Should I buy a Xoom?

PRW94

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the market for a tablet, my first. I have $200-$225 to spend, tops (I could wait and save up some more, but I kind of need something right now). I've looked at some 7-inchers, have even asked a question about possibilities here, and if I went that way it would be with the Hisense Pro (helped by fact that I have a 10 percent discount card at Wally World because the Mrs. works there). But I've not pulled the trigger because I think I'd like something larger.

I'm looking for something I can use for web browsing, GPS, entertainment purposes (mostly books) and that I can do a little work on (word processing and PDFs), and I really don't think a 7-incher will cut it.

I have a chance to get a couple of mint condition Motorola Xoom's actually underneath my price range. I know those have been updated to Android 4.1.2, and that even though there won't be an official build higher 4.2.2 will run on them in CM or other ROMs. I know they're only double core, although they have a gig of RAM. I've looked at some other resources and people say they're too big (I don't care, not going to put in my pocket, I'd rather have something that's sturdy and not going to fall apart on me, and to me 1.5 lbs. isn't big) and they're laggy.

However, I'm thinking in my usage the lag might not be that big an issue, because I do not game in any shape, form or fashion and have no intention of starting, period, end of discussion, so there's not going to be any super-duper 3D stuff being run. I don't care one iota about HD movies, either, not into streaming those (I don't watch a lot of movies, don't even have a Blu-Ray player let alone a Netflix membership or anything). I'm more interested in music although I may toss a few video things I've created on there. And I'm not going to put 300 apps on the thing, most of mine are probably going to be boring stuff like Kindle, various news organizations, weather, a music player, PDF viewer, etc. This is basically going to be a boring old fart's tablet. :D

So, given what I've said, should I spend $150 or so (one possibility even includes an Otterbox) on a mint Xoom instead of $129 minus the discount on the Hisense? For everyone I've seen online griping about them, there's another person who's using it about like I would who says theirs is still going strong. The only comparable thing in my price range (at least used) would be the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but when I weigh it against the Xoom the Xoom always comes out ahead. Would appreciate any input from Xoom owners here. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the market for a tablet, my first. I have $200-$225 to spend, tops (I could wait and save up some more, but I kind of need something right now). I've looked at some 7-inchers, have even asked a question about possibilities here, and if I went that way it would be with the Hisense Pro (helped by fact that I have a 10 percent discount card at Wally World because the Mrs. works there). But I've not pulled the trigger because I think I'd like something larger.

I'm looking for something I can use for web browsing, GPS, entertainment purposes (mostly books) and that I can do a little work on (word processing and PDFs), and I really don't think a 7-incher will cut it.

I have a chance to get a couple of mint condition Motorola Xoom's actually underneath my price range. I know those have been updated to Android 4.1.2, and that even though there won't be an official build higher 4.2.2 will run on them in CM or other ROMs. I know they're only double core, although they have a gig of RAM. I've looked at some other resources and people say they're too big (I don't care, not going to put in my pocket, I'd rather have something that's sturdy and not going to fall apart on me, and to me 1.5 lbs. isn't big) and they're laggy.

However, I'm thinking in my usage the lag might not be that big an issue, because I do not game in any shape, form or fashion and have no intention of starting, period, end of discussion, so there's not going to be any super-duper 3D stuff being run. I don't care one iota about HD movies, either, not into streaming those (I don't watch a lot of movies, don't even have a Blu-Ray player let alone a Netflix membership or anything). I'm more interested in music although I may toss a few video things I've created on there. And I'm not going to put 300 apps on the thing, most of mine are probably going to be boring stuff like Kindle, various news organizations, weather, a music player, PDF viewer, etc. This is basically going to be a boring old fart's tablet. :D

So, given what I've said, should I spend $150 or so (one possibility even includes an Otterbox) on a mint Xoom instead of $129 minus the discount on the Hisense? For everyone I've seen online griping about them, there's another person who's using it about like I would who says theirs is still going strong. The only comparable thing in my price range (at least used) would be the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but when I weigh it against the Xoom the Xoom always comes out ahead. Would appreciate any input from Xoom owners here. Thanks!

Here is my take on tabs in general. The larger ones are harder to hold, due to size and additional weight. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and I think that is the perfect size for me. As I am constantly swiping, and scrolling (not for games either), I am about as often as not holding it with one hand.

jerryduncan52

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom is pure trash. Don't buy one, you will regret it. I've had one since they came out and I can't wait to get rid of it. Waiting on a new Samsung

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
The Xoom is a good affordable tablet. Plus it does have jelly bean which is good for a older tablet.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
The Xoom has been very good to me. I bought mine over two years ago and it works like a champ.

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

PRW94

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks ... got a decision to make as I said, smaller tablet (Hisense) or larger tablet (Xoom), probably once I buy a case for the Hisense for pretty much exactly the same investment. I just really think I'd like a larger tablet, and can't afford Nexus 10 right now. The Xoom I've got my eye on is CM 10.1 with Android 4.2.2, which based on what I've been able to research is pretty stable so I wouldn't anticipate having issues being a tablet newbie. I've checked out the Hisense in hand at Wally World and I understand the specs are great, but it really feels kind of flimsy in my hands and the very thing that people fuss at about the Xoom, as I noted, its size and sturdiness, really is exactly what I'm looking for. It's only 1/4 pound more than Nexus 10, it can't be that much of a brick.