Motorola Xoom Hints/Tricks/Tips/Information...

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Would like to put a thread together to help navigate around your Xoom and help you be a little more productive.... I will add more thing as I find them. Also what ever you find post them and I will update the post. I will go through some other threads and update this one with anything else I can find.(I do not take credit for all of these finds, I put this together to make a one stop thread for tips etc etc...)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/86445-xoom-audio-video-faq.html

Browser:
-If your Browsing a page and you are not at the top but want to bring up the tool/Refresh/Back/forward buttons, click the on the tab you are currently on, careful not to hit the X.

-Push and hold the back button on the botom bar while in the browser it brings up the browser history and bookmarks window.

-Here are the steps to make Honeycomb's browser load the Desktop version of sites rather then the mobile one.

1. Open the Android Honeycomb browser on your tablet.

2. In the address bar, type: about:debug and press enter.

3. Now open the browser's settings by tapping the icon in the very top-right corner of your screen (it looks like four horizontal lines) and selecting "Settings" from the drop-down menu that appears.

4. On the left side of the screen, tap the section labeled "Debug."

5. On the right side of the screen, tap the item labeled "UAString," then select "Desktop."

6. Press the back button (in the very bottom-left corner of your screen) to exit the browser's settings.

7. In the browser's address bar, type: about:debug once more; this will disable debugging mode and return the browser to its normal state. [Optional] If you do this step you will need to redo this step every time to enable Desktop Browsing.

-There's a tab button on the keyboard now. Works on web-forms (though not necessarily on in-app forms) to skip to the next input field, like on a desktop or laptop.

-You can enable an experimental UI in the browser without hacking. Simply go to the menu and go to Labs. The experimental UI gets rid of the controls bar at the top and makes it appear as a radial menu when you swipe on the edge of the browser.

- If you zoom into a spot on the webpage with pinch to zoom, you can double tap (after you zoom in) and it will fit the text to the screen.

Adding widgets:
Instead of just dragging the widget to the window of choice, Hover over the window and it will bring all of the windows forward and give you kind of a snapshot, and give you a more precise idea of where you want it on the window.

Adding a app shortcut:
When in the App drawer if you want to bring an app shortcut to a home page jus hold the app of choice that you want. The windows will pop up and you can choose and drag which one you want it in.

Memory/MicroSD
-The microSD port and the LTE SIM card port are the same port. One goes on top of the other.

Home Screens
-No need to swipe to switch screens just tap the sides of the screen and it will move.

Lock Screen
-On the lock screen tap the lock then tap outside the circle, this will unlock the device. (do this instead of swiping the lock)

Charging LED
-From what I have noticed with mine and a friend's, this light will only come on when the device is turned off

Market Place
-If you go to the Market and click on My Apps and then click the options/settings button in the top right corner of the screen you can disable the auto adding newly downloaded apps to the home screen.

Force Reboot the Device
-Hold the Volume up and Power button on the back at the same time to force a reboot.

Vibrate
-The Xoom does not have and Vibrate Features.

Last edited:

wagedomain

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
-There's a tab button on the keyboard now. Works on web-forms (though not necessarily on in-app forms) to skip to the next input field, like on a desktop or laptop.

-You can enable an experimental UI in the browser without hacking. Simply go to the menu and go to Labs. The experimental UI gets rid of the controls bar at the top and makes it appear as a radial menu when you swipe on the edge of the browser.

-The microSD port and the LTE SIM card port are the same port. One goes on top of the other.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
- If you zoom into a spot on the webpage with pinch to zoom, you can double tap (after you zoom in) and it will fit the text to the screen. I love that one :)

Reactions: lynned63

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
No need to swipe to switch screens just tap the sides of the screen and it will move.

On the lock screen tap the lock then tap outside the circle. No need to swipe. All I can think of now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been watching YouTube videos of the various Honeycomb tablets and there was an interesting demo on the Samsung Tab 10 adding apps to the homescreens. I was just wondering if the implementation was the same on the Xoom?

They pulled up the preview view where you add widgets/apps etc. and after dragging one widget or app to the desired screen (making that screen highlighted) they just tapped on a number of apps and they all were instantly added to the highlighted home screen (if that makes sense). It made populating the screen with apps really quick. Most reviews showed each app being dragged one at a time so makes me wonder if this is a feature across Honeycomb implementations or if the manufacturers have slightly different OS builds at the moment in terms of implementation.

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been watching YouTube videos of the various Honeycomb tablets and there was an interesting demo on the Samsung Tab 10 adding apps to the homescreens. I was just wondering if the implementation was the same on the Xoom?

They pulled up the preview view where you add widgets/apps etc. and after dragging one widget or app to the desired screen (making that screen highlighted) they just tapped on a number of apps and they all were instantly added to the highlighted home screen (if that makes sense). It made populating the screen with apps really quick. Most reviews showed each app being dragged one at a time so makes me wonder if this is a feature across Honeycomb implementations or if the manufacturers have slightly different OS builds at the moment in terms of implementation.

Yes you are able to do that with the Xoom

earlyxoomer

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
so, i got a notification down near the clock that said updates available. I dismissed it as i was in the middle of something. Now how do i find out what updates are available? where do i look?

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, same question, how do i know what app now needs updating, and will they automatically update if I did not select that option?

In the Market if an app needs updating it will show a spot that says updates and will have the apps in there. It will not auto update unless you chose it to do so.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Lots of great info here! A couple of volume tidbits I'm not sure if people know ...

Fast Mute All Sound: Press Volume Up or Down to bring up the graphic slider for volume. Tap the speaker icon at the left. This will mute main volume plus notification volume. To unmute, just press VOL UP or DOWN again.

Fast Access to Adjust Notification Volume: Press Volume Up or Down to bring up the graphic slider for volume. Tap the Settings icon at the right. This displays the notification volume slider below the normal volume slider.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Home Screens
-No need to swipe to switch screens just tap the sides of the screen and it will move.
This convenient "flip screen" method only works for me in landscape mode. In portrait mode you still unfortunately have to flick across the screen to flip them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith