How do you feel about getting the Xoom on contract

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
And paying a another monthly charge.

I'm very hesitant to sign a 2 year contract for a tablet, but now we are looking at a $800 minimum price out of contract. I was hopping somewhere in the upper 500 and lower 600 range.

I'm just not sure what I will be doing and I want to hear what some of you are thinking and will be doing.

Last edited:

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been thinking of the same thing since the rumored minimum price was released. I have come to the conclusion to stop driving myself crazy and just wait for the official price to be announced. Then we will know the contract pricing, wether or not there is a month to month 3G plan, and most importantly WIFI only pricing and availability from verizon and other retailers(best buy) which I am sure will have more attractive pricing for some competition.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who gets a Xoom on contract is kidding themselves. You think your saving money? Over the 2 year period you will have spent much more on the extra billing then you would have by just buying it outright. Not only that, but do you think you'll be using it for 2 years? It'll be outdated a year from release.

Reactions: Nitros7

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Even if they made it avail. I would not do it. The wireless carriers need to come up with a system that we get our data, metered or unlimited, as a chunk and we can use it on whatever device we want. They are already making money by the bucket loads on wireless service they don't need to make it from multipule devices from the same person.
Granted most of this does not apply to those of us here but to joe public it does. We will just root and tether our devices.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the whole tablet on contract thing. Carriers tout the fact that their phones can be used as wireless hotspots for 5-8 devices and now you want to sell me another plan??? C'mon man.....I will only get a wifi only tablet cos my evo is rooted with wireless tether. If you're worried about the phone's battery, get another one.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Its listed at $700 at Bestbuy.... if that's any better but $500-$600 would have been more reasonable for the wifi only version and maybe $400-$500 for it on contract.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I won't get it on contract and, if it really is $699.00 at Best Buy, I will surely get it after I see what it can do.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Verizon will even offer a contract price for the Xoom. You don't even have the option for the Galaxy Tab or iPad/MiFi, it's all month-to-month. I'll probably call Verizon and activate a data plan for 30 days when I know I'm going to be traveling or something like that, and cancel it when the 30 days is up.

As for the Wi-Fi only version, I personally don't see it coming to the US anytime before 3rd quarter, at the earliest. Obviously Verizon has exclusivity for the Xoom, and I highly doubt they're going to let Moto release a Wi-Fi only version that will directly compete. Not to mention the fact that Moto would have increased costs in marketing/selling/distributing a Wi-Fi only version themselves.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I plan on using this on the road... a lot! I'll be using the heck out of 3G and will want to upgrade to 4G as soon as it is available.

Yes, WiFi is probably available in 75%, if not more, of the places I'll be using the XOOM, but those few spots without WiFi can really ruin my day.

The good news is I should be able to discontinue my Verizon data card, so the cost will be a wash. Heck, I might even save money each month.

(The only reason I don't use my rooted Incredible for data access is because I often need to talk and have access at the same time.)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I plan on using this on the road... a lot! I'll be using the heck out of 3G and will want to upgrade to 4G as soon as it is available.

Yes, WiFi is probably available in 75%, if not more, of the places I'll be using the XOOM, but those few spots without WiFi can really ruin my day.

The good news is I should be able to discontinue my Verizon data card, so the cost will be a wash. Heck, I might even save money each month.

(The only reason I don't use my rooted Incredible for data access is because I often need to talk and have access at the same time.)

Exactly the same for me. I have the Mifi now which I plan to cancel, and use the hotspot on the XOOM. I expect it to be about a wash for me as well.

willray411

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
$700 makes an IPAD sound so much more reasonable, and I hate myself for saying that, guess I'll just wait for a price drop or wifi only version.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
$700 makes an IPAD sound so much more reasonable, and I hate myself for saying that, guess I'll just wait for a price drop or wifi only version.

If "reasonable" means getting A LOT less for only a little less money, then sure.

Let's not forget the equivalent memory equipped iPad is MORE EXPENSIVE than the XOOM and offers far less features.

If you want the reduced feature list of iPad and still save money, there are many other makers of Android pads. You'll probably only wait three or four months before seeing a slew of mid-ranged tabs running Honeycomb, at prices that will easily beat Apple.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Exactly the same for me. I have the Mifi now which I plan to cancel, and use the hotspot on the XOOM. I expect it to be about a wash for me as well.

I have a Clear Ispot that I use with my ipad. The clear plan is $25.00 month-to-month. It may be a wash for me also depending how much the Verizon plan is.

willray411

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
If "reasonable" means getting A LOT less for only a little less money, then sure.

Let's not forget the equivalent memory equipped iPad is MORE EXPENSIVE than the XOOM and offers far less features.

If you want the reduced feature list of iPad and still save money, there are many other makers of Android pads. You'll probably only wait three or four months before seeing a slew of mid-ranged tabs running Honeycomb, at prices that will easily beat Apple.

Minus the Development Cost, apple marks up the same equivalent ipad $441.85.
I understand that the XOOM has a lot more, but seeing this chart the other day at
cnn makes me think the XOOM is still too much. Everyone knows Apple marks their
stuff up quite a bit, but that's why we laugh at those Apple people. I'll purchase a
XOOM when the price comes down a bit. If they don't sell as well, they'll have no
choice but to lower price if they don't want the tablet to fall on it's face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy