Anyone go from ipad -> Xoom?

anon(186357)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep...

For me, the Xoom beats my iPad. This is my first Android device period, and I have used iOS strictly since waiting in line for the first iPhone.

I gave my iPad to my wife to use for things around the house - airplay to the stereo, recipes in the kitchen, quick additions to the grocery list...

It is excellent at what it does - appealing to the broadest base of users possible. But I could not truly be productive on it. I want to IM, email, read RSS, edit docs, and keep track of a multitude of other things at the same time - and even with the multitasking bar at the bottom, it feels like a single-task device.

Here are specific things it did that made it feel like a single-tasker:

- With many things running, exiting and entering the browser effectively had to reload every tab because it couldn't keep it all in memory.

- Alerts were cumbersome, interrupting and not persistent.

- Many productivity apps would lose state when they were put in the background (suspend).

- There were many good replacement browsers for Safari - but you could never bind any of them to open links by default. So you always felt like a second class citizen using them.

- Many large productivity apps show their loading screen again to get back in when you quickly switch out and back again. I feel the lack of RAM consistently.

I enabled developer mode in OS 4.3 on the iPad so I could use swipe gestures to move between apps and get back to the homescreen without using the button. But it made all of these flaws stand out even more. Even if they upped the RAM, these gesture controls don't hold a candle to the Honeycomb task switcher or WebOS' card view. Apple's paradigm breaks down in that use case and they need a real overhaul.

For me, iOS is still the most bulletpoof, whille still super-functional OS - and I want to rely on for my smartphone. I don't need to achieve these levels of productivity in that use case. But for a tablet OS, Honeycomb wins, and the Xoom makes an excellent showcase for it.

Oh, and a bonus for me - I have gigs and gigs of photos that I just happen to use Picasa to manage. Never used the web albums though. I always used the iPad to show photos by syncing what I could - but I rarely plug it into my computer so it was always out of date. But with the Xoom, all I have to do is tell Picasa to sync what I want with web albums and they show up on the Xoom. Genius.

Can't wait to see this excellent tablet and tablet OS evolve.

kingboarder

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I fully agree.

The Xoom is also my first Android device since the first iPhone came out but I do not regret selling my iPad one bit.

Finally I'm able to really work with my tablet. Notifications don't interrupt my current work anymore and when I choose to deal with them I can do so easily from the notification area and don't have to hunt them down anymore on the home screen after I dismissed them.

I also really enjoy the true multitasking and tabbed browsing of the Xoom which no longer reloads apps and web pages whenever I switch between them.

I really hope that many apps will be ported to Honeycomb over the coming weeks but in the meantime a lot stock android apps already work - and even better than iPhone apps on iPad since they fill up the whole screen and not just run in that little box like on the iPad.

I am extremely looking forward to the Flash payer update since I never had flash on a mobile device before. I'm kinda missing HTML5 though, just because I often like to watch movie trailers on apple's homepage.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I returned my new iPad just a week before Xoom release, planning on getting Xoom tomorrow or tonight. I don't even miss my iPad, never really worked for me. Games are fun and all, but for productivity, iPad is slow and weak. Xoom is going to be my first Android device, I hope I won't be disappointed, but judging by reviews I won't be. Cannot wait.

I also never really liked the simplicity of the ipad, I always want something I can spend hours figuring out. I guess that's what us geeks want. And never been a fan of iPad's UI. It's fun for ipod and iphone, but iPad needs a specific tablet UI.

bestbuystinks

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Former iPad 32 gb 3G owner

I have owned the iPad since day one. It is an excellent consumer oriented device, but I find it lacking for business use. The Xoom addresses all of my complaints I had with the iPad. The iPad has a weak e-mail and calendar program for business use, the Safari browser is painful to use, multitasking is more like app switching, and notifications are way too simplistic. I know the iPad 2 is right around the corner, but I don't see Apple tweaking iOS all that much. I think iOS is much better suited to the iPhone.

My only beef with the Xoom is that Motorola could have sourced a higher quality display since they are charging as much as an iPad. It is quite good, but definitely a notch down from the iPad in terms of color reproduction and viewing angles. However, I suspect that Apple has cornered the market on displays and there are probably no 10.1" IPS displays available.

BTW, I am an equal opportunity gadgetohlic. My phone / tablet setup will now be the iPhone 4 and the Xoom. Overall, I am extremely satisfied w/ my purchase and can't wait till Flash and 4g come out.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Ipad for awhile and both have advantages and disadvantages for me. I think it depends on what your using it for and, what business you're doing.

The Ipad uses a app called timemaster-with billing and it is a excellent app, the best one for my business. The company that makes it only makes it for IOS and, there is nothing on the Android market anywhere near as good that I know of.

I played the same movie side by side and the Ipad's color looked better. To be fair the movies were ripped with software intended for the Ipad.

I use timeclock on my Android devices which is pretty good and, upgraded it so it's even better. The customization is what I really love about Android, along with all the Google stuff. The browser is really nice and, I agree about the notifications, I hadn't even thought of that.

A lot of things that bother people about the Ipad don't bother me so, I guess it's up to the individual and what he/she may like. I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell it or not.

I really love this tablet but, to be honest; if my Ipad had more storage; I probably wouldn't have even got it but, that gave me an excuse to get it and, I'm glad I did.

I agree with the poster before, who said he couldn't wait for the Android OS to evolve because I know it will. This is a big leap.

kerwink040

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I gave my Ipad to my roommate for a B'day present. It brings him into the 25th century and frees me from the overly priced Apple devices, apps and accessories and the headache of transferring stuff.
This is my 4th Android device. LG Ally-->D2-->DX-->Xoom. I'm a total Androidboy now.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noticed about android that makes me smile is that almost nobody uses android and then wants to go back to iOS but I see people leaving iOS for android all the time

sorry, all the XOOM love in this thread compelled me to post

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've noticed about android that makes me smile is that almost nobody uses android and then wants to go back to iOS but I see people leaving iOS for android all the time

sorry, all the XOOM love in this thread compelled me to post

I'd have to definitely second that statement. While it happens, I don't know anyone personally who has left iOS for Android and had any desire to go back. The only thing people have to look out for is staying away from those garbage low end phones that give Android a bad name. :p

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to definitely second that statement. While it happens, I don't know anyone personally who has left iOS for Android and had any desire to go back. The only thing people have to look out for is staying away from those garbage low end phones that give Android a bad name. :p

Luckily less and less of those low end androids are still around, sorta stinks that android can catch a bad rap for being open and having options when it comes to devices but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles

I like to think all thats behind us now that honeycomb is here and ice cream is on the horizon

android's future is looking exceptionally bright in my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair