Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Default my wife has a question about the xoom's browser

We are most certainly buying a xoom but there is one question my wife has that I am curious to see if anyone has the answer to. Now over ces motorola kept saying the xoom offers a full desktop browsing experience with full html 5 and flash 10.1. My wife works in the medical field and her organization uses a website to track information and orders. Sometimes my wife has to access this website at home. We only have macs at home and they can only access portions of the site and no orders can be placed. Same situation with her og. Droid. However on a windows computer she has full access. Can it be safe to say the xoom can offer compatibily with a website such as this. Either way we are going to try the website on a xoom at Verizon before we buy. We're just curious in the meantime. Thanks guys!
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Yes I think it will be able to do what she is wanting. I am not for sure but I think so.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I agree with Baconator. It should be able to perform all of the same functions that a full web browser on a PC or MAC can perform. I'm not 100% on this because hell, we've seen stranger things, but that's my assumption.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Exactly there is a good chance it can but there is always that doubt. Just hope for it and I bet it will!

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CypherMax View Post
    We are most certainly buying a xoom but there is one question my wife has that I am curious to see if anyone has the answer to. Now over ces motorola kept saying the xoom offers a full desktop browsing experience with full html 5 and flash 10.1. My wife works in the medical field and her organization uses a website to track information and orders. Sometimes my wife has to access this website at home. We only have macs at home and they can only access portions of the site and no orders can be placed. Same situation with her og. Droid. However on a windows computer she has full access. Can it be safe to say the xoom can offer compatibily with a website such as this. Either way we are going to try the website on a xoom at Verizon before we buy. We're just curious in the meantime. Thanks guys!
    Let me ask you this, what browser does your wife use on the windows based computers? I would wager that if it's work based it's Internet explorer, and that her work website was written for compatibility with IE. I find that big companies have legacy sites that really only work fully with IE. If that is the case then the Xoom won't be any better than the OG Droid.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

On the windows machines it has worked with IE and an MSN browser. I downloaded google chrome onto one of our macs. I am going to have her try to log into that later. That might give us a better idea if it will work with the xoom since I remember hearing its browser is close to chrome. Or maybe the fact its still on a mac means it wont work?

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CypherMax View Post
    On the windows machines it has worked with IE and an MSN browser. I downloaded google chrome onto one of our macs. I am going to have her try to log into that later. That might give us a better idea if it will work with the xoom since I remember hearing its browser is close to chrome. Or maybe the fact its still on a mac means it wont work?
    I would imagine it's more of an issue of browser compatibility than OS compatibility. That's a good point that the site might be designed for IE (which is disgraceful these days).

passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Well Chrome, Safari and Android are all built on WebKit - I've noticed when things sometimes work in IE/Firefox but not WebKit that there might be a cookie problem (related to timezone settings, in my experience).

The website is probably only fully accessible under IE6/7. Many enterprise organizations (such as mine) have coded their mission critical apps in such a way that only these versions of IE work. Of course, where I work they have realized that this is stupid and are fixing things to work with all browsers. In time more large enterprises should do the same.
    Science is the power of Man.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

My wife has full access to her work website via google.chrome browser. This is a good sign that the xoom's browser will work.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am wondering is dolphin, the new opera might work. Also isn't firefox coming out w/ a browser for android.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jkurl View Post
    I am wondering is dolphin, the new opera might work. Also isn't firefox coming out w/ a browser for android.
    Yes they are, you can get the Beta of it now.

Yes if Chrome works then that is a good sign. One caveat. If the sight relies on mouse hovers, etc then you will have issues. Remember no mouse pointer to hover over any fields, etc. Generally not an issue, but something to be cognizant of.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    Yes if Chrome works then that is a good sign. One caveat. If the sight relies on mouse hovers, etc then you will have issues. Remember no mouse pointer to hover over any fields, etc. Generally not an issue, but something to be cognizant of.
    Good point. Im pretty sure its all click down menus but I will double check.

I have the same issue with my work website and do hope that the Xoom will allow me to take advantage of my ordering online. It is a shame that we have issues like this because I would like to use Tabs/Pads or whatever full time but can't until this issue is resolved. Firefox on my Mac works fine for my work website but have not found any others that do.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    Since the Xoom is compatible with the HID Bluetooth profile you could hook up a Bluetooth mouse. I would guess in that case you would be able to do mouse hovers.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Auzo View Post
    Since the Xoom is compatible with the HID Bluetooth profile you could hook up a Bluetooth mouse. I would guess in that case you would be able to do mouse hovers.
    The software would have to support cursors, though. I'm not sure if Honeycomb does.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    The software would have to support cursors, though. I'm not sure if Honeycomb does.
    Good point. Can't you use a mouse with the Atrix dock though on 2.2 no less? Maybe that is just a custom software thing? If not, and it's in 2.2 somewhere, then it should be in 3.0 as well.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I could be wrong, but that might be something Motorola did custom as a part of Blur, I don't think stock Froyo supports it.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

That is my question I need IE for my company and if none of these tablets can do it ill have to wait for a windows 7 tablet that has IE. And yes I've tried the other browser and none can work with my company sight. So any good hybrid tablets that run windows7 and android?

Not an ideal option, but you can always use one of the remote desktop apps such as log me in to connect with ie from a computer with it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    That is my question I need IE for my company and if none of these tablets can do it ill have to wait for a windows 7 tablet that has IE. And yes I've tried the other browser and none can work with my company sight. So any good hybrid tablets that run windows7 and android?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    I wouldn't settle for a win 7 tablet right now. There is only one I can think of that would be any good and thats the powerhouse i5 equipped asus eee pad. The problem is you lose some portability with it.

Instead consider this, get the Xoom, or other android tablet, and any of the multitude of RDP clients (pocket cloud being a worthy option). Then anytime you need to access your work site just remote into your Home PC and use IE off of it. This way you still get all the benefits of the Andorid tablet when you don't need to use IE.

Edit: didn't see rickt152's post when I responded. I agree with his suggestion.