Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Firefox 4 for android

Has anyone tried this on the Xoom, personally I prefer Chrome but I thouh someone here might want it....
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

I havent used FF on the Xoom yet.... I like Chrome on the Xoom but on my PC I use FF
    Proud Owner of:
    Galaxy Nexus - XOOM
    Love my Dropbox

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

What are you calling "Chrome"? The built-in browser? Thats not Chrome...its webkit isnt it?...I don't see Chrome on the market.

I settled on Dolphin for the Xoom for now....

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWu View Post
    What are you calling "Chrome"? The built-in browser? Thats not Chrome...its webkit isnt it?...I don't see Chrome on the market.
    Chrome is WebKit based, and the browser is very much alike to Chrome. I don't think Google is actually considering it Chrome, but it's pretty damn close to it.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

ROM
    CM 9.1.0

I've played around with FF4 a bit, and honestly I'm not all that thrilled. Mainly with the graphic scaling...it seems to have a very pixelated look :-(

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Dolphin browser mini for me. Pretty fast.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I've used Firefox for Android on Xoom. Its ok. I agree with others who have said that it isn't all that impressive.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

I have used FF for a couple of days now.

I'm going back to the stock browser. They rushed it, and it's worse on the Desktop version that continually crashes.

I can't even find my damned bookmarks and as someone mentioned, it's very slow and pixelated.

I installed it yesterday after I got my Xoom from UPS and Beknatok nagged me to death to do it. It's not a bad browser, it just took some getting used to especially if you didn't use any of the betas.

First off, your tabs are hidden to the left. Swipe from the left edge to the right an inch or so and you'll see the tabs there, plus a button at the bottom to add a new tab. To get to your bookmarks, tap the address bar. There'll be a screen that comes up with a number of tabs, including Bookmarks. Your navigation buttons are hidden to to right. Same as with the other edge, swipe from the right edge to the left an inch and a small bar appears with a Star button (add/edit/remove bookmark for this page), back and forward buttons, and the Settings button to the bottom. To hide either bar, just drag the page itself towards the bar.

If you're using Firefox Sync to get your bookmarks from your desk, I too noticed at first that none of my bookmarks showed up after I set up the sync. I had to manually force a sync to offer by going to Setings, hitting the "Details" button under the Sync section and pressed "Sync Now". It took a minute or two for my mountain of bookmarks but it worked. After that, in the Bookmarks tab I mentioned about, you'll see a folder called "Desktop Bookmarks" that contains all your bookmarks from the desktop version of Firefox.

Hope that helps anybody else who didn't know these tricks. Drove me nuts for a bit until I learned those tips.

Quote Originally Posted by zmenchhofer View Post
    I havent used FF on the Xoom yet.... I like Chrome on the Xoom but on my PC I use FF
    If you use firefox on desktop, firefox on android should be more attractive, as it syncs bookmark, history, passwords, filled forms, even opened tabs with desktop firefox.

the stock browser on android isn't that good, even comparing to chrome on the desktop. Firefox mobile js benchmark is almost twice as fast as the android stock browser.

Thw downside of firefox mobile, right now, is no flash, and no webpage text copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    If you use firefox on desktop, firefox on android should be more attractive, as it syncs bookmark, history, passwords, filled forms, even opened tabs with desktop firefox.

the stock browser on android isn't that good, even comparing to chrome on the desktop. Firefox mobile js benchmark is almost twice as fast as the android stock browser.

Thw downside of firefox mobile, right now, is no flash, and no webpage text copy and paste.
    And the crappy pixelated image quality! That's the only thing keeping me from usuing it....

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

I've switched exlusively to Opera Mobile on the xoom, best browser experience I've had so far. and Flash works.

Quote Originally Posted by 03cbr954rr View Post
    And the crappy pixelated image quality! That's the only thing keeping me from usuing it....
    Smooth zoom is not implemented, its nice to have for sure, I dont have much problem at this time, but hope they fix it sooner rather than later

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ace Rom 1.7 / ACS 1.2

i am using it now and seems ok its a bit on the slow side but i think that has todo with my internet here at wrok i am over happy with the way it works and have not had any probs really had it fc one time but have been on it for hours and am happy...

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Oh, one plus for Firefox I forgot to mention - it is the only browser to support ntlm, so when I need to connect to my company's intranet, I have to use it....

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I started using Dolphin mini and it works the best, in my opinion, thus far. For example, I went to Sirius site, played the online player (Howard Stern 100), and went back to my home screen and the station continued to play. I've tried this with the stock browser, and everytime I left the app. the music player stopped.

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

I stopped using it when I realized that the flash plugin doesn't work with it.

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Yeah good thing its free they need to work on it. Its glitchy , pixelated, laggy, and I really don't like it. I use ff4 for my computer and I'm die hard fan of it. But on my Xoom I am going to stick with the native it works fine.

Firefox has an image scaling bug they are still working on, and no flash support right now. However, it does behave better with an AJAX webApp my company is developing so i have it installed and use it sometimes...