Changed Minds?

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Was 100% XOOM, but wavering now. But it's not because another tablet is catching my eye.

There is an old saying. It's not originally english, but roughly translated: "If someone steals on the way in, they will steal while they are with you, and steal on the way out."

It's not that Motorola is "stealing", but they are showing apathy, if not arrogance, toward their potential customers. If they show apathy and arrogance toward me now... BEFORE they get my money... why should I expect good customer service AFTER they have my money.

They may have lost my business.

I see what you are saying; but at the same time, you really can't blame Motorola or Verizon for anything except for remaining silent. But just wondering, how do you think they are "stealing"?

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It's a metaphor. Its just sad to see all the top HC tablet makers have sold their sold their souls to the devil (carriers). I bet you it was baked into the smartphone contracts they signed. We may be stuck with Toshiba, Acer and Asus which may not be a bad thing as long as they don't spend time "skinning" their devices.Toshiba's tablet has comparable specs to the Xoom

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It's a metaphor. Its just sad to see all the top HC tablet makers have sold their sold their souls to the devil (carriers). I bet you it was baked into the smartphone contracts they signed. We may be stuck with Toshiba, Acer and Asus which may not be a bad thing as long as they don't spend time "skinning" their devices.Toshiba's tablet has comparable specs to the Xoom

Most of those tablet developers most likely didn't have the capital to risk in going wifi only with the device. carrier partnerships give them stability. It's basically assured income. I'm sad that they don't go wifi off the bat, but I understand why they didn't

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting... if the price drops even though I could easily afford it, I just don't want to support myself getting railed, but some people can easily speculate this is a advertising technique, Xoom pre order $1200, it got a lot of spread around the internet, if they just put it up for the $800 pre order, it would of been less impact, but the $1200 was a huge impact on how fast it spread.

If the Xoom though turns out to be the $800, I may wait for the ASUS tablets due to the fact I already got a Ep 121, and the screen is nothing short of amazing and overall build quality is nice, so I can confirm the quality of the IPS screens in the ASUS tablets will be very good and so will the build quality. I also like the home button on the ASUS tablet. Only concern about it is they built the tablet around the keyboard, ie huge bezel, instead of building the keyboard around the tablet.

John566

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
If only we could also run Honeycomb on our EP121s. :)

I'll get a Zoom to try it out. If it doesn't impress me though it is going back and I'll probably wait for an Ipad 2 (if it supports flash). Anyone know if the Zoom will run 720p .flv ?

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If only we could also run Honeycomb on our EP121s. :)

I'll get a Zoom to try it out. If it doesn't impress me though it is going back and I'll probably wait for an Ipad 2 (if it supports flash). Anyone know if the Zoom will run 720p .flv ?

flv is just a file wrapper, but all of the typical formats (H.264, etc) used in flv are independently supported by the Xoom (or at least the Tegra 2 chip). You would probably need a 3rd party player though.

And as eallan said, there really is a 0% chance that the next iPad will support flash. Maybe after a few more years when Apple realizes how bad Android is beating them they will capitulate and add support but not this year.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
And as eallan said, there really is a 0% chance that the next iPad will support flash. Maybe after a few more years when Apple realizes how bad Android is beating them they will capitulate and add support but not this year.
We have to recognize why Apple won't support Flash or Java. It's a threat to their app market. Owners could play flash games and write their own with Java, bypassing iTunes completely.

iTunes is a BIG revenue source and Apple aims to protect it. Android has already taken over the mobile OS market. iOS is now third (ignoring Symbian, of course). Apple is not phased in the least. They are more then happy owning a large minority piece of the market while maintaining their large margins.

We will not be seeing Flash or Java any time soon.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Nvidia might have changed my mind tonight with their Tegra road-map announcement. They'll have a next-gen quad-core Tegra processor shipping in tablets by late Q3 of this year with twice the performance of Tegra 2. I understand technology cycles are shortening, but this is getting ridiculous. I know tech companies like to freeze the market by announcing better-spec'd devices in the hopes people will wait, but this time they're announcing that the current generation is obsolete before it's even hit the market in a single device. It's crazy.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know tech companies like to freeze the market by announcing better-spec'd devices in the hopes people will wait, but this time they're announcing that the current generation is obsolete before it's even hit the market in a single device. It's crazy.
New Gen does not make the previous gen obsolete.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Some of the new tablets look very intriguing, but I'll be getting the XOOM. I can definitely see interest in some of the different form factors and other OS's (the Touchpad looks very, very slick). However, I definitely prefer the XOOM and can't wait for it.

There definitely will be options out there now soon though, that's for sure. And that is a great thing. :)

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I was really interested until the price hit. I still think Xoom is a great device, but I can't justify that much $$ for what is basically an entertainment toy. By time I pay state tax and Verizon's fees, I'm close to $900.

I'm hoping a WiFi only version comes out with a substantial price cut. Also want to see more on the Toshiba tablet - preliminary info on that one looks interesting. And I want to see more of what HTC has to offer - I've heard Flyer is just first of several tablets they have coming.

So I think any big tablet purchase by me is probably 4-6 months off. Until then, I might pick up a Nook Color, root it, and install Honeycomb.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
In this case it kind of does. Next-gen Tegra will be out in devices in August, with four cores and twice the performance of Tegra 2. Check out the video on the front page of AC.
I get that it will be better, but obsolete was the wrong choice of words. Maybe the best phrase would be bad investment or something.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So I think any big tablet purchase by me is probably 4-6 months off. Until then, I might pick up a Nook Color, root it, and install Honeycomb.
I was actually thinking this same strategy as well. But if I go with the $200ish Nook and I am waiting for a $600 10.1" tablet with all my specs I would be better to just get the Xoom. The price of the Nook and the next tablet will be $500-$600 so I am at $800 before tax anyway.

So I abandoned the idea of the Nook and just decided to wait for the market to meet my price demand.

Last edited:

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Technology is moving too fast. I want the Xoom but now they have announced the newer Tegra that is 5X faster. The Xoom looks great but I really don't know what to do. The buy back program from Best Buy would only give me 50% back off the Xoom but if it is only going to be a couple months old then I don't think 50% is enough. I could sell it but who would want to buy it when a newer, faster tablet is out.

wbonnefond

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've decided I'm going to pick the Xoom up from Costco, with their 90-day full refund return policy it makes the most sense. Who knows, maybe in 3 months a better tablet will be out. If so I'll just take my Xoom back to Costco, and buy the newest tablet.

jasbur

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to get one and have verizon pay-as-you-go service whenever I need it (day trips, vacations, etc.) But now they say I gotta pay the activation fee every time I need data?

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to get one and have verizon pay-as-you-go service whenever I need it (day trips, vacations, etc.) But now they say I gotta pay the activation fee every time I need data?
That is a direct contradiction to Verizon's policy, so I don't think Best Buy will have any luck enforcing it. I have verified with my Verizon rep, and Verizon customer service, that you only pay the activation fee one time. If you cancel the data plan for any length of time, you will not be responsible for another activation charge should you decide to resume data service.

Now, if you cancel the service within 3 days, you get a refund of the activation fee. I could see them charging another activation fee once you resume data in that situation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty