Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will factory reset speed up my Xoom?

I understand that the reason my 4-year-old (something like that) is getting so slow is because the hard drive is defragmented. I've tried Clean Master, which helps, but pages are still slow to load (Chrome and stock browser both), sometimes I have to click on things several times, just not zippy like it used to be.

1. Will a factory reset defragment the hard drive and bring my Xoom back to its original speed?

2. Is there a program that will defragment the drive that I could use if I rooted the device?

Thanks friends.

Global Posts
    21,621 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Will factory reset speed up my Xoom?

Quote Originally Posted by kathyathome View Post
    I understand that the reason my 4-year-old (something like that) is getting so slow is because the hard drive is defragmented. I've tried Clean Master, which helps, but pages are still slow to load (Chrome and stock browser both), sometimes I have to click on things several times, just not zippy like it used to be.

1. Will a factory reset defragment the hard drive and bring my Xoom back to its original speed?

2. Is there a program that will defragment the drive that I could use if I rooted the device?

Thanks friends.
    Try clearing the system cache in recovery: https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhe...ail/a_id/64061
    Instead of selecting factory reset, select clear cache.

As for Q#2; Android doesn't get fragmented like Windows does.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for that advice. I followed the directions and cleared the system cache and will see if it speeds up any.

I would still like to know if a factory reset will bring my Xoom back to original speed. It's a hassle to do the reset, and I don't want to just do it for nothing. From what I've read it will, and as I add apps back in it will gradually slow down again. I'd just like other opinions about what exactly a reset will do for me.

Since I'm way past warranty, I might try rooting myself or get someone to do it for me, but the cheapest option is just resetting.

Global Posts
    21,621 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

You might be better off disabling apps you don't use as opposed to resetting the device. That will open up a little more RAM so that it can be allocated to apps you do use.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I have had major problems with my Xoom being slow. I decided to factory reset and it did seem to improve things. However, not long after it is slow again. Not as bad as before but still I have issues. For example, I cant record video anymore without it locking up or lagging frequently, its really frustrating. It used to be very smooth.