Xoom OS Updates

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am not thrilled about paying an extra $200 for the 3G/Wifi version of the Xoom, but am leaning in that direction given how long it has taken Samsung to deliver a Wifi only Galaxy Tab. That said, one of the things that may hold me back is who will be providing the OS updates.

Verizon is notorious for being slow at distributing updates (I believe Motorola finalized the Froyo code months before VZW pushed it to the Droids). Motorola seems a bit quicker, but will they be pushing the updates to all Xooms, or just the Wifi Xooms? Given that they have committed to bringing some version of Blur to the Xoom and this is a first version OS, I expect updates to come frequently in the beginning. I can't imagine Google would be providing the updates, but that may be possible given this is a pure Google device, initially.

Have we heard anything about this yet?

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Given that they have committed to bringing some version of Blur to the Xoom and this is a first version OS, I expect updates to come frequently in the beginning. I can't imagine Google would be providing the updates, but that may be possible given this is a pure Google device, initially.

Have we heard anything about this yet?
Motorola Corporate quickly reversed that employee's comment by saying that Blur would not be coming to the XOOM, since it is a Google Experience Device.

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/21/correction-from-motorola-no-plans-for-motoblur-on-the-xoom/

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully because this is essentially a pure Google experience device, when updates are released by Google, the Xoom will get them quickly. Unfortunately, that's something we'll just have to wait and see on.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
At first I thought we'd have to wait a while because of Verizon being involved but since they officially announced a Wifi version, there HAS to be a quick way of getting updates. I doubt it'll be like a Nexus device, but they should still be timely.

EDIT: I was perusing the XOOM User Guide and found this about software updates:

"If network updates are not available in your country, you can update using a computer. On your computer, go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2F%2Fwww.motorola.com%2Fmyxoom&token=qDN1Vv0x and check the “Software” links. If an update is available, simply follow the installation instructions."

That sounds better than waiting for Motorola AND Verizon to shoot out an update!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey