activation option in settings.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
So I just bought my xoom today from costco. Digging around the settings page I've noticed that in the mobile networks part, theres an option to click activate device. Do I need to do that in order to use verizon data or would costco already have done that?

Thanks. Reason I want to know is I'm thinking about calling verizon to cancel the data plan (I bought without contract)

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
To use verizon data you do need to activate your device on the vzw network. Just a heads up though if you do cancel and am not on contract when the 4g upgrade comes out you won't get it for free. The free upgrade is only for contract holders with verizon.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I still have not seen any fine print that says you must be a contract holder to get the free upgrade, but it would seem logical. That said I assume you could always reactivate the month to month plan when the upgrade becomes available. After all the talk about how this will be upgradable for free they would be hard pressed to deny people it contract or not.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why you'd have to be on contract if motorola
is performing the upgrade.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The information was given to me and confirmed by a Verizon associate Mgr and the phone hotline. Even though motor is doing the work apparently vzw is fotting the bill or something for it. It was also mentioned last night on the podcast. Even on the month to month plan you still won't get the upgrade for free. When I asked what if I bought it outright BC I had the cash then he talked to his Mr and said they will be offering the upgrade at an extra cost to anyone without a 2 year contract. No word on pricing.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was in the fence about getring it on contact out not. I went off contract and now sort of wish I didn't.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The information was given to me and confirmed by a Verizon associate Mgr and the phone hotline. Even though motor is doing the work apparently vzw is fotting the bill or something for it. It was also mentioned last night on the podcast. Even on the month to month plan you still won't get the upgrade for free. When I asked what if I bought it outright BC I had the cash then he talked to his Mr and said they will be offering the upgrade at an extra cost to anyone without a 2 year contract. No word on pricing.

I don't care if the pope himself told you that, there is a 0% chance that's true.

If you go to the FAQs on Verizon's upgrade page they say there will be no cost. There is no asterisk or note associated with that to indicate only free for those under contract.
http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Equipment/xoom_upgrade.html

I'm sorry but its been pretty well advertised as a free upgrade with nary a word on needing to be a 2 year subscriber.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't care if the pope himself told you that, there is a 0% chance that's true.

If you go to the FAQs on Verizon's upgrade page they say there will be no cost. There is no asterisk or note associated with that to indicate only free for those under contract.
Motorola Xoom™ 3G to 4G LTE™ Upgrade FAQ

I'm sorry but its been pretty well advertised as a free upgrade with nary a word on needing to be a 2 year subscriber.

Agreed. At no point in anything official does it mention that you have to be on contract to get the 4G upgrade. I purchased the Xoom with the intention of not getting any data plan until the 4G upgrade is in place and I plan to stick to that. I won't be activating the data unti I have a 4G Xoom in my hands.

I wouldn't be suprised if the sleazy Verizon Manager was telling people that just to sell data plans since they're compensated on activations not hardware sales. On the sleazy salesman scale, retail mobile phone managers rank just below used car sales managers.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. At no point in anything official does it mention that you have to be on contract to get the 4G upgrade. I purchased the Xoom with the intention of not getting any data plan until the 4G upgrade is in place and I plan to stick to that. I won't be activating the data unti I have a 4G Xoom in my hands.

I wouldn't be suprised if the sleazy Verizon Manager was telling people that just to sell data plans since they're compensated on activations not hardware sales. On the sleazy salesman scale, retail mobile phone managers rank just below used car sales managers.

Great point on Verizon trying to sell data plans this way. I'm very very hesitant to believe anything they say for this reason. The free upgrade IS IN WRITING.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
At a vzw store, I noticEd some fine print on the price tag that said 20$ upgrade fee. It was too hectic and I had my toddler with me so I didn't have time to ask what it meant. Anybody know?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995