Xoom / Android Tablet Tethering?

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone out there think that the current tethering apps can be used or easily modified to tether a WiFi only Xoom to an Android phone via the USB cable?
I just bought a new car and think a tablet like this would make a perfect car "computer" if I could just tether to my phone as I do now when traveling with my netbook.

But after watching the mapping updates video again, I can see the benefit of a 7" or 10" size in a car being better than some of the current electronic interfaces, media, and upgrades in a lot of cars. And this could be removable!

Imagine the business they could do if they just integrated these tablets instead!

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand you correctly you are asking if you can use the data connection from your phone for your Tablet via tethering through usb?

If that's what you are asking I would unfortunately have to say no, well at least not easily, for the sole reason that the micro USB port generally only acts as a slave so both your phone and your tablet will try to be the slave and without a host you don't have a connection. Now there are some workarounds but IIRC they require hardware modifications. USB on-the-go was developed to help alleviate that problem (and maybe MOTO incorporated it), but it doesn't seem like its gotten a lot of traction yet in the mobile phone world.
USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would ask you why not use your phone as a wireless hotspot instead? You could always get a car charger if you are worried about battery life. Assuming you want to tether for free a root would be required for that. I would also like to add my stance on Tethering, If I am already paying a carrier to use data then I damn well better be able to use that data however I want to. The fact that they try to charge another $30 dollars to use the capacity I am already paying for but on a different device makes me absolutely sick. I remember before routers took hold how cable companies tried to pull the same crap at homes. That didn't last long and I hope it changes soon in the wireless world. This holds especially true when your carrier already caps your max data use.

Last edited:

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I would ask you why not use your phone as a wireless hotspot instead? You could always get a car charger if you are worried about battery life.
I was wondering the same thing. There isn't much of a difference when it comes down to speed and is usually as simple as placing a toggle on one of your homescreens to turn the WiFi hotspot on.
Like said above, rooting is pretty much required. But if you pay for unlimited data on your phone it's well worth it.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I have a rooted X and use the wireless tether app. It works great for my wifi items and will use this for the xoom also. Look into that as its free and easy to do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
My concern is that apparently you cannot use the data connection from an Android phone to give wifi to an Android tablet, like the Galaxy Tab. Do a quick Google search and you'll see people have been having problems. Do we think this will be an issue with Honeycomb, too, or will the connecting software read the "wifi" coming from our phones differently?

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd forgotten about wireless tethering because I've chosen not to root yet. However, should I get in this situation, I would. I too wouldn't pay 30/mo. to use my phone wirelessly...crazy.

Still, car companies are missing out....

I saw the last post on the phone not working with Android tablets..I'll have to look into that myself.

Thanks for the responses.

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My concern is that apparently you cannot use the data connection from an Android phone to give wifi to an Android tablet, like the Galaxy Tab. Do a quick Google search and you'll see people have been having problems. Do we think this will be an issue with Honeycomb, too, or will the connecting software read the "wifi" coming from our phones differently?

Care to point a post out? I did a quick search and didn't find anything, even did a quick look through the Gal Tab forums and didn't see any threads.

If people are having trouble with the hotspot, I'm betting there is some problem with how they are doing it. I'd say they probably weren't rooted or setup/connected to their wifi wrong.

I don't see why Samsung (or Google or Moto) would disallow wifi tethering from a phone. Honestly it just doesn't make sense at any point.

Edit: Found a post about this, and it seems to be more of a general wifi issue than with phones. They even pinpointed the cause (The tab tries to keep a local ip address even if it's already in use by something else, setting a static IP is a workaround). Phones don't have this issue (and I've not heard of any other Android tabs having this issue) so I doubt it's an Android issue and more of a Samsung issue (surprise surprise!).

Last edited:

rdrizzle

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I purchased Xoom this morning and attempted to tether using CM7 on Incredible. No go for Wifi tether app or the Portable Hotspot built in...suspect a Verizon sabotage.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I take that back. Running apex and using wireless tether now!

aefc0864-8b0b-6e99.jpg

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
So, I've got unrevoked on my evo with free wifi tether app & my Galaxy tab & MacBook can both tether off of it. Will the xoom be able too also? Sounds like it should. Anybody with unrevoked tried it yet?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So, I've got unrevoked on my evo with free wifi tether app & my Galaxy tab & MacBook can both tether off of it. Will the xoom be able too also? Sounds like it should. Anybody with unrevoked tried it yet?

It's not really about unrevoked but about the tether app itself and what the xoom will accept.

I can try to flash back to a sense rom with the wifi tether app and test but it won't be until later.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Care to share your Work around? :)

Sure, but I'm not doing anything special :).

I just turn on 4G on my Evo, let it connect and give it a minute, then I turn on wifi hotspot.

Then I connect my Xoom. It's not secure, I don't know if that makes a difference.

edit: I'm running the CM7 Wimax build "gingerbread-6".

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Sure, but I'm not doing anything special :).

I just turn on 4G on my Evo, let it connect and give it a minute, then I turn on wifi hotspot.

Then I connect my Xoom. It's not secure, I don't know if that makes a difference.

edit: I'm running the CM7 Wimax build "gingerbread-6".

Oh yeah. I forgot the evo had the wifi hotspot built in. I have a droid 1 and in a postt i read that it cannot be tehered to the xoom

bobipop

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
wi-Fi tether

I used Wi-Fi Tether on an EVO and. Works great. Instructions say rooting is opional. My EVO was already rooted, so don't know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084