How to force ICS update on VZW

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This does appear to work within limits. If I were to guess, there is some sort of random number generation associated with doing an update check on the day you are scheduled to receive the update. On Tuesday, I tried repeatedly with no results. On Wednesday AM, I tripped the update to download on the 2nd try. So if your day for upgrade has some, resetting the services cache may speed up your update time on that day. Just guessing, though...I got mine today.

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
mine finally worked, after using this method a couple times an hour or so later. and somehow I am connected to 3G without a plan. :-!

edit: changing the settings to cdma/lte has me connected to 4G!

Last edited:
Reactions: Skydog#AC

PetiePal

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Only took 18x...wifi not 3G or lte as I have no service on this tablet.

Whewwwww.

It must put you in a a random "pool" position of upgrades. Clearing framework and refreshing must give you a new "ticket" but it works!

asandler311

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe someone can help with this one. I tried the update through this method and it seemed to start working but never rebooted and istalled. Now whhen i try it again it starts to recognize an update is available but then goes to "your device is up to date." Anyone have any ideas?:'(

Last edited:

r2d2Mack

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I suggest rebooting after clearing and stopping service.
I have two xoomys and after attempting this at least 10 times, I decided to reboot after completing the second step.
After unlocking I went straight to update now and there it was waiting for me!
I started the download on that one and picked up my wifeys xoom.

On wifes xoom I cleared and stopped service.
rebooted.
unlocked
checked for update, not there :(
cleared and stopped service
went back to check and there it was waiting!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Payne78

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Is this update to 4.04? If so it seems to have installed on its own... and now I can't get online through my custom rom wifi hotspot on my phone. Wtf!? This blows!

spongeguy97

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG Lucid, and am trying this trick. I've tried about 15 times so far... I'll keep trying for a little longer. If it keeps saying no, I'll try tomorrow.
EDIT : It got to a point where it said "The software update encountered an error. Please go to settings and try again later" I guess that means that it actually got the update, but didn't update. And whenever I do that again, it's always errors. Help?? :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37