HDMI for audio only?

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I would like to connect my Xoom to my car audio but I do not want to use the headphone jack.

I am working on an install like this:
YouTube - iPad installation in Toyota Prius

With the Xoom all the ports are on the bottom when in landscape mode, except for the headphone jack. For my install the tablet will be used in the landscape orientation, but due to the location of the ports on the Xoom it will be inserted into the 'dock' from the top as opposed to the side like you see in the video.

I'd like both the power & audio to be automatically connected once the Xoom is docked.

To do this I need to get audio out of a port on the bottom.. either usb or hdmi.

It must be possible to get audio out of hdmi because the Motorola stereo dock uses hdmi (Motorola Xoom Speaker HD Dock: Hands On - Motorola Speaker HD Dock (left) Standard Dock (right) - Slideshow from PCMag.com)

My question is ultimately how would I take hdmi and get the audio out via RCA or even 1/8".

Also can anyone confirm audio is available when playing via the default music app?

I've heard on some devices the hdmi is only active during Gallery or Video apps. However I doubt this is the case with the zoom due to that stereo dock they sell.

Thanks
B

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I have used the hdmi on my tv with optical out to my stereo and even when
I am using rock player to watch a movie it works fine. So I would think it should work with music as we'll. As soon as I am done watching salt I will check music for you.

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Its good to know the audio comes out of the HDMI. Thanks for confirming that.

Now how would I connect the HDMI to a car stereo? I have RCA & 1/8th inputs to the car stereo. My understanding of HDMI is the signal (both video and audio) is digital so I can't imagine a simple HDMI -> RCA cord would work since the signal needs to be analog to be input to my car audio.

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
On another forum a guy told me the standard dock(which only has USB & Power... no hdmi) has an audio out port and he's confirmed it works.

So it sounds like the audio is available via usb.

I still need to figure out the wire I need to use, but I've seen a number of micro usb to audio adapters. Not sure if they work with the Xoom...

Worst case scenario since I have a guy doing custom fabrication to mount the thing in the dash I can probably buy the standard dock and he can just build that into the installation.

Still curious about the HDMI cable.

Thanks
B

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Its good to know the audio comes out of the HDMI. Thanks for confirming that.

Now how would I connect the HDMI to a car stereo? I have RCA & 1/8th inputs to the car stereo. My understanding of HDMI is the signal (both video and audio) is digital so I can't imagine a simple HDMI -> RCA cord would work since the signal needs to be analog to be input to my car audio.

I have seen an HDMI Audio De-embedder by Extron Electronics: HAE 100. It takes in HDMI, and then splits the signals. Video is passed through HDMI and audio is passed through spdif coax or bal/unbal captive screw (which can be adapted to RCA).

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have seen an HDMI Audio De-embedder by Extron Electronics: HAE 100. It takes in HDMI, and then splits the signals. Video is passed through HDMI and audio is passed through spdif coax or bal/unbal captive screw (which can be adapted to RCA).

Thanks I figured it wouldnt be very straightforward to 'extract' audio from hdmi.

Looks like USB is the way to go. I'l just going to find an adapter (Verizon store?) and see if it works.

Thanks for all the help.

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that on the iPad when you use audio via USB the software volume control is disabled.

Is this true on the Xoom?

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of another question.

If I use USB for audio then there is no way I'll ever be able to attach external storage.

I know the Xoom doesn't currently support flash drives, but ideally I want to store all my media on a 128gb thumb drive that would attach via USB.

Given that, I'd like my car installation to support both usb audio and usb storage. Is there a wire that would expose both?

I recall having one of these with my motorola q (but this cord isn't micro):
http://m2.sourcingmap.com/smapimg/e...litter-for-htc-touch-diamond-p3700-22347n.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer