Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kC_
  • 1 Post By kC_
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    kC_

Default how to force 4.04 OTA to your xoom (works)

Just seen this over at XDA and i can confirm it works

1. Clear Data from Google Services Framework Data
    (Some Google Applications might crash)
    2. Go to Software updates (note that time has reset to 1969)
    3. Click Check for updates
    *** It will show 4.0.4 and click download and Voila!

source -
    Thanked by 2:
    crxssi likes this.

Sad to say it doesn't work here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    kC_

Default Re: how to force 4.04 OTA to your xoom (works)

once you cleared & stopped the framework and went to updates, did you notice the date was 1969?

Def didn't work for me on the Xoom either.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Worked perfectly, finished in a matter of minutes. US Wifi Zoom with stock 4.0.3 now on 4.0.4

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I can confirm this works too!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Got it to work after a few tries.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

A big NEGATIVE here in NorCal. Everything seems much slower in this rollout!!

Have tried Recovery with OTG/USB, and clearing Google framework cache. Nothing left to do but be patient.

Think I'll play some Gem Spinner!
    Cbill
    Transformers (2), Xoom, Nook Color (MicroSD root), Galaxy 7+, Optimus V (root)

Dstro: Did you do something different?
    Cbill
    Transformers (2), Xoom, Nook Color (MicroSD root), Galaxy 7+, Optimus V (root)

The upgrade to 4.0.4 ICS for U.S. Motorola XOOM wifi only is available via OTA.

Works, but took me three tries. Just keep trying if it doesn't work.

Yep tried again and it worked

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Worked on my 3rd try. Thanks.

What is this data I just cleared? Will this mess anything up? I guess its too late now anyway but I would like to know.

Thanks
    Bill

Thanks, for the heads up. After I figured out where the Google framework was and cleared data I shut the tablet down and restarted it said at bottom tool bar I had updates available. so far it does seem faster and less choppy on chrome. I don't think it could have gotten worse.

Google has been good at making updates for the Xoom but they sure aren't easy to get, a regular user would give up. Now for my nexus s Google has failed so bad they make the Microsoft vista debacle look sucessfull. Prob the last nexus I buy.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

After several tries, this method finally worked for me.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Interesting! This method worked for me too. I was beginning to think I would NEVER get the update. After clearing, it complained three times about Google Maps "Unfortunately Dying". I then killed any Google apps running, and tried to check for updates (for the zillionth time over the last several days). And yes, I saw it say the date of the last check for updates was 1969 after clearing the Google Framework data (whatever THAT is). BINGO, it said 4.0.4 update available and started the download and then install.

To me, this tends to indicate that their "check updates" button is just fake. Or, maybe, clearing the framework data makes it look like the tablet is new and never updated and forces an update to the latest OS version by skipping the artificial delays put in place. Hmm
    Last edited by crxssi; 03-31-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Ug, after the 4.0.4 update, I had lots of problems with the Play Store. I am getting errors after opening it, errors trying to download or update things. I tried killing and restarting it several times. Then rebooted the tablet- same thing.

Then followed this instructions from another thread:

"but what seems to work for me is to clear "google play store" data and clear "Google services framework" data. reboot. then go back into market and wait. a min then try to download again."

Now I get an error 921 trying to update anything, and "error processing purchase" trying to download/install a new free app. I can uninstall an existing app, though. I have reported it to Google support and I am just waiting.

Then I made it worse by following instructions in another thread to remove updates to Play Store. Now updates to applications or trying to install new apps return with the error "XXXX could not be downloaded due to an error (-101).

UPDATE: The solution was- I killed Play, cleared it's data, then removed/deleted my Google Account from the tablet, then add it back again, then went back into Play, and it works.
    Last edited by crxssi; 03-31-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Worked for me too.
    Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Services Framework -> Clear Data

Reboot and check the notifications.
    Update was available and installed without a hitch.
    Will post more if I find problems after a couple of days use.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    kC_

All is fine here no issues at all:-)
    P_Land15 likes this.

That was sweet, been waiting/checking for the OTA since they announced it. Thanks, XDA, KC and AC.

PS
    It worked like a charm
    Last edited by ricardor973; 03-31-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Ug, after the 4.0.4 update, I had lots of problems with the Play Store. I am getting errors after opening it, errors trying to download or update things. I tried killing and restarting it several times. Then rebooted the tablet- same thing.

Then followed this instructions from another thread:

"but what seems to work for me is to clear "google play store" data and clear "Google services framework" data. reboot. then go back into market and wait. a min then try to download again."

Now I get an error 921 trying to update anything, and "error processing purchase" trying to download/install a new free app. I can uninstall an existing app, though. I have reported it to Google support and I am just waiting.

Then I made it worse by following instructions in another thread to remove updates to Play Store. Now updates to applications or trying to install new apps return with the error "XXXX could not be downloaded due to an error (-101).

UPDATE: The solution was- I killed Play, cleared it's data, then removed/deleted my Google Account from the tablet, then add it back again, then went back into Play, and it works.
    I had the same problem and deleting/reenabling my Google account also fixed it for me.

Dave

I can confirm that on a T-Mobile Nexus S running 4.0.3, this process works after the third time (rebooting each time between clearing data from the GFS app). Now running 4.0.4 without needing to use CWM!

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Looks like I later today found out yet another problem- I could no longer play any music from my SD card on the Xoom. It showed it all, but gave errors whenever I tried to play anything. To fix THAT, I unmounted the card and cleared the data on the Media Manager (or some similarly named) app, then remounted the card. Had a wait a long while, then it was all playable again.