[Reviews] Motorola Xoom First Impressions & Reviews

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
How is the web browsing experience almost perfect with no flash and the browser defaulting to mobile sites? I love the tabbed interface and the browser is fast, but it still needs some work.

about:debug seems to work. I agree that as a default it shouldn't show up as a mobile browser, but at the same time a lot of non-mobile optimized sites are terrible not because of their formatting, but more because they're not finger friendly.

A lot of the sites that HAVE tablet optimized configurations are ones that were built for the ipad and they most likely won't show up correctly on the xoom unless the developers go back and re-code the site. (good example of this is how there were a TON of sites that displayed mobile automatically for an iphone, but didn't for a Droid)

I used to sell phones, and let me tell you that store models are some of the WORST ways to judge a device. They're handled by tons of people every week, doing who knows what with it. At my old store, we'd have at least one person a day try installing ATK on a dummy phone.

As for GPS, I haven't run through the activation for it yet, but I know that with most Android devices, you need to turn ON location services. We never did this with our dummy units.

I haven't bought a Xoom or any tablet yet, so my "judgement isn't colored by buyers remorse" but after playing with one I've decided that I want to get it (or another Honeycomb Tablet) as soon as I can.
-The speed was insane. Switching between apps was like switching between stuff on my computer.
-Paired with the BT keyboard, this could EASILY be a replacement for a laptop I was planning on getting anyway.
-Loved the browser. Most of the sites I frequent (that arn't tech centric) don't even have mobile versions, though I do wish they had desktop view turned on as a default.
-The few tablet optimized apps I played with got me really excited for the platform, and the non-optimized apps I use most (games excluded) seemed to work wonderfully.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
So I've had a few more days to play with the Xoom and I'm still happy. The device is snappy, browsing is good, movie playback is good and I love the screen for reading books. I'm a Fascinate owner so not having flash in the browser is not a new concept for me. I tend to not watch a lot of web videos and the sites I do normally block it for mobile like tested.com or engadget.com. I just recently converted a couple HD movies and they run great on the Xoom. I used to use the Kindle app on my phone but now I'm reading those on the Xoom. I like the paging in Google Books but the Kindle app works fine on the Xoom. So far I'm very happy with the device and feel it meets the needs I was looking for in a tablet.

jpeze

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I went to bestbuy on the 24th and couldn't find the xoom anywhere. It was hidden in the back by the computers. I played around with it for about 30 minutes and it was okay, but I was not blown away. I decide to go ahead and buy it and try it out. Worst case scenario would be to return it within 14 days...... However, once I got it hope signed into my accounts drop some music and videos on it, it started to grow on me. I have had it a few days now and I don't think I am taking back. I keep debating waiting for Toshibas wifi version only or motorola's wifi only. I think I am going to keep it, I like it more and more each day. It is starting to grow on my wife also. What else is influening me is that the app NESOID works great on the device. I highly recommend the device just waiting on flash, and a few updates.

My only complaint is the charger with the little connector. I see this breaking over time.

xoom

Rhyyker

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I played with this device at best buy the other day and really liked the feel of it, but I'm still a little hesitant to take the plunge. I thought here might be a good place to ask the questions I had, since the BB guy didnt seem to know his stuff (thought it was on 4G already).

I'll be using it mainly for home use, so one major concern for me is media file compatibility. specifically, will I be able to watch files i download from the internet to my desktop, and move via usb? These files are mainly .avi, .wmv and xvid files. Will these be able to play on the xoom, with the native video player or a downloaded app?

also, I am considering buying it on contract with the minimum data plan, as i will rarely travel with it. what is generally the best option, data plan or off contract?

thanks a bunch guys!

ChevyStorm88

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I played with this device at best buy the other day and really liked the feel of it, but I'm still a little hesitant to take the plunge. I thought here might be a good place to ask the questions I had, since the BB guy didnt seem to know his stuff (thought it was on 4G already).

I'll be using it mainly for home use, so one major concern for me is media file compatibility. specifically, will I be able to watch files i download from the internet to my desktop, and move via usb? These files are mainly .avi, .wmv and xvid files. Will these be able to play on the xoom, with the native video player or a downloaded app?

also, I am considering buying it on contract with the minimum data plan, as i will rarely travel with it. what is generally the best option, data plan or off contract?

thanks a bunch guys!

Love it so far, and with updated apps arriving daily it just keeps getting better and better!

MP4's are the only video file I have tried so far, but works great with native video player. I am pretty close with our companies Verizon rep, so I take his advise regularly. He advised the 3gig plan for $35 a month. If you go over, it is now only $10 a gig, instead of paying by the mb. Just remember, it is a two year contract...

Hope this helps!

sookibong

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've played with it a couple of times at Verizon. Here's my thoughts. While I still completely prefer Honeycomb to iOS, I felt somewhat underwhelmed in light of my high expectations.

Hardware:
I wish the height/width ratio was a bit smaller. It feels too short in landscape (especially given the size of the task bar) and too tall in portrait.
The brightness could have a higher maximum.

Honeycomb:
Not sure if it was just the floor models that I played with, but it does seem prone to slow downs and jitteriness. Any tablet I buy will need to be near flawless in responsiveness and transitions. It's essential to the experience.
I'm not feeling the new menu button for select apps in the top right. I get that there is now more real estate to allow for these menus, but the inconsistency from app to app is irksome. Hopefully most developers phase out their pop-up menus for tablets.
Ultimately the Honeycomb theme is rather bland. I'm assuming we'll be able to theme the hell out of it at some point, but I wish the stock popped a little more. For all the limitations of the iPad, I can't help but just stare it's dazzling display. Black and blue is rather dreary in comparison.

chaguewood

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So I have been playing with my xoom for the first few hours so far and for the most part I love it.

My biggest complaint so far would be the lack of compatible widgets. I have an evo and love the sense widgets. Hopefully these get fixed and updated very soon.

I have managed to crash the browser quite a few times, but only on facebook thus far. However that isn't good considering the facebook app doesn't even work.

I have a feeling it could take me all day tomorrow to customize it to my liking. I will definitely be utilizing these forums for helpful tips :)

pixelslave

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I unboxed mine today (I took a HD video of the unboxing -- yeah, boring but I did it anyway: YouTube - Motorola Xoom Unboxing Clear HD)

So far, I like it as a tablet. But I have to say one thing, even though some people may not think it's such a big thing.

I paid $800 for this thing, and I really expected to be treated like someone who are willing to pay that much. But when I opened the box, I found that my Xoom was sitting there right inside the box, without anything wrapping it. There's a plastic sheet to protect the screen, but that's it. Look, I am not asking for a fancy velvet bag, or anything. Motorola, please at least give me a damn plastic bag. It may cost you, 2 cents? Instead, they just put the Xoom inside the box, and it's covered with fingerprints. The box cover is also very loose, and wasn't taped to the bottom (you know, those circular tape that many gadget packaging use.)

Motorola really needs to learn more about packaging.

Reactions: xzigraz

FluxTZ

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100% on the packaging front. I was stunned when the girl at Best Buy told me that none of the Xoom boxes had any sealed wrapping or sticker on them. Just a loose lid. My Xoom didn't have any problems though.

GobbleXoom

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I found the box not being taped weird and a little scary...especially when I got home and saw this lady greeting me in the photo gallery.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

FluxTZ

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I found the box not being taped weird and a little scary...especially when I got home and saw this lady greeting me in the photo gallery.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

wtf - I would return it for a different one and ask for a discount. That's ridiculous.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
got mine at costco, box was wrapped in sealed loose plastic that looked like something official from motorola, had some kind of motorola sticker on it. The costco guy had to take off the plastic to open the box and get it activated. He did it while I stood there. he was very carefull only to lift one corner up out of the box to turn it on that was it. all of the protective plastic that was on the xoom itself was free of fingerprints of any kind.

pixelslave

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
got mine at costco, box was wrapped in sealed loose plastic that looked like something official from motorola, had some kind of motorola sticker on it. The costco guy had to take off the plastic to open the box and get it activated. He did it while I stood there. he was very carefull only to lift one corner up out of the box to turn it on that was it. all of the protective plastic that was on the xoom itself was free of fingerprints of any kind.

Ah ha ... I asked around and as far as I can tell, none of the Xoom sold by Best Buy came sealed. I also heard from someone who work at a Best Buy that they didn't take the seal out. The Xoom arrived without any plastic seal or bags. So, Costco got them sealed, but Best Buy didn't? Why? Moto doesn't like Best Buy customer? :(

xzigraz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree, when I saw the boss, I was thinking why can't they make the package a little bit better? This feels like a cheap 300 dollar product from the look of the box.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
you know, I bet a lot of the reasons people notice apps crashing on the Xoom/android over iOS, is that when a program crashes on Android, you get a message saying it has crashed "forced close" sounds bad, and you have to report or close it etc....

on my iPad, when my browser would crash daily, it just closes...I bet to the avg consumer they probably think its normal or that they did something...just a thought.