Thoughts on Hardware/Software upgrades?

Ultra50#WP

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to wait until it has the 4G radio and sd support because having to take it back or send it out for the upgrade will a big pain. But this is just my opinion.

golden_35

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the tablet yesterday at CES, I asked the Moto rep what the major hardware advantages were over the Tab.

His major comment was similar size form factor than the tab with a 10" vs 7" screen.

I tend to agree with him. Google would not allow Moto to put honycomb on the tablet for CES as it is not ready yet.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it's annoying, BUT as long as this hardware upgrade is offered at no cost, then I won't do much complaining. When they start charging people for it is the day I smell a class action lawsuit.

I doubt it. I can see a few scenarios that would legitamately allow them to charge for upgrades. My best guesses are as follows

1) All 3G tablets get upgraded to 4G, 3G tablets vanish, and the upgrade is free and painless.

2) They adjust prices. So if they have a $500 Wifi version and a $600 3G version, they make a few changes when the 4G one comes out. Say $500 Wifi, $550 3G, $600 4G and a $50 upgrade fee for early adopters. This is what I would think would happen.

3) They simply add a 4G version at a higher price and charge the difference to early adopters.

I believe they decided to go this upgrade route just to the be the first tablet out with honeycomb

Not likely. That's like saying Samsung rushed the Nexus S to be the first with gingerbread. It looks like this is the google tablet, the one that released Honeycomb. They would be first no matter what. It sounds like google wants to rush honeycomb for competition purposes, which also means moto didn't have time to finalize hardware (reason for both problems).

knappkd

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
My question is there any doubt early adopters will be able to upgrade; whether free or cost? I just don't want to get screwed and not be able to upgrade at all!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Not likely. That's like saying Samsung rushed the Nexus S to be the first with gingerbread. It looks like this is the google tablet, the one that released Honeycomb. They would be first no matter what. It sounds like google wants to rush honeycomb for competition purposes, which also means moto didn't have time to finalize hardware (reason for both problems).

They want the device to be the first 3.0 tablet, period. There is a monetary advantage for Motorola for this scenario, and also good reason for Google to "show" it's new software on it's "own" halo device first. The Google dev's have one at their desks it has been said. The Nexus S comparison isn't really valid as there were no completing 2.3 handsets that could be released at that time. There were several Honeycomb tablets at CES, and there is an advantage to being first obviously.

My question is there any doubt early adopters will be able to upgrade; whether free or cost? I just don't want to get screwed and not be able to upgrade at all!

It's been stated in several places that ALL tablets can be upgraded to 4G. There is no question about that point.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I may be in the minority here but I kind of like that there's an opportunity here for users to get a 3g xoom. To my knowledge Verizon hasn't announced data plan rates for LTE mobile devices yet and I would bet that its going to be more expensive and also be capped data. Though its slower, Id much prefer a more affordable, uncapped data plan via 3g. Am I missing anything?

dcviperboy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I may be in the minority here but I kind of like that there's an opportunity here for users to get a 3g xoom. To my knowledge Verizon hasn't announced data plan rates for LTE mobile devices yet and I would bet that its going to be more expensive and also be capped data. Though its slower, Id much prefer a more affordable, uncapped data plan via 3g. Am I missing anything?

This is a great point I hadnt considered. I personally think most of these early adopters will be willing to pay the premium to be the first, and therefore the fastest as well. I will likely purchase whatever version comes first and tether off the phone if I need to. I dont take my iPad out very often (so mostly at home with wifi), and when I do, I just tether it.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site

They have announced prices for USB LTE modem connected devices. They start at 5 GB for $50 dollars which is on par with the 5GB 3G data cost for "Tablets, mobile hotpots, netbooks, and notebooks".

From that it looks like Verizon isnt charging a 4G fee.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I imagine that their LTE for phones plan prices will differ some from their current offerings with USB LTE. Or maybe it's just be being optimistic that Verizon isn't going to charge that much for phones :p

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Good news! My wife has full acess to the website on goggle chrome running on our mac! So does this mean the xoom will work too? I hope so it will be a huge selling point in getting this tablet.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Good news! My wife has full acess to the website on goggle chrome running on our mac! So does this mean the xoom will work too? I hope so it will be a huge selling point in getting this tablet.

Considering it looks as if the Xoom (and all Honeycomb tablets for that matter) are running some Android version of Chrome, then I'd say there should be no reason she can't use the website on the Xoom.