Super AMOLED Plus & NOVA Vs. XOOM

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I really want the Xoom. The one nagging thought that I have is it's screen. Samsung showed off their 7" Super AMOLED Plus panel a few months ago and I'm not sure if the LG G-Slate will boast it's "Nova" panel or not. I do know that both SAMOLED+ & Nova are great displays that were shown off on handsets last week.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights about the Xoom's display and how it will hold out over the next year compared to Samsung & LG?

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The only hard data we have on the Xoom's screen is that its an 10.1" LCD with a resolution of 1280X800. I am just about sure that the panel type is IPS since from the hands on videos it seems clear that it has good viewing angles. Besides that its tough to tell the contrast ratio, brightness, or color reproduction of the screen by only watching the vids. I will say that it would be a huge mistake if Moto puts a sub-par screen on their flagship tablet and I doubt they will.

As for the Super AMOLED + and the NOVA they are both awesome looking screens. I have always been a sucker for the SAMOLEDs. The color saturation and blacks are winners in my book. Many people will argue that the color is fake and in a lot of cases it may be, but I'm not editing photos for a magazine where i need true to life color reproduction. Viewing a nature scene on the SAMOLED is just amazing. I just wish Samsung would sell their screens to other companies who don't suck at software updates.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So true. I'd also like to see some use of the Mirasol display or the Pixel Qi display in a tablet I can trust (not sold on the adam)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I bet those second gen Samoled screens are going to rock. I hope they dialed in the color a bit. I do miss my samoled sammy sometimes on that reason alone. Considering both tabs in their entirety, I think the Zoom may be my choice. I haven't heard much on the samsung, is it 10"? If it doesn't fit in my pocket, it better be a big 10"!

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I bet those second gen Samoled screens are going to rock. I hope they dialed in the color a bit. I do miss my samoled sammy sometimes on that reason alone. Considering both tabs in their entirety, I think the Zoom may be my choice. I haven't heard much on the samsung, is it 10"? If it doesn't fit in my pocket, it better be a big 10"!

The SAMOLED's do rock.................
U know me never say never

Reactions: Johnly

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well how are the screens on the Droids? Would that not give a pretty good indicator?

Maybe in a round a bout way. It might say if Motorola likes the high end screen, but if the droid uses a screen manufactured by say, Samsung, and the XOOM uses one made by LG, they could be very differnt

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Galaxy Tab 2 is going to have a SAMOLED+ 10.1" screen I'm having some second thoughts about the Xoom. I guess it depends on the release date really.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Now that the Galaxy Tab 2 is going to have a SAMOLED+ 10.1" screen I'm having some second thoughts about the Xoom. I guess it depends on the release date really.

I'm wondering about the capacity but, everything else looks good. It's looks like it won't have a sdcard slot or mini usb or micro HDMI.

AtomicAge

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Spec sheet from Engadget. No SD, no HDMI, no SAMOLED, choice of either 16 or 32Gb. Fewer bells and whistles than the Xoom, but this might let Samsung be alot more competitive with the prices, in which case it could be a winner. Supposedly drops in March, I'm hoping wifi only at the same time.

galaxy10.1specs.png

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That's nice, it a HSPA + device so that means it will be on T-mobile. I may have to wait for it to come out before I make a decision, March isn't that far away.

Edit: I spoke too soon, it's coming to Europe in March no mention of U.S.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084