[Guide] How to flash ICS on a Stock LTE Xoom

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
awesome. Gonna give it a shot. If i sub the wifi only build from the thread explaining it, then follow the instructions in this thread youre saying i should be good to go then?

doclee07

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The first time I rebooted after installing the three files the screen went to the batwings followed by the shimmering android logo. I plugged in my charger and let it sit awhile, at least a half hour, but it could have been closer to an hour (got caught up in the giants game). When I went back to it the Xoom was ready.

Been running it fairly hard today, trying out various apps and all seems to be functioning fine. Good luck to you all.

Morlince

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks OP for the informative post, you really went the extra mile compiling all the info for all of us.

Here is how it went down for me...

Just FYI, before this guide i was already rooted running the stock rom with a clockwork mod recovery.

I downloaded Zone's ICS rom, as recommended by the OP.

I moved the Zone zip and the Gapps zip to the root of my xoom internal storage, i did not use microsd cards.

I shut down then booted up into recovery. Made a backup, wiped data, then installed the Zone zip.

It started right up into ICS, no issues. I DID NOT install the Gapps and all the google apps were already in the build.

To Note: When it first starts up and gets past the shimmering android text it will ask how you want to run the application. Choose 'Startup Wizard'

I DID NOT have to Root again, Superuser app and TB was included in the rom so it must already be rooted.

Dont know if this will help anyone but there ya go.

/\\/\\orlince

Morlince

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Would it be better to boot into ics before rooting?

It doesnt make a difference whether you do it before your first boot into ICS or not. Besides, try running a rooted application once you get in to your programs and you may find you didn't lose root during the install. That's how it happened for me.

drwolcot

May 16, 2011
Visit site
update... I got mine working... I thought my sd card was formatted correctly. I formatted the sd card in CWM and it was able to boot just fine. Running with no issues so far

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks OP for the informative post, you really went the extra mile compiling all the info for all of us.

Here is how it went down for me...

Just FYI, before this guide i was already rooted running the stock rom with a clockwork mod recovery.

I downloaded Zone's ICS rom, as recommended by the OP.

I moved the Zone zip and the Gapps zip to the root of my xoom internal storage, i did not use microsd cards.

I shut down then booted up into recovery. Made a backup, wiped data, then installed the Zone zip.

It started right up into ICS, no issues. I DID NOT install the Gapps and all the google apps were already in the build.

To Note: When it first starts up and gets past the shimmering android text it will ask how you want to run the application. Choose 'Startup Wizard'

I DID NOT have to Root again, Superuser app and TB was included in the rom so it must already be rooted.

Dont know if this will help anyone but there ya go.

/\\/\\orlince

lol - that's all really funny! I originally said in the post that I wasn't sure what you did and didn't need, but I said I did it this way so I know it works! Still really funny. So, maybe you just need the ROM. I told you that ROM is badass!

Suicidetuna

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I went thru this step by step and everything seemed to go well, until I got to the blue android. the first time I sat there for almost 20 minutes. I then decided to try and format my sd card with CWM. Now I have been on the blue android for 20 minutes again. I am going to stick it out for 10 more minutes.

Is there any other things that I might try? I was going to go into CWM and perform a data wipe.

Thanks

FIX!!! I went in and did a data wipe and a dalvik, then re-seated my sd card. booted to setup screen within 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: usman

Suicidetuna

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I lost root after all of this. I tried to re-run the Universal root.zip

I can not get any app that requires root access to run.

ANy suggestion?

kpr101

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So, I just followed the directions that you have listed and the only thing that was really different from what I done on my phones is unlocking the bootloader. My device works great and I an actually video chatting with a friend while I thank you for your ramblings(Instructions). They worked great!!!!! Awesome ;) :D

Morlince

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I lost root after all of this. I tried to re-run the Universal root.zip

I can not get any app that requires root access to run.

ANy suggestion?

So you ran the Universal root.zip from the CWM interface? That should be all you need to do at this point.

/\\/\\orlince

sixtimes

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I went thru this step by step and everything seemed to go well, until I got to the blue android. the first time I sat there for almost 20 minutes. I then decided to try and format my sd card with CWM. Now I have been on the blue android for 20 minutes again. I am going to stick it out for 10 more minutes.

Is there any other things that I might try? I was going to go into CWM and perform a data wipe.

Thanks

FIX!!! I went in and did a data wipe and a dalvik, then re-seated my sd card. booted to setup screen within 2 minutes.

That fix worked for me too. Thanks!

greywolf1987

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

Please elaborate on what exactly you did. Did you clear cache, then reload the three .zip files, the reboot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs