1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Default Home theater control via XOOM

Ok, so here is my dilemma. I am a huge home theater buff. I currently control my home theater via an 8 year old pronto touch screen remote(which is on its way to not functioning anymore). I have always bypassed the logitech harmony line because they really didn't offer anything more than the pronto offered. With all the prospects of tablets being able to control home theater equipment and other home automations for that matter I am getting really excited. Now, I am pretty on board with getting a XOOM but I really want to be sure I can control my home theater to some extent. The most obvious option is getting a Logitech revue with the google remote app. The downside is the revue STB sucks. Yea the price just dropped to $250 but the hardware and software have a long way to go. The fact that the revue cannot pass a 5.1Ch signal from the Cable STB via HDMI to my receiver is a total deal breaker. With all the apps on the iPad that are able to control home theater and other home automations it really makes me wonder if there will be any developer support for this feature for the XOOM and future android tablets for that matter. Not to mention will there be any worth while tablet apps released for android. From what I've seen from the Galaxy Tab's release the answer is no. So I am wondering if there will be a viable alternative to home theater control other than the logitech revue. I wish logitech would just make a separate STB just for the new remote features in the revue without the google TV that would be AWESOME! But, I highly doubt that will happen. My only hope is a developer to design some type of system for these needs. Otherwise I will have to look into the very expensive control4 route. Anyone else kicking these ideas around? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CypherMax View Post
    Ok, so here is my dilemma. I am a huge home theater buff. I currently control my home theater via an 8 year old pronto touch screen remote(which is on its way to not functioning anymore). I have always bypassed the logitech harmony line because they really didn't offer anything more than the pronto offered. With all the prospects of tablets being able to control home theater equipment and other home automations for that matter I am getting really excited. Now, I am pretty on board with getting a XOOM but I really want to be sure I can control my home theater to some extent. The most obvious option is getting a Logitech revue with the google remote app. The downside is the revue STB sucks. Yea the price just dropped to $250 but the hardware and software have a long way to go. The fact that the revue cannot pass a 5.1Ch signal from the Cable STB via HDMI to my receiver is a total deal breaker. With all the apps on the iPad that are able to control home theater and other home automations it really makes me wonder if there will be any developer support for this feature for the XOOM and future android tablets for that matter. Not to mention will there be any worth while tablet apps released for android. From what I've seen from the Galaxy Tab's release the answer is no. So I am wondering if there will be a viable alternative to home theater control other than the logitech revue. I wish logitech would just make a separate STB just for the new remote features in the revue without the google TV that would be AWESOME! But, I highly doubt that will happen. My only hope is a developer to design some type of system for these needs. Otherwise I will have to look into the very expensive control4 route. Anyone else kicking these ideas around? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
    +1000 - I need this as well, I picture the tablet as the ultimate coffee table piece for controlling media and looking up info.

The Xoom has bluetooth but really needs IR, or someone will have to make a box that can control the gear with commands from any android device. I wonder if there's anything like that now.

I'd really love to be able to manage media from my pc on my xbox 360 for tv output but think I'm barking up the wrong eco-system.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Its great to hear someone who wants this tablet to function the way I see it should be able to. I agree the most logical answer is for someone to develop a wifi to ir system or bluetooth to ir system. Right now the revue offers the wifi to ir approach which I heard works great. However I don't need or want google tv. I agree we might be in the wrong ecosystem as far as apps are concerned. Let's hope developers and notice a demand for this and act upon it for us android folks.

this is what we need...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson481 View Post
    this is what we need...
    Exactly why hasn't anyone done this for android? Blackberry really.....?

Quote Originally Posted by CypherMax View Post
    Exactly why hasn't anyone done this for android? Blackberry really.....?
    i think the product really went under. back when i was a bb head, everyone was talking about this device, but then they got bought out by audiovoxx and i feel like the product got lost in obscurity. id love for someone to make this android capable. im sure all they would need to do is write the app for it, which im sure would be a hell of a lot easier than for blackberry.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Smile

Yes! There is hope. Red eye is coming to android at some point this year. Check out the last question in the faq.

Im stoked I love this type of stuff!

If you have Google Tv and the Google Tv Remote app it should be able to do almost everything you want it to do...I think? Im getting a Google Tv this weekend so I will report back and let everyone know.
    Droid MAXX Rooted on 4.4
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Update... I emailed think flood the manufacturer of the redeye products to find out their progress with android implementation.

"Thank you for your email and your interest. We are currently in the veryearly stages of development for Android. We're starting with integration forthe Wi-FiRedEye products.If you are interested in staying current with updates from ThinkFlood,you are always welcome to sign up for our newsletter here: .

We'll be starting with mobile OS, and have no plans to incorporate full support for Honeycomb with the first release.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

So I guess ill just have to use the scaled up phone version of the phone app kinda lame but I really want this functionality for my xoom.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redenbacher

Talking I like the Samsung TV remote app :)

I have a samsung 6500 led lcd tv. I definitely like this capability.
    If someone stumbles on this with a samsung tv, it was fun.
    here's a demo:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Pretty cool thanks for sharing that. I'm looking for even more control. I want the xoom to be a universal remote and be able to control all my components. Right now the best option is Google TV but its very lacking in both hardware and software. So I'm holding out for think flood's android compatible system.

I'm a commercial AV integrator and unfortunately, Android does not currently have much in the way of control and what it does have is literally $700 which is AMX's app, TP Control. Crestron has an iPod/iPad free and a $100 app that we use quite a bit but you will still need a processor and know how to program it. I can tell you though that these tablets has really changing our industry and its only a matter of time until it moves over into the residential home theater realm so be patient!!!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Cool! Gone are the dedicated remotes. People are starting to want all their content and control of their content through their phones and or tablets makes sense to me. One or two devices to control everything I love it! Haha.

Hi CypherMax,

We have a solution for you on the horizon! I work for ThinkFlood and just yesterday we launched the beta version of our RedEye for Android app. Because this is a beta version, there are some limitations (you need an iOS device to first setup your RedEye), but we're looking forward to eliminating the these limitations sooner than later.

Here's some information from our website about the beta:

Currently the RedEye app for Android is limited to control of networked RedEye hardware — that is, RedEye (WiFi) and RedEye Pro. ... For now, configuring RedEye hardware (adding devices and activities, for example) requires an iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad). There are some Android-specific issues that we are working through here, not least of which is the inability for non-rooted Android handsets to join ad-hoc WiFi networks. As a result, if you plan to participate in the Android beta, please make sure you have access to an iOS device for setup, and that you move your RedEye unit onto an infrastructure WiFi network.

Visit for more information.

We really need people who own both iOS and Android devices, who are willing to help us test. If you or anyone else is interested, please message me! Thanks.

I should also note that the beta of RedEye for Android does work with Honeycomb. Our developers have been using a XOOM tablet as one of our test devices.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Thanks I'm going to have to wait till its out of beta since I've sold all my ios devices. Is the ui set up to take advantage of the xoom's screen?

This looks promising. I checked out the website and like what I see except for the simplistic monotone UI. I think I read though that the new software allows for custom backgrounds and icons? As a former salesman of AMX systems I guess I look for function as well as visual appeal. I'm curious if you have any time table on the beta process? I do have an ipad as well as my xoom but would love to keep the ipad out of the equation. I might be mistaken but does the redeye system for $199 allow control of lights? Or is that just the pro that has to be installed by dealers? Do you have any plans to incorporate z-wave support so the normal system could interface with lights and thermostates without going through a dealer?

I use Global Cache IP2IR hardware () and iRuleAtHome software () on iPad to control my HT and really like it. I have been looking for Android software to control Global Cache's hardware so that I can use my Zoom. The hardware works great and It can't be that difficult to write an Android app so I hope someone will do it soon.