Off contract xoom LTE upgrades- does Verizon know if we'll be charged?

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's an excerpt from my recent chat with a VZN sales rep:

You: Ok, one more question- this device comes with a 4g upgrade. Will I need to pay an additional fee for this upgrade if I am not on contract?

Suzanne: I do understand that there will be some upgrades, however, at this time I do not have the information if there will be additional fees. My apologies this information is not yet available.

You: That's ok, thank you for your help

Suzanne: My pleasure to try to help. Is there something else that maybe, I may try to help you with or do you have any other questions for me today?

It sounds like sales reps don't know whether or not the LTE upgrade is free for non-contract users. Anybody else here anything about this?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It looks like people have been told both. I don't believe that it was in writing anywhere that the upgrade had to be paid for.

IMO, contract or no contract, it shouldn't matter since Motorola is doing the upgrade, not VZW.

EDIT:

From http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Equipment/xoom_upgrade.html

How much will it cost to upgrade my Motorola Xoom™ from 3G to 4G LTE™?

There is no additional cost for the 4G LTE upgrade.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I did notice at the VZW store that you will have to pay a $20 "upgrade fee" in addition to the ETM if you cancel your service after buying a xoom on contract.

Natai

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Everything I've read or verizon people I've talked to says there will be no charge for LTE upgrade, including shipping. Also, employee at verizon store said she didn't think there would be any change in monthly charge from 3g to 4g. She pointed out that the current wireless LTE rates are identical to the 3g rates for the Xoom currently.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk