Are they ever going to release ICS for LTE

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on my Xoom. Unless Google makes some changes to how Motorola Mobile is run, I will not be making any more purchases of their products,

In my opinion, the Xoom was never given the attention it deserved by Motorola. I think one of the reasons for the delay for upgrading it to 4G LTE was the development of the Xoom 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on my Xoom. Unless Google makes some changes to how Motorola Mobile is run, I will not be making any more purchases of their products,

In my opinion, the Xoom was never given the attention it deserved by Motorola. I think one of the reasons for the delay for upgrading it to 4G LTE was the development of the Xoom 2.

you gave up your xoom cause they havnt released an update yet? taking things to extreme huh? ROOT IT, then you can use it again. rooted mine and love it cant put it down now. there really is no difference in look between ICS and HC. being rooted it just runs faster. cause i have it overclocked to 1.2 with toot access you can do that. with stock you cant. ICS is not a huge deal really. rooting is

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
you gave up your xoom cause they havnt released an update yet? taking things to extreme huh? ROOT IT, then you can use it again. rooted mine and love it cant put it down now. there really is no difference in look between ICS and HC. being rooted it just runs faster. cause i have it overclocked to 1.2 with toot access you can do that. with stock you cant. ICS is not a huge deal really. rooting is

That is one of the reasons.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go ahead and root the Xoom. I've unlocked the bootloader on my Gnex and rooted my Galaxy Note and, I'm starting to get a little more comfortable doing this stuff.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I put ICS codename 1.5.5 on my Xoom and it's an incredible tablet now. I love it. Smooth at butter, no lag, does everything in the world. I use it daily w/ a BT Logitech keyboard, a mouse attachment, and yes it's 4G but I tether through my Droid Charge or Gnex and it's just fast as can be. running it at 1.5 ghz too.
HDMI
32gb
32gb external card
won't snap in half and can take a beating.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I put ICS codename 1.5.5 on my Xoom and it's an incredible tablet now. I love it. Smooth at butter, no lag, does everything in the world. I use it daily w/ a BT Logitech keyboard, a mouse attachment, and yes it's 4G but I tether through my Droid Charge or Gnex and it's just fast as can be. running it at 1.5 ghz too.
HDMI
32gb
32gb external card
won't snap in half and can take a beating.

Why do you beat your Xoom? :confused:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Going to be testing another update for wifi xoom soon. Hopefully its 4.0.5 and make ics stable enough for carrier updates to there xooms.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I rooted and installed ICS on my Xoom and love it. After rooting both the Xoom and Galaxy Note, I'm not sure I ever want to wait on the carrier or Google again for updates. As soon as a good stable ICS rom for the At&t Galaxy note comes out I'm getting it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and installed ICS on my Xoom and love it. After rooting both the Xoom and Galaxy Note, I'm not sure I ever want to wait on the carrier or Google again for updates. As soon as a good stable ICS rom for the At&t Galaxy note comes out I'm getting it.

That's great! I'm glad that is working well for you. :)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Having rooted my Xoom and installed ICS, I can tell you to take that Xoom off the shelf and either use it or hack it. There really isn't that big a difference between HC and ICS to let the thing sit there, and if you're that anxious, just root it already. There certainly is no reason to think you'd be better off with an iPad.

I am not anxious at all about getting ICS. I have a chromebook and that has basically replaced the Xoom. I am in disbelief that Motorola has not updated the Xoom yet with ICS. This tablet was hyped like crazy....

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzydKdyAjps[/YT]

Check out the big lie at :28...

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am not anxious at all about getting ICS. I have a chromebook and that has basically replaced the Xoom. I am in disbelief that Motorola has not updated the Xoom yet with ICS. This tablet was hyped like crazy....

Click to view quoted video

Check out the big lie at :28...

I'm in disbelief about a few things:
1) As you are, I'm in disbelief that Motorola has not updated the XOOM.
2) I'm in disbelief you think they "hyped like crazy..." ;-) I think Motorola fell silent and stayed that way, for the most part. The lack of marketing for this product was simply astounding. It's as if they thought it would sell itself. And don't get me started on the meager few actual ads they did make. The one you displayed is the best one. The others where just so damn confusing for the average consumer!
3) I'm in disbelief that anyone with a 4G XOOM is still waiting for ICS when a great ROM like Eos is out there. They can have everything they want right now. It's so friggin' easy. Just follow the instructions. Why on Earth would anyone wait for Motorola.

I will not consider another Motorola product until Google settles in and purges the jack-a_ses running that company.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm in disbelief about a few things:
1) As you are, I'm in disbelief that Motorola has not updated the XOOM.
2) I'm in disbelief you think they "hyped like crazy..." ;-) I think Motorola fell silent and stayed that way, for the most part. The lack of marketing for this product was simply astounding. It's as if they thought it would sell itself. And don't get me started on the meager few actual ads they did make. The one you displayed is the best one. The others where just so damn confusing for the average consumer!
3) I'm in disbelief that anyone with a 4G XOOM is still waiting for ICS when a great ROM like Eos is out there. They can have everything they want right now. It's so friggin' easy. Just follow the instructions. Why on Earth would anyone wait for Motorola.

I will not consider another Motorola product until Google settles in and purges the jack-a_ses running that company.

I agree. The whole Xoom launch was a disaster IMO. The shame of it all is it's not a bad device and is solidly built. However no one knows or cares about it, except a few geeks. There are a few glitches but, for the most part; The EOS rom running ICS is very smooth and it's like a new tablet.
In some ways ICS runs better on the Xoom than the Galaxy nexus but, that could be a result in tweaks in the rom, I'm not sure.

The one thing to understand is a lot of people, even some on here are not into rooting their devices and just want them to work. Sure, it's fun for geeks like us but not everyone is into that.

I disagree with those who say ICS is not that different from honeycomb. I think it's vastly better. Sure, the UI looks and operates in similar ways but, ICS runs a lot smoother and uses the hardware better IMO.

It's going to be fun when Google fully integrates with Motorola mobility. If they do it right, we may see some of the best pure Google devices in the future.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
and yet the Xoom and the Galaxy Nexus I have shine after being rooted and Codename 1.5.5 put on them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The one thing to understand is a lot of people, even some on here are not into rooting their devices and just want them to work. Sure, it's fun for geeks like us but not everyone is into that.
In my opinion, a customer should not have to root their device.
I totally understand the desire not to root, but when faced with a situation like this one, it's time to step outside one's comfort zone. ;-)

Imagine you bought a car with a faulty air intake. It choked the engine, caused black smoke to spew from the tailpipe, and the car just wasn't what you expected it to be. ...wasn't what you *knew* it could be. And the car maker seems to have abandoned all the owners of that car.

Now imagine some aftermarket manufacturer made an air intake that fixed all those problems. The perfect air/fuel balance was achieved. The car ran GREAT!!! And the sooty exhaust was gone. Also imagine this aftermarket company providing easy "step by step" instructions for removing the old air intake and installing the new one.

Why would anyone wait? Yeah, I get the idea of people not wanting to go under the hood, but we've been abandoned by Motorola. The only thing out there offering relief are the rom developers... and people are providing easy "step by step" instructions.

It's a pity, because the solution is here. It's been here for quite some time. The tablet runs fantastically under ICS. There's no magic here. Just carefully read and follow the directions. No inner-geek needed.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, a customer should not have to root their device. I have rooted everything I have owned except my Xoom and my Galaxy Nexus.

I agree. I also think that it is high time for both the manufacturer as well as VZW to have better follow through when updates and upgrades are announced. Waiting upwards of 5 and 6 months, seeing multiple new devices released in that time and still not have the updates and upgrades out is just wrong.

Then again, I think the Xoom has been one royal mess up since its introduction. The upgrade of the device to 4G LTE and the poor handling of the upgrade drove me away from purchasing any new Motorola products. That will not change if Google doesn't make significant changes to Motorola Mobile. Probably the biggest thing is first and foremost knock off the multiple phone releases of virtually the same phone within a couple of months each other, the next thing they would need to do is get rid Blur. An all vanilla Android experience is what would be needed to get me back.

Motorola and VZW, are once again dragging their feet on the upgrade to ICS.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
and yet the Xoom and the Galaxy Nexus I have shine after being rooted and Codename 1.5.5 put on them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone is disputing that. At least in my opinion, all that is being said, is that these devices shouldn't require rooting in order to have the current OS's.

Reactions: cordoni

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, a customer should not have to root their device. I have rooted everything I have owned except my Xoom and my Galaxy Nexus.

As one of those who have not (yet) rooted my LTE Xoom and flashed ICS, I wanted to second this comment from ChuckG73.

While I am confident that I could successfully follow the steps outlined in the guide posted at the top of this forum, I do not relish the idea of having to do so much work (the installation of the Android SDK tools, just to get started, for instance) just to get to the point that I can void any warranty I have left.

And, there is always the possibility that something would go wrong, I would end up spending additional hours trying to restore any function at all to my Xoom. I've come to rely heavily on it for my typical work-days. I don't feel like risking it functionality just for the improvements that ICE promises.

Yet, as the delay goes on (and I become increasingly convinced that Verizon just doesn't want to put in the effort, and hopes that it's Xoom customers will all just upgrade devices before they have to actually have to provide the update), I begin to consider biting the bullet and doing the ICS upgrade myself.

I understand that there is more than one version for LTE Xoom available? If so, which have others found to be the best options, and where is it to be found. And, I'm assuming that the (Verizon) LTE functionality is in no way compromised?

The fact that ICS was made available for the WiFi Xoom's suggests to me that Google and Motorola are less to blame than is Verizon for the delay for LTE Xooms.

And still, there is plenty of blame to go around for the over-all lack of success of the OG Xoom. The Xoom itself is, and always was, a fine device in it' sown right. But, Google failed in convincing developers to take advantage of the abilities of the Xoom (and all Android tablets, for that matter) and to write apps for Android tablets. Motorola failed to promote the Xoom, and divided it's efforts into too many other devices.

My Xoom keeps functioning, and doing a very good job for me, even if stuck in Honeycomb Limbo. I plan to keep right on using it until it dies. But, I will be upgrading to another tablet device sooner or later.

Software-wise, I have relatively little invested into Android, so I'm quite willing to jump-ship if the Windows 8 tablets turn out to have enhanced functionality, as it seems to be promising. And, it seems that the Windows 8 tablets could have bigger screen sizes - which suits me as well.

I find it quite disappointing that that Google, with all it's resources, put (comparability) so little into the tablets, and basically just ceded to battle to the iPad. The world is really only just waking up to what tablets can provide for users. Google started out quite well-positioned to take advantage of the market that was just developing, but failed to make a serious effort.

To me, it's like they had the ball, first-and-ten at their 20 after Apple scored first and kicked-off to Google. But, instead of trying to drive for a tying score, their firsts play from scrimmage didn't result in a touchdown, so they elected to punt on second down.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I understand that there is more than one version for LTE Xoom available? If so, which have others found to be the best options, and where is it to be found. And, I'm assuming that the (Verizon) LTE functionality is in no way compromised?

Obviously, start with the sticky guide in the "Xoom Rooting, ROMs and Hacks" section of this thread. I'm running the Eos ROM. It's awesome.
[ROM][Nightly][ICS] Team Eos European 3G (GSM) Nightlies (umts_everest/MZ601) - xda-developers

The fact that ICS was made available for the WiFi Xoom's suggests to me that Google and Motorola are less to blame than is Verizon for the delay for LTE Xooms.
Google isn't to be blamed at all. The delay in support is the fault of either Motorola, Verizon, or (as I believe) both.

And still, there is plenty of blame to go around for the over-all lack of success of the OG Xoom. The Xoom itself is, and always was, a fine device in it' sown right. But, Google failed in convincing developers to take advantage of the abilities of the Xoom (and all Android tablets, for that matter) and to write apps for Android tablets. Motorola failed to promote the Xoom, and divided it's efforts into too many other devices.
And let us not forget that every vendor on the planet was announcing and hyping their Android tablet, confusing the crap out of the average Joe on the street. Then... if things weren't already bad enough... Nvidia was sending out news blips about their new quad-core and how all the new Android tablets will benefit from quad-core. Holy Cow!!! Did the Nvidia people get their marketing degrees in Cracker Jack boxes?! They just gutted the existing dual core tablets... which were based on their existing product... killing the volumes they were hoping to ship!!! Doh! It was as if you had a room full of stooges, all slapping each other and poking each other in the eyes.

I'm quite willing to jump-ship if the Windows 8 tablets turn out to have enhanced functionality, as it seems to be promising. And, it seems that the Windows 8 tablets could have bigger screen sizes - which suits me as well.
Yes. Me too. I think Android will be gutted by a successful Windows tablet. The Apple fan boys won't budge. It's their nature to be told what to do and how to do it. ;-)

But the Android crowd is looking for functionality, flexibility and capability. Google has made some great starts, but continues to fail to excute fully. Look at Google Docs as an example. Why isn't that as functional as MSOffice by now? I predict the Android crowd will mass migrate to Windows IF it proves to be a better platform. That's a big "if" right now.

ericbergan

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Google isn't to be blamed at all. The delay in support is the fault of either Motorola, Verizon, or (as I believe) both.

Actually, this is part of the problem. Google acts like they just throw it over the wall to other vendors to deal with, whether its distribution, support, patent issues, etc. But in the real world, customers want to buy a finished product, and don't care who is responsible for what. If Google wants Android to succeed, they need to realize they have to work (i.e. add clauses to their contracts) with the hw vendors and carriers to make their product competitive with the Apple offerings, with timely releases, etc.

eric