Couldn't Play the Track You Requested

Ronicus

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Motorola Xoom (WiFi) to ICS (4.0.3).

I have my music stored in two separate locations: Internal Storage and SD Card.

When I launch the "Music" application and try to play my music, it can't play some of the songs. Specifically, it tells me "Couldn't play the track you requested".

I've tried clearing the cache for the "Music" application, rebooting, waiting for everything to index, etc. But I still continue to get these error messages. I can play the songs when I click on them from an application like ES File Explorer, but not from the Music app.

I did a bunch of Google/Forum queries to see if I can find anyone that has the same issues, but have not found any similar posts.

Any thoughts you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Ronicus

OlReagan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, it could not play any music off my sd card. Oddly enough, it even showed I had 4 copies of each file when I plugged the card into my computer. I formatted the card (make sure you backup important stuff!!), put the music back on and it works fine now.

DACNET

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I continue to have this same issue after the ICS upgrade. Funny thing is that it works sometimes. I can even go to file manager/root explorer and individually play a song through Google Music.

ronjohn66

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
After the 4.0.3 update I get the "Couldn't play the track you requested" when I try to play music. When I connect the tablet to the computer I get an error message that it does not recognize the device.
I removed the sd card and deleted the music and reinstalled the files but I still get the same error message.
Ice cream sandwich (4.x) is not all that I was hoping for!

Ronicus

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I restored the tablet to factory default (which gave me a clean install of ICS), reformatted the sdcard, and copied my music back to the SD card.

It seemed to work for a day, but now I get the same error message.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks

rotifer88

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is that the cache that Android uses to keep track of all the music has gotten out of synch with the actual contents of your droid. When Google Music tries to play your files, they are not there.

Try the following: (1) erase all the music on your droid; (2) go to Settings -> Apps -> Media Storage -> Clear Data ; (3) reimport all of your music onto the droid.

Also, consider using WinAmp instead of the Google Music player as it seems to be a little more robust to these kinds of problems (and I prefer the interface).

Hope that helps.

Empress416

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone

Please explain to me what reformatted the sdcard is. I have been having the same problems as Ronicusd and OlReagan and have tried everything. I even sent my tablet back to Motorola and it came back with the same problem.

I don't think I have reformatted the sdcard. I am new computers so if this is silly question I apologise.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This just started happening to me today. This sucks. Do you know how long it takes to put over 20gig of music onto an SD card? :mad::':)-\:p:mad:

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Follow the above advice for clearing the media storage data... then simply download any "Rescan Media" app from the market and run it. Give it time to rescan your media and it should be good to go.

Thank you!!! I was about to go crazy and :eek: buy an iPad :eek:

I need my music or I would shoot someone at work.

This worked exactly as you described! I can not give you enough thanks!

Here is a link to the Android Market of the "Rescan Media" app that I used: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...NvbS5hZGR6Lm1lZGlhc2Nhbm5lciJd&token=cVOT5Hn9

Reactions: dadavises

jwcurry83

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!!! I was about to go crazy and :eek: buy an iPad :eek:

I need my music or I would shoot someone at work.

This worked exactly as you described! I can not give you enough thanks!

Here is a link to the Android Market of the "Rescan Media" app that I used: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...NvbS5hZGR6Lm1lZGlhc2Nhbm5lciJd&token=XHqHWUy7

Not a problem.. I actually signed up for an account just to post on this thread because this issue was driving me crazy and I finally found a solution. I am happy I could save someone some of the frustration that I experience that last few days ;)

jaydw

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks jwcurry83, I consider myself pretty savy but I was going nuts trying to figure this problem out on my new evo 4g lte.

jauhari#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Solution is simple... Go To

Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Music

Then Force Stop this App and do Clear data, then go to your Google Play Music again and this App will re scan you media and DONE.. you problem has gone :)

Jay9186

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello friends,
I also had the same problem after upgrading to ICS but I finally found the perfect solution. You don't have to format you sdcard and nothing like that. Just do the following:
1) Delete all the songs from your sdcard and internal storage.
2) Now Shut down your xoom and remove sdcard.
3) Insert sdcard in and turn on xoom again.
4) Now after xoom boots up, go to settings>developer options>usb debugging mode and start debugging mode.
5) Now just connect your xoom to your computer and transfer your music to sdcard.
6) You won't have any problem whatsoever after this. This will even fix lag problems on 320 kbps songs.

Hope this will help you out.:cool:

ahmadalmousa

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The guys that suggested to clean up the Media Storage are awesomest guys ever !!
The sole reason that I registered is to say ... you're da man :p

I cann't thank you enough as this dumb problem was driving me crazy !!
I'm really not sure what would be the purpose of media rescaning if it doesn't reindex the whole thing not only adding to the library ....
I hope someone with knowledge let Google know about this!

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
My God I was having this issue, it kept happening after 3 resets. So glad I saw this thread. It was driving ME INSANE. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonicmrsumo

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm still having loads of issues after following the above steps. Have deleted all music from device and SD card, have cleared data, have rescanned, have restarted Xoom, and the music player STILL sees all the old music that no longer exists.

This is enough to make me think that Android is as cr@p as iOS!!

bobguitar

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, it could not play any music off my sd card. Oddly enough, it even showed I had 4 copies of each file when I plugged the card into my computer. I formatted the card (make sure you backup important stuff!!), put the music back on and it works fine now.

You didn't have to format the SD card. Although oddly, it accomplished the same result as doing the following: Go to settings/storage. In the right panel scroll down to the bottom and tap "unmount SD card". When it unmounts, simply remove the card from the Xoom, then plug it back in. That's it. Open (any) music app and the problem should be resolved after the player scans the SD card for music files. This, btw also solves the problem of duplicate songs being listed in albums, even though you know there is only one copy of each song there (by checking the file folder either on the Xoom or through Windows explorer).;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs