Did Xoom scare Apple?

l44l44

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup, sounds like it to me. I think Apple usually goes a couple of years between product refreshes, so this report sounds like they pushed their schedule up by about 12 months.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree with jae. If anything Apple waited this extra month to see what this xoom was all about and is now making their announcement to steal some xoom hype

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Apple does hardware refreshes every year.
This man is correct. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't pay attention to Apple news.

iPhone has been refreshed every year since '07 in late June.

iPod touch has been refreshed every year since '07 in early September (same goes for other iPods).

MacBooks are refreshed every 9-12 months (they rarely go over a year without a new set of MacBooks).

I predict that the iPad will be refreshed around this time period (late February to March) for years to come.

It's safe to say that the Xoom didn't really have any effect upon Apple's decision-making process for the release date for the iPad 2.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
More Specifically

iPhone - January 2007
iPhone 3G - June 2008
iPhone 3GS - June 2009
iPhone 4 - June 2010

iPad was announced Janury 2010 and released April 2010.

So March fits in about right.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd say that the Xoom is rushed to release right now to get out in front of the ipad2, especially with the rumored announcement next week.

I'm not an apple fan, but I think their product release schedules and released information for availability and pricing are top notch.

We wouldn't have this much 2nd guessing going on had the Xoom been released like an Apple product.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Apple is scared of losing it's customers. Wasn't the release supposed to be in April? Seems like Apple doesn't want Motorola have a head start.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Apple is scared of losing it's customers. Wasn't the release supposed to be in April? Seems like Apple doesn't want Motorola have a head start.

Have to understand how Apple works and does business. The way it works is usually a press conference with lots of demoing of the new product, Steve Jobs attending but perhaps not this time, with features being shown in an easy to understand manner, with examples of how you could utilize said features in your day to day life.

Then, some time after, with the hype machine taking attention from everything and everyone else, the product launches. My guesstimate would be April sometime.

And no, this is not Apple being scared. If anything Motorola is being scared and rushing to the table.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This man is correct. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't pay attention to Apple news.

iPhone has been refreshed every year since '07 in late June.

iPod touch has been refreshed every year since '07 in early September (same goes for other iPods).

MacBooks are refreshed every 9-12 months (they rarely go over a year without a new set of MacBooks).

I predict that the iPad will be refreshed around this time period (late February to March) for years to come.

It's safe to say that the Xoom didn't really have any effect upon Apple's decision-making process for the release date for the iPad 2.

My thoughts exactly! +1

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
This is just typical apple timing. They released the iPad on April 3rd last year. And they announce new products well in advance but exsisting ones get anywhere from 2-4 weeks normally. And they try to stay within a 2-4 week release date year to year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech