[Guide] How to flash ICS on a Stock LTE Xoom

thrasher 32000

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

This is a great guide and I was able to follow all the steps. However, I've been stuck on the "shimmering android" almost two hours. I wiped the cache, davlik and reseated the sd card but to no avail.

Can I get some help, please?

Thrasher 32000

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This seems to be a sudden thing that people are getting stuck on that step. I don't know why that is happening, I haven't changed anything on this post. I wouldn't expect that it suddenly stops working. I know we have had a few guys have that happen and then later they say they fixed it. I had a Nook Color that was stuck on the initial loading screen. The problem there was needing an additional SDcard to throw in that was preformatted and it worked just fine. I have suggested that others that were stuck here try that solution, but no one has reported back what they did to make it work and whether it was the SDcard that did it.

Thus, my only suggestion right now is to give the SDcard a try... see if that helps.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

thrasher 32000

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and I'll try it. I did use the two sd card method to start with. Do you have a suggestions if I still meet with the same result of stuck"shimmering android"? Do I repeat the process and if so, what steps?

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I would go back into CWM and then do the wipes. Those are found under Mounts and Storage, I think. I'm pretty sure that's where they are. Do format data, format divlik (spelled right?), and format .... dang... what else is it... .... I remember formatting boot, but I'm not sure that's the last one I'm looking for.

After formatting a few things, go back to install via SDcard and choose zip from SDcard and reinstall stuff. From there, you might get a better install this time.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
No problem, I hope it works out for you. I will be hanging around tonight, so I will try to look in and find out what you got as a result.

thrasher 32000

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I said I would try again the first of the week but I couldn't wait.

I've read all the replies a few times and there seems to be a common solution and that is to perform a wipe. What's not clear is when. I've read other instructions from providers like you and they recommend performing a wipe right after the ICS is installed and before GAPPS is installed. Also, some even suggest a wipe after GAPPS is installed. I did this (and of course following your last recommendation to me) and I'm good.

I would suggest that you edit your installation instructions to include performing a wipe and dalvik right after the ICS:

"You want to install the zips in this order.

Xoom.Zone.ICS.1.9.12.v2 - This is ICS (that's why it says ICS in the name!) - (wipe cache/dalvik)
gapps-ics-201111125-2 These are google apps, like market and stuff that makes the google apps work. - (wipe cache/dalvik)
Xoom-Universal-Root - this roots the device"

This may help reduce the amount of people getting stuck at this point. Just a thought. :) :)

oluvinu

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have a xoom mz600 ( Android 3.2.1) it has not been software updated to function with LTE.

Can I still do the root and also intake ICS onto this tablet?
Or do I need to update the tablet software then follow this thread???

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have a xoom mz600 ( Android 3.2.1) it has not been software updated to function with LTE.

Can I still do the root and also intake ICS onto this tablet?
Or do I need to update the tablet software then follow this thread???

I am sorry I forgot to respond to you last night, I meant to, so that's what matters right?

Anyway, when I did this, I didn't do it with a non-up-to-date Xoom. The software was written with the intention of having a 4G radio installed and working. I am not going to speculate on whether it will work or not based on anything more than a really good guess. REMEMBER, I am not telling you to do this, I'm just trying to help you answer your question with my opinions. So, that said, you're decisions are your own, remember that.

As to the answer, In my opinion! I have two schools of thought here on this one. It is based on not knowing exactly how they did the upgrade.

Idea 1: If they took the existing 3G chip out and put in a new chip that is a 3G/4G chip for the radio, then there is a possibility that the drivers or software to run that piece of equipment is different than the software to run the purely 3G radio that was initially in the Xoom. IF (lots of speculation) that is the case, I would assume that you would need the upgrade to run the ICS software and still have your 3G working.

Now, Idea 2: They left a spot in the original board to just ADD a 4G chip later when the time came. If they did this, then they are still able to run the 3G chip and have an independent 4G chip that is run with ADDITIONAL software and stuff no different stuff. SO, if this is the case, then the writers of the ICS software would have written "stuff" to operate the 3G chip as well as "stuff" to operate the 4G chip. AND, if this is the case, then you are good to upgrade and run it just fine because it will recognize that you have the 3G chip and just not have to talk to the 4G.

So, in summary, if the upgrade Removed 3G and replaced it with 3G/4G combo AND different software, you probably don't want to do it. IF (love these if's!) they only added a 4G chip next to the existing 3G chip, then you are likely good to go.

In the end, there is just the 1 week process to get this thing upgraded that is free to you if you take advantage of it, so I don't see why to not do it.

Your call in the end, hope my logic is followable.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
whats the process of going back to stock? is it hard?

Going completely back would require basically the whole process in reverse order. You'd need to load on CWM on, and then load the stock software, then relock the boot loader. Basically, undoing everything we did. I'm not exactly sure on this process and how it works, but there are step by step guides out there.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
wow..ya I can wait untill its released :)

Going completely back would require basically the whole process in reverse order. You'd need to load on CWM on, and then load the stock software, then relock the boot loader. Basically, undoing everything we did. I'm not exactly sure on this process and how it works, but there are step by step guides out there.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
it's actually easy to go back to stock... it's worth the time to get ICS on your Xoom. Feels like an entirely brand new device.

obeckles

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
There is hope! I have been going thru this thread and others. Reading this forum and others (xda) and it can be done. At 2am this morning...I got it running.

1. Use LIAOT (spelling) tools to unlock boot loader (I didnt have any luck with the other functions it provide)
2. Use Youtube video to do a Universal Unroot
3. Use Rom Manager to load the ClockworkRecovery feature
4. Used the CW feature to back things up.
5. Used the CW feature to load the team EOS rom version 69 from 2/26/2012
6. Up and running

Only thing I found not working was Beautiful Widgets

So....keep swinging!

SOAP BOX: Of course if Big Red would just add the radios to the Wifi version they have we would all be allset. If the hardware people want to over take Apple they HAVE TO UPGRADE the software as fast as possible. It is way to sloooooooow now. Think about what it would be like if we have to go thru this on your PC if everytime a new version of windows appeared you had to wait till you computer company released a version for your computer. OMG! :eek:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to the OP and, also the other posters. I basically figured it out reading you guys comments and going on XDA. The Xoom runs really nice on ICS. :)