Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Default There IS a wi-fi only version! YA

I was reading and there is a wi-fi only version coming! Here is the article from Engadget.
    ->Xoom Wi-Fi Only<-

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Biggest question will be if this is Argentina only for April or International...or at least North America.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

I bet is is for International. I hope. But I still might get the 3G/4G because I like to have that option.

Good news indeed
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Quote Originally Posted by JoseN305 View Post
    Good news indeed
    Right! I was happy because now I have a choice. I am still thinking about getting the 3G/4G version. It all depends on the price.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

The time frame seems to be way off. Motorola themselves said Q1 2011 (i.e. latest march) at CES and rumors are that MOTO went so far as to say February for the 3G version.

That doesn't mean its not true, but until we here from Moto USA I wouldn't hold my breath. I mean its likely that they made a deal to give Verizon a few months of exclusivity so people like me, who wouldn't buy the 3G/4G version normally but would if it was the only choice would buy it. Frankly the Wifi version is simple to make just take out the 3G/4G chip and bam wifi only. They must have made a deal is the only explanation.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Sounds great...no contracts..just what I need.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

hopefully this is true for the us, because I'd like to save a few bucks and just get a wifi only Xoom
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

I'm glad this is going to come out I just don't know if I can hold back..

Wouldnt you have a wifi only version if you just buy it outright without a contract? Yeah your gonna spend more but having it before others do is worth the extra cost to me.
    Droid MAXX Rooted on 4.4
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne622 View Post
    Wouldnt you have a wifi only version if you just buy it outright without a contract? Yeah your gonna spend more but having it before others do is worth the extra cost to me.
    That's where I'm at, I've been holding out for a tablet for so long I'm just going to jump on this thing as soon as I can.

Nice find... let's see if it holds up when it comes out.

Wi-fi only version = I buy instantly upon availability.

I've got tethering on my Droid X and I am not onboard with another contract. I do love my big red service, but no way I need another monthly service charge.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Might just get the 3g/4g. Only need wifi but never know when they lock these phones more and we don't have it free. Would suck having a wifi only with no teather on my phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Auzo View Post
    The time frame seems to be way off. Motorola themselves said Q1 2011 (i.e. latest march) at CES and rumors are that MOTO went so far as to say February for the 3G version.

That doesn't mean its not true, but until we here from Moto USA I wouldn't hold my breath. I mean its likely that they made a deal to give Verizon a few months of exclusivity so people like me, who wouldn't buy the 3G/4G version normally but would if it was the only choice would buy it. Frankly the Wifi version is simple to make just take out the 3G/4G chip and bam wifi only. They must have made a deal is the only explanation.
    Same thing I was thinking. You know Verizon is gonna milk this thing for all its worth. I'll just buy it full price, and pray the WiFi only version is released within my return period.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

The only reason I am more on getting the 3G/4G is because if I ever Need it I have the option to use the 3G/4G. Its always good to have that option.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    Same thing I was thinking. You know Verizon is gonna milk this thing for all its worth. I'll just buy it full price, and pray the WiFi only version is released within my return period.
    If the wifi drops in 14 days of the 3g/4g launch of when you got it then. I think they cut the return time in half. How much cheaper would a wifi only be?

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    If the wifi drops in 14 days of the 3g/4g launch of when you got it then. I think they cut the return time in half. How much cheaper would a wifi only be?

My guess would be in the range of $100 cheaper, that tends to be the norm for these tablets.

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    The only reason I am more on getting the 3G/4G is because if I ever Need it I have the option to use the 3G/4G. Its always good to have that option.
    So you're willing to pay an extra 30 bucks a month on your bill for "just in case" situations

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    So you're willing to pay an extra 30 bucks a month on your bill for "just in case" situations
    I think they mean "just incase" as in they want to activate the 3G. Buying it unsubsidized and not turning on 3G is what I plan to do if the WiFi version isn't announced soon after. If I ever go on a trip and I know I won't have Wifi, call up VZW, activate my 3G for the month and be happy. Just because you buy a 3G version doesn't mean you have to also get a 3G subscription (as long as it's not subsidized).

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by jg274105 View Post
    I think they mean "just incase" as in they want to activate the 3G. Buying it unsubsidized and not turning on 3G is what I plan to do if the WiFi version isn't announced soon after. If I ever go on a trip and I know I won't have Wifi, call up VZW, activate my 3G for the month and be happy. Just because you buy a 3G version doesn't mean you have to also get a 3G subscription (as long as it's not subsidized).
    I understand that perfectly. I know you don't have to activate it. I got the impression he was saying that he would be out and about, and for some reason couldn't tether his phone, and just says "hey, no problem, I'll just use wireless data" Who would just "spontaneously" add data onto their account on the fly. Seems more feasible to just buy it subsidized and have it always be active.

Anyway, from your perspective, I guess it would be nice to have a wireless 3G/4G radio to fall back on. Although I have trouble coming up with scenarios that provoke such a thing.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's a good plan jg, I think we will be seeing a lot of people doing that as well, myself included. I don't need the 3G for 75% of the time, but I won't mind paying for it when I'm out and will be bringing it with me.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Supposedly the Verizon edition with 3G at launch will also have WiFi built in. Also, Verizon is moving away from tablets with contracts, so it should be readily available with 3G, WiFi, and no contract.

Now, this is what the local Verizon ***** told me, so take it what it's worth, but hopefully this will be true! And if so, I'll be in line at launch day to get mine just as I was with my DX.
    Our honor defend, we will fight to the end for OOOHHH-HHHIII-OOO!

Buckeye till I die!

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't have a hard time believing that -- that's been the trend with Tablets so far. And yes, all version of the Xoom have WiFi.

Thanked by:

Wifi only is the only version I will buy. They better not delay it. Apple had the wifi and 3G launch at the same time...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast