Xoom to get Netflix?

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I am getting a tablet for media/entertainment so Netflix is important to me.

I see that netflix will only work for now on Qualcomm chips....Xoom uses Nvidia Tegra 2.

Does this mean that the Xoom will NOT be getting Netflix?

This is really annoying and is real fragmentation, and I am a huge android supporter, but this is getting old.

Google needs to start taking SOME initiative here.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think Netflix was available for Android period and, I didn't know the chips had anything to do with it. It would be nice it they got it but, not a deal breaker for me.

I've used it on my Ipad but, not much because I just watch it at home on a big screen. However, I agree they should get it though, to have a full portable-media device.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Netflix will be available on qualcomm devices to start. It was announced at MWC. It has to do with the movie studios wanting drm style protection before they sanction it. They have sanctioned qualcomm to make devices cos they have added extra encryption on their chips(I'm probably not using the right technical terms but u get the gist)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
This outrages I read that also. How the heck can Apple, windows7 or even a bb get netflix and not Android. This crazy and a big failure the tegra phones should get this end

Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
This so reminds me of the flash mess. Oh buy the moto Droid and get flash took till the phone was outdated before it got flash

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This outrages I read that also. How the heck can Apple, windows7 or even a bb get netflix and not Android. This crazy and a big failure the tegra phones should get this end

None of those devices are as open as Android. I think its fair to assume Android users are more technical minded and could do what the movie companies don't want users to do and make copies of every streamed movie to their device...this still isn't a good enough excuse, especially considering Androids marketshare.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I am getting a tablet for media/entertainment so Netflix is important to me.
IMHO, if this is all you want to do, I suggest you get save some money and get an iPad.

Seriously, media and entertainment will be Apple's strong suit going forward for at least another year or two.

Not a joke and not being sarcastic. A XOOM is way more machine than you need, and as you said, it doesn't even have what's important to you yet.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
i understand the capabilities of Android, I have been a power android user for a while...owned the iPad and the Tab.

I really want the xoom and I can definitely rip files and put them on the xoom. Honestly, MLB.tv is more important to me since I can just rip files and put them on the tab.

However, I do like the option of tv episodes on the Xoom (Netflix).

We'll see...I am still considering both.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
i am afraid this might just set a precedent...

Netflix and MLB.tv are two apps that I am hoping for on my tablet for sure.

Honestly, this is very bad

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Kinda off topic but at this point I am just hoping for an NFL season this fall, I will worry about there being an app for that later.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's what Netflix has already said about the Tegra 2 (from the Nvidia site):

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities." -- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix

Personally, I'm pretty confident that we'll see Netflix on the Xoom sooner rather than later. The noise around Qualcomm might simply be Qualcomm and Netflix choosing to market it specifically.

scampcat

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Chillax, y'all. Sometimes the shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line. Until they make a direct app for it, you can always use PlayOn Server at home to DLNA-stream it to your tablet/phone. Since there's the OpenVPN client for Android (and you all profess to be advanced Android users), just VPN into your home (when away) and use it that way. Or even simpler, expose a port to your PlayOn server (password protected of course) for PlayOn Mobile support. As long as you have a decent upload speed and static IP (or DDNS), it should work fine.

And if Hulu is such a big deal, PlayOn will do that too, as will TVersity. Think outside the box. I can't be the first one to have figured this out.

Half the fun of someone telling you "no" is the middle finger you can give back by showing them otherwise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang