Looking to buy a Xoom. Is it smart?

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking to purchase a tablet, just to see if I would really use it or not. I don't want to spend a lot on one yet and I want something bigger than the nexus 7. I found a good deal on a TF101 transformer and xoom. Any advice which would be a better one to try out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I still use my Xoom daily, my Nexus 7 doesn't get used very much at all. I am thinking about giving the N7 to one of my kids.

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My Xoom is 4G, but used on a WiFi network most of the time. The Xoom is a solid performer, have had mine 18 months and use my laptop 90% less than I used to. Go for it!

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a 4G Xoom, so I can not give comparison of which one to get, but I would fully support getting a discounted Xoom and would not hesitate to buy one today if I needed one. Even though it is 18 months old, it still operates great. It does everything I wanted, and I still am finding ways to use it.

The issue between WiFi and 4G. It all depends on what you want out of it.

I originally chose the 4G because I wanted the ability to use it anywhere. In reality, I only use it for about 200 MB each month, as the rest of the time, I am on wifi networks.

4G is still on ICS (which I really like on the Xoom, but absolutely hate on the Razr MAXX), and it works really well.

WiFi has already received JB, and it seems receives it very quickly after release, since it is a Google Experience tablet.

Either way, I think you can not go wrong with the Xoom, if you want a cheaper intro unit (due to being a little older)

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom is totally relevant still in today's tablet market. Over a year old and it still holds it own or is better than those released today.

caddy197

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I love my Xoom. Bought a new 4g version for $250 shipped a couple months ago. Only regret I have now is that it is the 4g version (only thing offered at that time for sale) because I don't have JB like the wifi version has. It could be forever before Verizon approves and pushes it out. Heck, They may never. Great dual core tablet. Graphics/screen look good. You can pick one up prob for $200 off ebay. Not sure I would waste my money on a Nexus 10. Its a dual core 1.7 with 2gb of Ram......good specs but not great considering the smaller Nexus 7 is a quad-core. I feel Google/Samsung dropped the ball on this. If I buy another 10" tablet, its so I can play the tegra 3 games out there. Nexus 10 wont play those.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My over-one-year-old wifi-only xoom is still my daily driver and almost constant companion. Does everything I need it to do without issues. Given that you can probably get one pretty inexpensively right now I'd say go for it. Just my 2 cents.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well bought the transformer over the Xoom. I got a better deal on the TF101 than i would have with Xoom. I like how the Xoom is stock, but the Tf101 is pretty close and I have gnexus for the pure experience. I really enjoying using a tablet more than I thought. The 10 inch over the 7 inch nexus just makes more sense for me too. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe Motorola make the next nexus 10 and I'll get that one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer