slingbox questions

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
So I am looking into getting a slingbox so I can stream TV to my xoom. I have a few questions though. I was looking through the FAQ on the slingbox site and found that there are minimum PC and Mac reqirements. My Mac does not meet the processor or ram requirements. Does this mean I can't run sling box at all? The only thing I read that requires the use of the computer is to configure the slingbox. To do this requires these specs seems like overkill. Or are the specs if you want to stream full HD to your computer? I can't seem to figure this out. What roll does the computer play in the streaming process besides initial set up? Thanks for any help.

forkball316

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You're only going to get full HD from the slingbox stream if the device your watching it on is capable of displaying full HD. I've owned a slingbox pro for several years now and have it hooked up to a 1080p HDTV, but have only watched slingbox on my phones or laptop. Neither of which is capable of displaying an HD picture. I can't imagine any computer not being able to stream a sling connection as long as your bandwith speed is fast enough. I used to sling live sports on my old Palm Treo and I'm pretty sure your computer is more powerful than that old phone.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
If you're gonna only watch live tv on the xoom, you don't need to worry about the pc requirements.

Like you said, the pc is only used to setup the box. However, I do not know if slingplayer works on the xoom yet. I'll give it a try.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The slingbox does work on the xoom. When the launch page loads the text is a little low res, because it isn't fully optimized, but I've had no issue running it on the xoom. The picture quality is pretty comparable to other devices I've used it on. It really depends on the connection speeds.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're gonna only watch live tv on the xoom, you don't need to worry about the pc requirements.

Like you said, the pc is only used to setup the box. However, I do not know if slingplayer works on the xoom yet. I'll give it a try.

Cool that's what I figured. I have FIOS 25/15 but the quality at the end all depends on the current download speed of the wifi or 3g the xoom is on?

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe so, but I've actually had pretty good luck with the 3g, but I'm afraid to use it too much because I'm not sure how much data it uses.

pdizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Whichever (upload/download) is the smaller capacity is what you will be limited to. 15 Mb outbound capacity will produuce a great looking picture over wi-fi (assuming the hotspot backbone isn't sturated with traffic), but generally 3g won't look that great no matter if you had 1 mb or 15mb outbound at home. Now when you get 4G it will look as good as the wi-fi if not better.

skubiszm

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope that Sling doesn't come out with a Tablet only app which costs another $30. That's that's they did for the iPad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I hope that Sling doesn't come out with a Tablet only app which costs another $30. That's that's they did for the iPad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I put my Droid X Slingbox app on my Xoom without any additional charge and the slingbox looks great on my Xoom. I cannot imagine a tablet only app would do anything so much better that it would be worth another $30. So even if they did I would not get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol