Data plan/activation question

rtc1036

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello there. I got in on the pre order and am anxiously waiting for Thursday to get here. However I am a bit confused on how the data plan and activation work. I've managed to save enough to cover the purchase, activation and one month of data, I just want the WiFi with the option later for a data plan when I can afford it. Anyway, how is that billed? Do I pay for it up front and give them a credit card or do they send bill to my house? I want to pay for the minimum and turn it off as soon as possible with no other contact from Verizon. Is this possible? If anyone could give me a heads up on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the help.

zmenchhofer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
this is still an unknown, your best bet it to search toe forums before opening a new thread and also calling VZW or your place of purchase

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
It is my understanding, you will open an account with VZW, and depending on credit history, you may or may not need to make a down payment.

After you pay your 1 month of service you can either cancel or suspend your service. If you plan on turning data on and off and back on again several times, I would suggest just suspending your service. There is no activation fee if you go that route.

Good luck!

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I was told by Verizon if you have a account already it will just be on the same bill. A friend has Verizon phones and a galaxy tab and that's what's done. If you don't have Verizon it might be different and may need a account or maybe will be something you pay each month from the tab itself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was told by Verizon if you have a account already it will just be on the same bill.
I've actually been wondering this. I'm a Verizon customer already, but buying the XOOM Best Buy. Hopefully Best Buy will be able to add it to my existing Verizon service, so I only have one bill?

Don't know how that works, but I guess I'll find out in 22.5 hours!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
It is my understanding, you will open an account with VZW, and depending on credit history, you may or may not need to make a down payment.

After you pay your 1 month of service you can either cancel or suspend your service. If you plan on turning data on and off and back on again several times, I would suggest just suspending your service. There is no activation fee if you go that route.

Good luck!

there is no down payment whatsoever.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So if they do a credit check and you are deemed undesirable they will just tell you that you can not buy a Xoom? Usually in this cases like bad credit they require a down payment to secure your service.

What are you basing your "no down payment" statement on?

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
My local VZW store confirmed (for whatever thats worth) that a dataplan is required for at least one month. $55 scam.

I ain't buying one until the a wifi only version is available.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
My local VZW store confirmed (for whatever thats worth) that a dataplan is required for at least one month. $55 scam.

I ain't buying one until the a wifi only version is available.

So the whole cancel 3 minutes later plan might not work for some people?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The down payment is required if your grabbing a xoom on contract if your credit isn't so great. For those paying full price, Verizon is treating it like your setting up a prepaid plan. Happy smart ass?

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The down payment is required if your grabbing a xoom on contract if your credit isn't so great. For those paying full price, Verizon is treating it like your setting up a prepaid plan. Happy smart ass?

Just correcting your misinformation, don't get so bent out of shape because you answered a question incorrectly and it gets corrected.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Nothing I said was incorrect. I should have pointed out about on-contact/off-contract.
You said no down payment whatsoever. There is actually a case of a downpayment required, you provided simple misinformation based on either ignorance or laziness.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The OP said he wanted WiFi only with the option of data later of he wanted. It is implied that he is grabbing the device at full cost. So I was correct. But you want to continue to be a smart ass because you seem to get off on it so more power to you. Continue to make yourself look like a troll around here. You're only hurting you rep around here more jerk.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay lets review. Here was the OP...

Hello there. I got in on the pre order and am anxiously waiting for Thursday to get here. However I am a bit confused on how the data plan and activation work. I've managed to save enough to cover the purchase, activation and one month of data, I just want the WiFi with the option later for a data plan when I can afford it. Anyway, how is that billed? Do I pay for it up front and give them a credit card or do they send bill to my house? I want to pay for the minimum and turn it off as soon as possible with no other contact from Verizon. Is this possible? If anyone could give me a heads up on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Then we had this response, which you quoted and replied to.

Good luck!

Then you said this

The OP said he wanted WiFi only with the option of data later of he wanted. It is implied that he is grabbing the device at full cost. So I was correct. But you want to continue to be a smart ass because you seem to get off on it so more power to you. Continue to make yourself look like a troll around here. You're only hurting you rep around here more jerk.

According to my Best Buy Mobile associate there is a credit check that could require a down payment for the single month "plan". I have gotten 2 different answers from the Verizon, one was from the mouth breather at the mall kiosk and the other was the retail clerk at the store. The store said a down payment could be required for a single month contract and the kisok said no.

So you continue to call me an ass, a troll, and a jerk all you want. I will just keep providing the information as I know it to be at the time I know it. There the possiblity of a down payment and your matter of fact, none whatsoever, is misleading at best.

And about my rep. Your kidding right, this is a forum on the itnernet. No one her knows you or I.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
What I mean about your rep professor, is that if you continue to be a condescending @sshat, the members around here are going to label you as such. And your doing a stand up job of it so far. Bravo.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What I mean about your rep professor, is that if you continue to be a condescending @sshat, the members around here are going to label you as such. And your doing a stand up job of it so far. Bravo.
So I am an asshat, ass, jerk and troll. I have yet to call you names or flame you back, yet I am the one you think is getting a bad rep? Not that the rep matters to me, but it seems like it does to you, so you may want to tone down the name calling, it seems beneath what rep you want to have.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I call it how it see it. I don't know about you but I like being able to come and frequent an enthusiast forum where I know I am being helpful and contributing. Maybe you should try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz