How many Xooms will Motorola sell in 3 months?

How many Xooms will Moto sell worldwide within 3 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
We're talking worldwide here...

After I read that Samsung has sold 2 million Galaxy Tabs in the last 3 months (approx), just thought I'd pose this question, since everyone is so consumed with the (rumored) price of the Xoom.

Keep in mind that the Galaxy Tab was originally priced at $600-650 depending on carrier. Currently in the US, you can get it at Verizon (off contract) for $500, $550 from AT&T (off contract), $600 at T-Mobile (off contract), or Sprint has it for $300 (+$720 at their cheapest data plan, or cancel the plan and pay $200 ETF).

This means that, based on the rumored Xoom prices, the Xoom will launch in the US for $49-149 more than the Galaxy Tab was at launch.

-ckeegan

Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Based on it's price point, I'm going to go with 500,000 or less. As much as I love this thing, I don't see very many people going out and dumping that kind of money on it, especially since average consumers know little to nothing about it thus far.

Keep in mind, Motorola expects to ship 800,000 Xooms, but shipped numbers and actual sales are two totally different figures.

Last edited:

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I don't think people will have a hard time getting one like some of the android phones last year. I can say I will buy one. Since it was mentioned I wanted it. Was thinking 600 but if I have to fork over another hundred or two I guess I will. So 1 sale for sure but I think total would be 400 to 500 thousand. In three months it could see a price drop and maybe other cheaper versions to boost numbers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Game changers

I think the XOOM represents the first of the game changers of the Android tablets, just like the HTC Incredible, and all those that came soon after, were to Android phones. The Android phone market was primed with the Nexus and the Droid1, but John Q Public didn't recognize the awesomeness until last April when the slew of announcements hit.

I predict a repeat of last April, but in the tablet world. There are so many good tablets coming... one after another... just like last year with phones.

And if you listen to the press and remember back a year, it's the same buzz. We're hearing the same Apple versus Android poop and how Apple is the powerhouse. The same silly comments were being made by the same silly Apple fan-boys. I don't have the exact quotes, but it was like:
"Why compare it to an iPhone3 when the iPhone4 is about to be released?"...
"The news about the iPhone4 will drown out any Android news."...
"Why would anyone pay $200 for an Android phone when they could get an iPhone4 for that?"...
yada, yada, yada,...
"It will take at least a year and a half to two years for Android to build ups apps and begin to come close to Apple's shipping rate."

Well... it took only weeks for Android to beat Apple's shipping rate and only eight months for Android to displace Apple as the #2 installed phone OS in North America.

Thank you for attending our reenactment of last year. The part of the Android phones will be played by Android tablets. ;-)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That is a tough question. Now doubt it is geared for the high end user, but the market is getting saturated with tabs. It will be interesting to see for sure.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Based on it's price point, I'm going to go with 500,000 or less. As much as I love this thing, I don't see very many people going out and dumping that kind of money on it, especially since average consumers know little to nothing about it thus far.

Keep in mind, Motorola expects to **** 800,000 Xooms, but shipped numbers and actual sales are two totally different figures.

Yup. I am with you.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

Keep in mind, Motorola expects to ship 800,000 Xooms, but shipped numbers and actual sales are two totally different figures.

I am right there with you. But it makes we wonder what those that are above 1mil are thinking. If the manafactuer is only expecting to ship 800K do they even have the ability to ratchet up production if it becomes a run away hit and there is a demand for even 50% more units. And if they can produce them can they get them to market fast enough to sell that many more within the time frame?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to speculate if Motorola would be able to keep up with demand if sales were to exceed what they're expecting to ship. Keep in mind, that's the figure for the first quarter of the year, and considering the Xoom isn't coming out until halfway through the 1st quarter, that's a very, VERY optimistic number.

Essentially, Motorola is prepared to ship 800K Xooms in just over 6 weeks.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Essentially, Motorola is prepared to ship 800K Xooms in just over 6 weeks.
Exactly. Basically, the poll is saying how many Xooms do you think Motorola will sell between March/April/May? I also said worldwide, since it's the only "apples to apples" way to compare it Galaxy Tab. We obviously don't know worldwide plans yet, other than the leak from Latin America suggesting that it will launch Wi-Fi only in April, 3G in May.

Anyway, it's just hard for me to imagine that the Galaxy Tab (regardless of how many carriers had it) would outsell the Xoom by that much. Seriously, TouchWiz and Froyo on a 7" screen for basically only $100 less than the price of the Xoom at launch? No-brainer for me.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
no brainer as what is the device to have, but how much of the market is absorbed? Will be interesting for sure...

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Consider that since these are all coming from Asia ship time to the US will be around 20 days on a container ship. So Even though we are only looking at it being on the market for approx 1 month of the quarter they will be shipping them for almost 2 of the months.
The 800K units has not been said that it is US it is from suppliers. So I would suspect that it worldwide shipping numbers as well not just the US.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Consider that since these are all coming from Asia ship time to the US will be around 20 days on a container ship. So Even though we are only looking at it being on the market for approx 1 month of the quarter they will be shipping them for almost 2 of the months.
The 800K units has not been said that it is US it is from suppliers. So I would suspect that it worldwide shipping numbers as well not just the US.

As of now this is a Verizon exclusive, I highly doubt at least for the first few months Motorola will be selling this thing in other markets.

Walter E Kurtz

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think that Tab was reduced in price bc it sucked. I hate to sound so hateful but I've played with it and it's not a quality product. May be the first of many tablets but that doesn't make it good. Anyways there's no way over 500,000 of these will sell. It's a great product but it's expensive and there's also the iPad 2 to compete with.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The first few hundred thousand are probably built and sitting somewhere here in the States, probably waiting for the release version of Honeycomb. The rest are most likely being built/packaged/shipped as we write this stuff.

No major manufacturer debuting a product with this attention will wait for a cargo ship. If they unit is late, they will make up time, bite the bullet, and fly the units. That has been the norm for years.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
...it's expensive and there's also the iPad 2 to compete with.

Hey Guys, Don't fall into that trap. Last year we heard the same thing about iPhone4 with regards to the newer Android phones that were being released. I remember when I gave up my iPhone for the HTC Incredible, my friends were shocked that I'd pay as much for an Android as I would pay for the new iPhone4. They didn't get it, and neither does most of the bloggers and news outlets out there.

What happened last year? Android kicked some butt. Why? Because it's a better and more complete solution... beyond the Flash thing.

Mark my words, it's going to be a replay of last year.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys, Don't fall into that trap. Last year we heard the same thing about iPhone4 with regards to the newer Android phones that were being released. I remember when I gave up my iPhone for the HTC Incredible, my friends were shocked that I'd pay as much for an Android as I would pay for the new iPhone4. They didn't get it, and neither does most of the bloggers and news outlets out there.

What happened last year? Android kicked some butt. Why? Because it's a better and more complete solution... beyond the Flash thing.

Mark my words, it's going to be a replay of last year.

Please, let's not get into this again. You're comparing the iPhone 4 to ALL OTHER ANDROID PHONES COMBINED. Not to a single Android phone. The i4 has sold way more than any single Android phone, and the iPad has and will sell better than any single Android tablet - including the XOOM at these rumored prices.

You're preaching to the choir here when saying this XOOM will be a better tablet, but that's not the point. Faced with this single product the XOOM, or the iPAD, at this price point normal consumers don't see what we do ..

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Please, let's not get into this again. You're comparing the iPhone 4 to ALL OTHER ANDROID PHONES COMBINED. Not to a single Android phone. The i4 has sold way more than any single Android phone, and the iPad has and will sell better than any single Android tablet - including the XOOM at these rumored prices.

You're preaching to the choir here when saying this XOOM will be a better tablet, but that's not the point. Faced with this single product the XOOM, or the iPAD, at this price point normal consumers don't see what we do ..
Yeah, but I do think the normal consumer's first thought is iOS or Android, not Apple iPhone or HTC Incredible. It's not the consumer's fault or Google's fault that Apple's communist thought process is that they know what one device is perfect for every consumer.

I honestly think it's most important to compare OS to OS when analyzing sales, not handset to handset. Again, nobody can control the fact that Apple decided no one wanted different screen sizes, form factors, etc.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but I do think the normal consumer's first thought is iOS or Android, not Apple iPhone or HTC Incredible. It's not the consumer's fault or Google's fault that Apple's communist thought process is that they know what one device is perfect for every consumer.

I honestly think it's most important to compare OS to OS when analyzing sales, not handset to handset. Again, nobody can control the fact that Apple decided no one wanted different screen sizes, form factors, etc.

Yup, Agreed. I think we are all saying the same thing. Although, I think the average consumer has no idea what "iOS" is ... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay