Are they ever going to release ICS for LTE

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, this is part of the problem. Google acts like they just throw it over the wall to other vendors to deal with, whether its distribution, support, patent issues, etc. But in the real world, customers want to buy a finished product, and don't care who is responsible for what. If Google wants Android to succeed, they need to realize they have to work (i.e. add clauses to their contracts) with the hw vendors and carriers to make their product competitive with the Apple offerings, with timely releases, etc.

eric

Since we are in the XOOM forum, I'm going to agree with you for this particular case. I believe Google, Motorola, and Verizon pitched the XOOM as the "nexus" of tablets. In that context, I have to agree that Google has some responsibility to push/require it's licensees to support that product for a period of time (let's say two years).

Outside of the "Google experience devices", I don't agree. Google can not add restrictions and controls when the very attraction of Android to device manufacturers is there are few restrictions and controls.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The whole Xoom launch was a disaster IMO. The shame of it all is it's not a bad device and is solidly built. However no one knows or cares about it, except a few geeks. There are a few glitches but, for the most part; The EOS rom running ICS is very smooth and it's like a new tablet.
In some ways ICS runs better on the Xoom than the Galaxy nexus but, that could be a result in tweaks in the rom, I'm not sure.

The one thing to understand is a lot of people, even some on here are not into rooting their devices and just want them to work. Sure, it's fun for geeks like us but not everyone is into that.

I disagree with those who say ICS is not that different from honeycomb. I think it's vastly better. Sure, the UI looks and operates in similar ways but, ICS runs a lot smoother and uses the hardware better IMO.

It's going to be fun when Google fully integrates with Motorola mobility. If they do it right, we may see some of the best pure Google devices in the future.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

The Xoom launch was a disaster. The upgrade to LTE was also a disaster in my opinion. At least for me that is when Motorola lost me. After almost a decade of purchasing almost exclusively Motorola mobile devices I feel as if Motorola is no longer interested in producing and supporting quality products. Their goal is to crank out as many new products as possible instead.

It would not surprise me if they have a far larger staff planning the release of whatever the next generation tablet is than they do working on getting ICS ready for launch on their existing tablet line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This freakin sucks! We were the ones that got the Xoom first, yet the Wifi folks are on their second upgrade. I wonder if this hurts Motorola or Verizon's customer image at all. One can only hope.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I believe ICS is coming...I heard the Ice Cream truck last night. The music seemed to be coming from every direction and I could not pin point its exact location, but tonight I will climb up the large oak in the back yard and see if I can spot it. And when I find it, I am going to take them my Xoom LTE and hand it to them and refuse to take it back until they have put an Ice Cream Sandwich on my Xoom LTE. Then I will share it wth the world!!!!!! :cool:

asabino

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am also waiting ..and I think I'm also done with my XOOM.. bought on day one...and the bionic just was the icing on the cake....

Lare2

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I dont mind waiting for ICS to come to this tablet. What really makes me angry is the total silence from Motorola, Google and Verizon about the issue. If they at least could tell us they are working on it, but no, nothing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
At this point I could care less. The Xoom has never been given the attention it deserves. This is just another example. Even the wifi version received ICS.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This whole experience taught me all about loyalties. I thought that the Xoom (4g) being a GED would at least be supported with software. Since then, however, I have seen Motorola and Google leave it high and dry since last year with Motorola and January for Google. It almost seems as if it became an afterthought at Motorola's headquarters shortly after release...

If I had bought a Droid Bionic in addition to my Xoom last year, I would be ripping my hair out right now.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Still waiting...... My Xoom still works fine, but I would like some ICS love from VZW... At this point my contract will be up before they push an update.....That is IF they push an update... :-(

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This whole experience taught me all about loyalties. I thought that the Xoom (4g) being a GED would at least be supported with software. Since then, however, I have seen Motorola and Google leave it high and dry since last year with Motorola and January for Google. It almost seems as if it became an afterthought at Motorola's headquarters shortly after release...

If I had bought a Droid Bionic in addition to my Xoom last year, I would be ripping my hair out right now.

I'm one of the people who was stupid enough to do that.

After being a very long time, loyal Motorola customer I have made the choice to not purchase anymore Motorola products.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'd say give Google the benefit of the doubt on this one. After all, the WiFi XOOM got ICS.

IMHO, Motorola and Verizon left us high and dry.

As many, including me, have said:
All 4G XOOM owners should stop waiting on Motorola and Verizon for ICS. They should root their XOOMs and enjoy the XOOM they always wanted today. It's easy.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting...... My Xoom still works fine, but I would like some ICS love from VZW... At this point my contract will be up before they push an update.....That is IF they push an update... :-(

Jelly Bean will be available before they push an update! :mad:

It's doubtful Motorola and Verizon will ever push out anything more for the 4G XOOM. At this point, it's good money after bad for them.

They balance the cost of making things right with the savings of leaving us all high and dry and any negative repercussions that may bring. From where I sit, there would be no repercussions. Most of the tablets are probably beyond warranty. Many owners (most?) rooted their XOOMs and have been enjoying ICS without Mot spending a penny. Motorola realizes it has pissed off it's current tablet customers. Even if they released ICS for our 4G XOOMs today, would you start loving Mot? Didn't think so. Neither would I. They know this already. They won't come out and announce they are leaving us all up to the developer community, but I think that is exactly what has happened.

They will probably cut the whole program, come out with a completely different line of tablest and start marketing to a new set of prospective owners.

I won't buy another Motorola device unless Google cleans out senior Motorola management. I'd like to see marketing gone too, but I know I can't ask for too much.

ericbergan

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd say give Google the benefit of the doubt on this one. After all, the WiFi XOOM got ICS.

IMHO, Motorola and Verizon left us high and dry.

I disagree, I think it is almost entirely Google's issue. Who has anything to gain by existing hw getting upgraded? Certainly not Moto or Verizon (or Samsung, AT&T, HTC, ...) The company that has something to gain is Google, who is in a fight with Apple and MS, and wants to keep customers on the latest greatest to keep apps and ads.

Google, like MS has, needs to learn how to convince HW/carrier companies to push through the updates. This will require both carrot and stick - some kind of compensation, and threatening to drop them to the bottom of the release schedule or drop them entirely.

Google would like to believe that they just have to throw a release over the wall and all their partners will rush to spend money to qa, distribute, and support it. In my experience, the real world doesn't work that way.

eric

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I disagree, I think it is almost entirely Google's issue. Who has anything to gain by existing hw getting upgraded? Certainly not Moto or Verizon (or Samsung, AT&T, HTC, ...) The company that has something to gain is Google, who is in a fight with Apple and MS, and wants to keep customers on the latest greatest to keep apps and ads.

Google, like MS has, needs to learn how to convince HW/carrier companies to push through the updates. This will require both carrot and stick - some kind of compensation, and threatening to drop them to the bottom of the release schedule or drop them entirely.

Google would like to believe that they just have to throw a release over the wall and all their partners will rush to spend money to qa, distribute, and support it. In my experience, the real world doesn't work that way.

eric

It's Googles job to create the update for each individual manufacturer?

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

eric

Yes, that's exactly how the real world works. I'd be interested in hearing the details of some of those experiences to the contrary.

These are separate autonomous businesses. What you are suggesting is Google should somehow have the authority to force companies to spend money and take on liabilities. No business in their right mind would allow that.

Are you honestly trying to say Google has the expertise and experience to tell Samsung how to make money selling cell phones?

Google simply licenses the OS to manufacturers. Google provides support to those manufacturers, but they don't/can't stick their fingers in their business. What business would ever give up control of their own expenditures/liabilities, simply because they licensed some software?

Android is so popular because it's a powerful OS, easily licensed and easily implemented. If Android had the liability tail you propose, none of us would even know about Android... it would be a non-starter for any business in their right mind.

The blame for any lack of support rests squarely on the manufacturer and the carrier. I'm not sure which one deserves the most blame. I think it might be Verizon, but there's no way to tell.

Google is definitely out of it. If you are going to blame Google, you may as well blame your mother too, because she is doing nothing to force Motorola and Verizon to fix this situation. How dare she sit there and do absolutely nothing!!! ;-)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084