myverizon sign up?

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the my Verizon app for tablets on my xoom and I tried signing up for it then it said it was sending me a text message with temporary password but idk how to view the message. Is there any other way to sign up?

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
you're going to have to call them and pray you get someone competent enough to handle the problem... they'll have to generate the password for you and send it via snail mail. takes a couple of days.

I had to speak to 3 different people in order for that to happen for me. The first 2 (not even joking here) told me I needed to download vz access manager and install it on my xoom.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I would first go to the verizon website and sign up there. If you are on contract you will need to watch your data usage.

The app works pretty good.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with the app and web site. Its pretty ironic, you buy the latest device and have to wait for a letter in the mail to check your usage.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I found that if you are currently connected to Wifi it will ask you for a username and password, but if you are connected through 3G than it will show you your consumption without having to log in. It still won't let you do more advanced account changes and the like without first logging in though.

edit: I was playing around with this more, and it seems that you have to restart with wifi off for it to work. As soon as you turn wifi back on the app defaults into asking for user name and pass.

Last edited:

mrnserv

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Same problem...2 tech support reps, first suggested using the Android App to view minutes and see account..."Oh, I guess your right, without the password you can't do that". "OK, download VZ Access Manager and you can get texts through a tab on that". Ok, but I will need a password for that too. "No, I don't think so, just your phone number of the device and you can sign up.". NEXT tech person...maybe we can send you an email....checks with other tech..."No, text or postal mail only" Then he suggests VZ Access Manager too. OK, lets try that. Which version and for which device? "android" No, no selection for that..."OK, you have a notebook?" Yes, so Windows 7, but it wants a device and there is no Xoom under any of these options and Xoom doesn't connect using computer so I don't think this will work..."Yes, guess we will have to send you password in the mail"

Stopped in at Verizon store today and rep tried to see if he could get it, even tried to send text to my AT&T phone but system rejected that. Said could set up Verizon phone account and get password and immediately cancel phone, but wasn't wanting to go through all that and risk some other billing screw up or charge.

Will have to wait the 5 days or so for letter in mail. Such a high tech device with instant communication options and from a wireless communications company and you have to rely on postal mail to get online and access account!?!?!? Activation and account set-up on iPad and Galaxy Tab were quick and easy online and with email through AT&T, not sure why Verizon had to make so complicated.

you're going to have to call them and pray you get someone competent enough to handle the problem... they'll have to generate the password for you and send it via snail mail. takes a couple of days.

I had to speak to 3 different people in order for that to happen for me. The first 2 (not even joking here) told me I needed to download vz access manager and install it on my xoom.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So I just called to get my password from Verizon. It seems to be a well known issue now (the lady told me she have already received a few calls about it). It took all of 5 minutes for her to send me the password through mail. So although its still snail mail, at least now you don't have to waste 30+ minutes on the phone with them.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue but before I called Verizon I found an app in the market that keeps track of data usage. Is this not a good solution? I thought it was but now that I read this thread an no one else has gone this route I'm starting to wonder if I need the Verizon app to be accurate.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue but before I called Verizon I found an app in the market that keeps track of data usage. Is this not a good solution? I thought it was but now that I read this thread an no one else has gone this route I'm starting to wonder if I need the Verizon app to be accurate.

It's a great solution, the problem is if you are on wifi it requires that you type in a password. You know... the password we don't have and can't get.

So for the time being the workaround is to start the Xoom with wifi disabled and while using 3G open the app and it will work.

edit: Oh you are talking about a 3rd party app. Ya those run in the background (ie use battery) to get you a decent estimate of the data you have used. But the Verizon app is so much more convenient and accurate. Their tally is what matters at the end of the month when it comes time for them to decide whether or not to charge you for overages.

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay so it was telling me that because I was connected to wifi that I had to enter my user name and password so I deleted it then redownloaded it and turned my xoom off then back on and it let me get into the app without asking for info.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a great solution, the problem is if you are on wifi it requires that you type in a password. You know... the password we don't have and can't get.

So for the time being the workaround is to start the Xoom with wifi disabled and while using 3G open the app and it will work.
No man I mean a third party app.

Here is a link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&feature=search_result

It has a widget that keeps track of 3G data and wifi data, both sent and received. Just wondering if this is as accurate as the Verizon application. So far it *seems* to be dead on, but I'm wondering if it's best to use the Verizon app to be safe rather than sorry.;)

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So, they are sending your password through the mail?

The tech asked me over the phone what I wanted my pass to be, temp of course, and I was done.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was told they'd mail me the password...snail mail....

"like, on a piece of paper..... in an envelope...with a stamp?" I asked

"yes sir" she responded.

"Cancel my account then please." I replied

"Yes sir" she retorted

"Thanks" I cheerfully offered.

"No problem sir, anything else I can help you with?" She asked

"Nope. Have a super day" I said

"You too" she said as she hung up.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I was told they'd mail me the password...snail mail....

"like, on a piece of paper..... in an envelope...with a stamp?" I asked

"yes sir" she responded.

"Cancel my account then please." I replied

"Yes sir" she retorted

"Thanks" I cheerfully offered.

"No problem sir, anything else I can help you with?" She asked

"Nope. Have a super day" I said

"You too" she said as she hung up.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I just finished doing. I just couldn't justify keeping it. After testing that data counter I used like 100MB just messing around it. It was then I realized just how fast this tablet will blow thru 1 gig, and what a waste of twenty bucks it really is.

I'll just have to use my Nexus as a wifi hotspot(unlimited data on AT&T) when out and about with the Xoom.

They were extremely friendly though and I hope Verizon still has that unlimited data plan when the Thunderbolt comes out and I'll end up a Verizon customer anyway. :)

wireless_peon

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This is a joke right? Someone in verizon didn't think through this? I'm being transfered to tech support because my device won't receive text messages. I can't make this stuff up!

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
it gets worse folks!!

hey, it gets worse. I am now on my third attempt to get a password. seems their password system has a problem with generating invalid passowrds. Each time the response is 'sorry sir, but we will have to mail you a new password'. :mad:

I asked tech support at what point point do they come up with an alternate solution? her response... 'I see your point sir. '

If this fails one more time and they offer to send me another snail mail I'm going to take the zoom back and get an iPod. :-!

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
hey, it gets worse. I am now on my third attempt to get a password. seems their password system has a problem with generating invalid passowrds. Each time the response is 'sorry sir, but we will have to mail you a new password'. :mad:

I asked tech support at what point point do they come up with an alternate solution? her response... 'I see your point sir. '

If this fails one more time and they offer to send me another snail mail I'm going to take the zoom back and get an iPod. :-!

My first two temporary passwords were incorrect as well, I'm going to verizon tomorrow to sort something out. I'm going to try to get something figured out but if they give me this run around B.S. I'm just gonna say look, either get me my password or you can terminate my account AND waive the ETF.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
This is a joke right? Someone in verizon didn't think through this? I'm being transfered to tech support because my device won't receive text messages. I can't make this stuff up!
I had that problem also, i was using the myverizonwireless app and it shows that I have 5 text mrssages and was being charged per message! I found out that we can't send/receive texts on the Xoom and called in. They connected me to tech support and he was able to block all text messages and refund the charges.(if any)
He mentioned that voice/data will no longer be separate in 4g. Hopefully that means we may be able to text then.
But the good thing is, he referenced Androidcentral and told me about the thread on Google voice on Xoom. He had good taste in forums!!!!!

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't call customer service. Call e services at 1800 350 2830. After they ask for your mtn you will go straight to a Rep. They should be able to help and handle all myverizon stuff better.