexus S). I must say one last thing positive about this update though, multi tasking works like it should. I mean seriously this is how the Xoom should have been launched, it is very fast when you tap the multi tasking button and scrolling across the tasks is so simple.

Now for the bad stuff, I haven't played with it enough to tell you whether it is buggy or not but it seems very stable so that won't be a negative.

No facial unlock.... why? I don't know, you would think with that nice big 2 megapixel camera on the front that you would be given the option right out of the bag but no it isn't there.

Still no Google + Tablet application, and this is a big one. Google added the application to the Galaxy Nexus and made such a big deal about it in the advertisements yet it isn't even fully optimised for their tablet.

Another big one is that the browser still sucks. I mean it is still fast we still have flash, but we can't set desktop sites to be the absolute default. Sure I can request for the page to be in desktop view but that's a huge pain especially when you get on websites that read your tablet as a phone for every web page.

That's about it, other than the painful updating process the whole thing is really good and exactly what the Xoom needed to be a real tablet.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my Xoom

Last edited:
Reactions: CypherMax

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, over in the Prime forums, our Prime's have "face unlock" listed in the app list but we can't do anything with it either.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have had more time to use the browser I realize there is a huge difference. For example this site, Androidcentral, use to be so slow it was painful but now scrolling is super fast. I agree, it does seem like a whole new tablet.

kustu82

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It's what I wish my tablet would have been when I bought it. Seems like a whole new tablet. I think by far the best thing about the update is the browser. Fast and super smooth. Doesn't really bother me to request the desktop site. But as soon as I have done it once for a website it seems to remember so no big deal.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is some lag in the multitasking menu, but that is a small price to pay for zero lag in the keyboard and home screen transitions, and the browser improvements. It does feel like a whole new tablet. I could not go back to Honeycomb, which in retrospect felt like early alpha software compared to ICS.

What's interesting for me is the consistency between ICS on a tablet and on the Galaxy Nexus. Taking screen shots works the same way for example. There are differences due to form factor and screen size, but the experiences are extremely consistent, much like (I hate to say it) iOS on an iPhone and iPad. ICS, however, feels organic on both a phone and tablet. When I had an iPad, it did feel like I was using a big iPhone.

The Android team did a heck of a job with ICS. They put a lot of thought into this and it shows.

reishus

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
When you say the home screen transitions are very smooth, how about in portrait mode? In honeycomb the home screen transitions are incredibly bad in portrait mode. Did that get fixed?

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to further test but scrolling is much faster in both landscape and portrait. I do feel like battery life is a bit shorter though. and it feels there is a bit of a hangup on the browser at times. But after i force close it it goes back to its speedy self

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So, what is the actual upgrade number you received?

I was just at a friends house and he had a notice on his WiFi Acer tablet to download 4.0... I got a little excited, got home and turned on my 4G Xoom and no notice yet! Sort of feeling left out now...

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tested Google+ Hangouts to see if the sound mute bug still exists after ICS upgrade? I'd be interested to know...

TJH

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So, what is the actual upgrade number you received?

I was just at a friends house and he had a notice on his WiFi Acer tablet to download 4.0... I got a little excited, got home and turned on my 4G Xoom and no notice yet! Sort of feeling left out now...

Android 4.0.3

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I went back to stock and loaded ICS via USB. Two problems so far: Amazon Prime video is "broken" - video transfer rate stays real low irrespective of excellent connection and picture is broken up and freezes (tried stock and Dolphin browsers). So it is unusable for me on the Xoom (though works great on the Kindle Fire sitting next to it). MS Bluetooth mouse no longer stays connected after pairing (though Logitech keyboard works great).

Dave

jaihawk

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I just did the manual upgrade on my wi-if only Xoom and it was way easier than I would have thought. I'm only a few minutes into testing but so far the speed is definitely noticeable. Moving in and out of apps is seamless and I am getting no keyboard lag when typing on Internet pages. Pages seem to load quicker as well. I am loving the new default font it is using for Internet pages. It is just extremely crisp and seems to pop.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes in portrait mode it is a lot smoother. I do like the new consistency across tablets and phones, makes it seem more whole along with my Nexus S.

Sent from my Xoom

Reactions: reishus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC