Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Reader

I downloaded the Google Reader app, but I have to say I'm not a fan of its setup. It takes me about three taps to get an article.

Does anyone know if it is possible to enable a preview pane, with a list of your subscriptions on the left? Basically, I am just trying to get it to work like Google Reader through a regular web browser (which I thought was perfect), but which I can't seem to load on the Xoom.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a really stupid, minor question (more stupid and minor than the google reader question) that I didn't see an appropriate thread for, so here it goes: is there a good widget for showing the time and weather? I'm not impressed with the clock-widget that comes on the xoom, and while I've tried to download a couple of widgets from the marketplace, they don't come out looking right. Do you have to enable 3D on your homepage or something? Thanks!

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Yeah I prefer the web to the app for reader, although I'm given the pulse a try.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Give Newsr a shot, I built it specifically for Honeycomb: Newsr | Chris Stewart
    Founder, Locomo Labs - http://locomolabs.com - @locomolabs

Friend Me (FREE -- Honeycomb Optimized) - A tablet-optimized experience for Facebook.
    TweetComb (FREE -- Honeycomb Optimized) - A Twitter client optimized for your Honeycomb tablet.
    Newsr (FREE -- Honeycomb Optimized) - A Google Reader client optimized for your Honeycomb tablet.

Try the beautiful widgets app in the thread below, it has a widget with time and weather together in many different sizes.
    Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.0.1 Manta Ray || Tiamat 2.1.0 "Tachi"
    Samsung Infuse 4G: Infused v2.0.2 - Gingerbread!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I am really considering trying out newsr Chris but I am concerned that it will be missing some of the features that I have come to enjoy on my iPad (instapaper integration as well as webkit for opening the full page .) I may give it a shot, I am just not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post
    Give Newsr a shot, I built it specifically for Honeycomb: Newsr | Chris Stewart
    Good lord that's nice.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Quote Originally Posted by 0157h7 View Post
    I am really considering trying out newsr Chris but I am concerned that it will be missing some of the features that I have come to enjoy on my iPad (instapaper integration as well as webkit for opening the full page .) I may give it a shot, I am just not sure yet.
    Just know, its all coming. I've put out a new release almost everyday since the initial and will continue to make Newsr better and better.

Edit: I should note that you can go to the original article in the Xoom browser, there's a link at the bottom of the article body.

Friend Me (FREE -- Honeycomb Optimized) - A tablet-optimized experience for Facebook.
    TweetComb (FREE -- Honeycomb Optimized) - A Twitter client optimized for your Honeycomb tablet.
    Newsr (FREE -- Honeycomb Optimized) - A Google Reader client optimized for your Honeycomb tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Good lord that's nice.
    Thanks Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Good lord that's nice.
    +1.

Wow! Damn you, Chris, I thought I had a tighter grip on that $2.99 in my pocket but it seems to have mysteriously floated over to your account.

Seriously, great looking app. I need to get off my *** and start working on some apps of my own. (Working on an app for myself to help me with running my 4th Ed D&D game, figure I'll put it out there if I write it well enough to share.)

Thanks!!

Chris

Any plans to create the ability to sync and download articles for offline viewing? I am trying to find something that syncs with Google Reader, but allows me to read the entire article (not just the RSS blurb like Pulse) while I am on a plane.

Definitely in my plans. Trying to take care of some of the more basic functionality right now, but it's high on my list to do for sure.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redenbacher

I totally love pulse rss reader. It is my number 1 by far it also has a facebook updates if you want very customizable. Previews and 1 click reads.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom HDMI Out Pulse RSS Reader by BooyaGadget, on Flickr
    Last edited by acozzens; 04-07-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: market link, photo
    I write about all my personal projects. love to write and make videos, and I upload a crapload to flickr. game reviews, demos, how tos. love it, check it out at BooyaGadget.

I wanted to update this to say I've done a lot with Newsr in the last week or so, so please give it a look if you haven't recently. Tonight I added a few highly requested features:

- Token authorization uses any Google account now, not just gmail.com and googlemail.com accounts.
    - Can now view starred articles in the label view.
    - Implemented the native Share feature of Google Reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post
    I wanted to update this to say I've done a lot with Newsr in the last week or so, so please give it a look if you haven't recently. Tonight I added a few highly requested features:

- Token authorization uses any Google account now, not just gmail.com and googlemail.com accounts.
    - Can now view starred articles in the label view.
    - Implemented the native Share feature of Google Reader.
    Hey Chris love the app. Updated it tonight and it keeps force closing as soon as I log in. Not sure what is going on. Never had problems before.

Sent from my Xoom

There was a bug with version 1.10 that I noticed just after pushing it. I put out 1.11 shortly after which fixes it. Please check and see if that is available and let me know if you experience issues with it. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks for the fast turn around. It did seem to do the trick and everything seems to be in order and working fine. Will recommend this app to anyone and everyone. Has completely replaced newsrob now that I can read my starred items.

Sent from my Xoom

Glad to hear it, thanks for the support!