Xoom / Android Tablet Tethering?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I purchased Xoom this morning and attempted to tether using CM7 on Incredible. No go for Wifi tether app or the Portable Hotspot built in...suspect a Verizon sabotage.

I am tethering to my rooted Inc using omfgb 1.1.1 with the built in hotspots no trouble at all.

oreillyb

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Posting this comment with my Incredible as my wireless hotspot, from my xoom. I just downloaded unrevoked and let it do its rooting magic on my incredible and dowloaded the wireless tether and within an hour I was up and running. Pretty awesome!

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Fyi carries are taking action on tether users. If you have a DROID x im sure you knows this already. Going as far as they will track if your using it. Keep an eye out for more info but its only a matter of time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My concern is that apparently you cannot use the data connection from an Android phone to give wifi to an Android tablet, like the Galaxy Tab. Do a quick Google search and you'll see people have been having problems. Do we think this will be an issue with Honeycomb, too, or will the connecting software read the "wifi" coming from our phones differently?

There is a way to tether some android phones to the Xoom using bluetooth to share your phones internet connection.

Place your Xoom in airplane mode then turn bluethhoth back on.

In the Xoom settings connect the Xoom to your phone, after they connect you should see 2 bt connection icons near the clock.

These are basic instructions, there is a full thread here about this process.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Posting this comment with my Incredible as my wireless hotspot, from my xoom. I just downloaded unrevoked and let it do its rooting magic on my incredible and dowloaded the wireless tether and within an hour I was up and running. Pretty awesome!

This is exactly what I am doing. Stock Sense on rooted Incredible with Wireless Tether App. Xoom automatically connects as soon as I turn on the tethering app.

ckrenek23

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
trying to get tethered to my fascinate, tried blue tooth and wireless tether bluetooth and adhoc, no luck any suggestions on how to proceed. Got the wifi only version and dont want to root because i may bring it back in a month when the tab 10.1 comes out...love costco and their return policy

damillatime

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Wireless Tether on my rooted Epic. When I "press to start tethering," it displays the connection with the three little computers in a circle instead of the traditional wifi icon. I'm able to connect my netbook without any problems but my xoom doesn't show the hotspot in the available networks. Any ideas?

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Seems like everyone is having different experiences. I'm all for free rooted tethering apps but if its hit or miss with certain devices and roms I might just purchase the mobile hotspot. I've used the real app with my Bolt and it worked like a charm.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

gtarnved

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Let me know when you are driving! It' deadly to drive and text, but you want to drive and look at your xoom? O! M! God! You will be using "places" & "Maps" and "Navigation" and be watching a youtube video while driving. You CAN'T help it if it's There! Either drive your car/ or play with your xoom. I have one. You can't do both at the same time! What if a kid on a bike pulls out in front of you? One DEAD child. It's like the Atomic bomb...just because we CAN, doesn't mean we Should! ...Always "think", "what if..."?