[Guide] How to flash ICS on a Stock LTE Xoom

evi1penguin

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Stuck on Android boot screen, same as most.... only glitch i noticed was after I flashed the boot.img, when i mounted the sd card on my pc, there were NO files on it..... I continued on just hoping it was normal..... Any ideas?

Reactions: Capnwalker

evi1penguin

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Figured it out.... the key is Data Wipe and SD format thru CWM.... which is probably in the instructions if i bothered to look back.

Also lost root... what gives?

***Also, before I could give adb commands, I had to direct to the platform tools folder:

cd c:\XXXXX\android-sdk\platform-tools

Last edited:
Reactions: JediJesus95

Capnwalker

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I also had to go to the platform tools folder

i have let the blue android run all night ( i was doing it very late!)
after some experimenting ( did the data wipe then the sd card 1st)
i found the order that worked for me:
1: I did a reseat of the sd card,
2: formatted it thru cwm
3: then did a data wipe...

booted to main setup in like 45 seconds
( i did have to skip the 1st screen too with the touch the corners method)
and right now i'm having problems re-activating the xoom, but I'm in a nominal area)
:)

ps: thanks for all the comments they were very helpful.. this is my 1st time rooting a tab and it was a little harder that my incredible but not horrible!
pps: I've been using the forums for awhile and this is the 1st time i've posted about anything! thanks for such a great/detailed post!

Last edited:

Capnwalker

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I may have made a mistake.
I assumed i had all the updates, but i did not have the 3g to 4g update ( i think) as it was running 3g ( i may have already said that i'm in a nominal service area... no 4g here yet!)
so now my xoom will not reactivate on the Verizon network. do you have any helpful hints as the direction i should go? should i go get a 4g card? what does anybody think? it works perfectly well on wifi , but i have no bars of service even in places i used to have service. manually program it maybe? I'm going to wait to do anything until i get a little input from some of you fine people!!!

Thanks!

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I may have made a mistake.
I assumed i had all the updates, but i did not have the 3g to 4g update ( i think) as it was running 3g ( i may have already said that i'm in a nominal service area... no 4g here yet!)
so now my xoom will not reactivate on the Verizon network. do you have any helpful hints as the direction i should go? should i go get a 4g card? what does anybody think? it works perfectly well on wifi , but i have no bars of service even in places i used to have service. manually program it maybe? I'm going to wait to do anything until i get a little input from some of you fine people!!!

Thanks!

I was hoping someone would know something for you here... I would think that the radio for 3g would still work, but at thebsame time I could also see that the hardware is replaced to become a single piece of hardware that runs 4g and 3g at the same time. So, there are roms out there that allow you to go back to the stock device stuff...

My opinion, you should find the stock software from before the 4g update, lock your boot loader again, unroot and send in the device for upgrade. Of corset by then, ICS might be out for real by then...

Good luck!

Reactions: Capnwalker

vellos

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have issues similar to those described by migespy and evi1penguin. I followed the guide but still can't make the CWM "boot.img" flash to the sd card in my MZ602. With drivers installed and the usb connected to PC I can move files and write to the formatted sd card but, after numerous attempts on multiple cards I can't get the CWM to flash to the sd card.

My MZ602 was sock and with all known updates as of yesterday afternoon. I don't know if I could write from my xoom to the sd card prior to that. I can write (or at least move files) from the internal storage to the sd card, so, is it possible to flash to a protected internal area and then move the files to the card?

Thanks in advance.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have issues similar to those described by migespy and evi1penguin. I followed the guide but still can't make the CWM "boot.img" flash to the sd card in my MZ602. With drivers installed and the usb connected to PC I can move files and write to the formatted sd card but, after numerous attempts on multiple cards I can't get the CWM to flash to the sd card.

My MZ602 was sock and with all known updates as of yesterday afternoon. I don't know if I could write from my xoom to the sd card prior to that. I can write (or at least move files) from the internal storage to the sd card, so, is it possible to flash to a protected internal area and then move the files to the card?

Thanks in advance.

I don't remember if we ever got migespy fixed... Have you tried a different SD card? I think I suggested that one time but don't remember hearing back. Give it a shot.

vellos

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply and the effort to compile the guide. I have tried other cards and once again starting from a fresh card and fresh oem unlock. This time when I tried to flash the boot.img I find a folder labeled LOST.DIR whose properties read 0 bytes. I apoligize for not listing the LOST.DIR in the previous post but it also happened with other cards.

I also read that others have been able to format cards through CWM. Maybe I can try that on my kid's archos.

Thanks again, I would not have tried this without your compilation/explanation.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
When you format your card, be sure that you are formatting it as a FAT32 file system, not the NTFS file system. It actually does matter on these devices.

Reactions: vellos

vellos

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
At last success!!! CWM was flashed internally each time. I wrote the three zip files to the card from my PC then installed them from CWM which initiated (from the internal recovery partition) after entering recovery mode.

I also did a data wipe after the rom hung during initial boot-up but, on the second try it was up in 2minutes.

Lastly, thanks a bunch for the guidance. :)

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
At last success!!! CWM was flashed internally each time. I wrote the three zip files to the card from my PC then installed them from CWM which initiated (from the internal recovery partition) after entering recovery mode.

I also did a data wipe after the rom hung during initial boot-up but, on the second try it was up in 2minutes.

Lastly, thanks a bunch for the guidance. :)

awesome! Glad it all worked out for you. Now goof around with the over clocking and really unleash the power!

evi1penguin

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Question on this whole situation.... Everything works great.... But when I try to go back to stock and relock, I have not been able to connect to my pc in debugging mode since i flashed this rom. It always connects as a media device no matter what i do. Any ideas on this? I dont want to be stuck with this forever, as much as i like it.

EDIT: Figured it out. Debugging mode on this rom/ICS in general looks identical to connecting as a media device. In fact it even says "connected as media dvc".

New question though: I am supposed to be rooted, but have been unable to use any root-requiring apps. Thoughts on why?

Last edited:

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How hard is it to go back to stock after doing this process?

I haven't done this... but while doing this my first time, I did a lot of reading. Some of that reading was about relocking and going back to stock, and from what I saw, it wasn't that terribly difficult. The commands are different, for instance, the command to unlock turns into a lock command. But I think you had to install the stock version, then relock, but again, I'm not sure completely as it was only reading done while researching. And since that was not my intention to learn about this, I don't remember it completely.

dr.valderrama

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
hi
i would like to thank you for this amazing tutorial
i?m just troubled because i took every step to the bottom but now, all of things done, my xoom will not start up in about 8 hours with the blu blinking "android" logo. :'( could you help me please, i?m going nuts now
thanks in advance.

edit: ok i figured it out thx to all of you guys
theres still something that bothers me, i got locked up on boot in the clock screen , so i drag the lock but it doesn?t unlock the screen so i can?t go in to start the activation process, i tried the touching corners method but it has no effect, any suggestions ?
thx

edit: lol . solution, hit the corners faster, haha, thx to baspilot, nicely done

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888