Really, what's the deal with the LTE upgrade business?

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have heard software patch, I heard taking your device in and them physically upgrading the hardware and I heard something about an external device for LTE... Which one is it?

Honestly if it requires an external device I totally change my mind about how I feel about this device and will probably wait for a wifi only version... For all that can tether from a LTE enabled phone.

Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It won't be a software patch as far as I know. From the sounds of it, it's going to involve either having a part added/replaced within your Xoom or having it replaced by a newer LTE-enabled Xoom. As far as which of those it'll be, we're not sure. Neither Verizon or Motorola have given specifics on just how that's going to work yet.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought a few editors of tech sites confirmed with Moto reps (at CES) that it will be an internal hardware upgrade, performed at Verizon stores with the service center. That would make sense considering the Xoom is being designed with the upgrade in mind, so it should be pretty straight-forward.

I would imagine that Moto would prefer that method, as opposed to the rumor about sending it to them. Like they want to be responsible for receiving/handling/re-shipping all those Xooms. I think the consumer would prefer the Verizon store method too, considering any damage would be covered by them, and you wouldn't have to give up your Xoom for any period of time.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell from what I have heard/read, the you will be able to take the Xoom in and Verizon/Moto will be able to swap out radios in a timely manner and will give you back the same device with an upgraded (LTE) radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC