Xoom Cannot See Wifi Tether on Droid

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I was trying to tether my Xoom to my Droid 1 (use the internet on the Droid 1). My OG Droid is rooted and I ran Wifi Tether. The Xoom scanned and scanned, but never found "AndroidTether". I tried my iPod Touch and laptop, and both could see the "AndroidTether" and connect.

Has anyone else been able to use Wifi Tether on a phone to connect a Xoom? I am having more than a few wifi issues on my Xoom and I am trying to determine if I have a lemon or if I am just doing something wrong. I suspect I have a lemon, but want to see what others are experiencing.

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I set mine up to tether to my rooted Droid Pro, it connected without any issues. My xoom is on the data plan too, however I am using wifi at home. I think its much faster than the 3G plan, plus 1gig a month is not that much data.

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I haven't tried this yet, but I believe the issue is the fact that the D1 will only broadcast in adhoc mode and Android will only work in Infrastructure Mode. The Itouch and computers will work with the adhoc mode of wifi tether.

Some Android phones with different chip sets can tether in infrastructure mode, but this is a limitation of the OG droid chip set.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I haven't tried this yet, but I believe the issue is the fact that the D1 will only broadcast in adhoc mode and Android will only work in Infrastructure Mode. The Itouch and computers will work with the adhoc mode of wifi tether.

Some Android phones with different chip sets can tether in infrastructure mode, but this is a limitation of the OG droid chip set.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Interesting. This is the first I have heard this, but it makes sense. I have used Wifi Tether to connect several devices (iPod, iPad, laptops, PS3, etc.) without issue, but none of those were Android to Android connections.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
can anyone confirm if the evo works?

Haven't done a ton of experimenting as I opted for a data plan, but my Xoom was able to connect to my rooted EVO via wifi tether if I didn't use encryption. As soon as I put on some access controls, it wasn't able to obtain IP.

I didn't try all possible options, but that's okay by me as the EVO is access-limited by range (not made to be a wifi router so it's working range is ~15 feet).

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to tether my Xoom to my Droid 1 (use the internet on the Droid 1). My OG Droid is rooted and I ran Wifi Tether. The Xoom scanned and scanned, but never found "AndroidTether". I tried my iPod Touch and laptop, and both could see the "AndroidTether" and connect.

I am experiencing this same issue trying to have my Xoom tether to my Samsung Epic 4G. Do I need to tether via bluetooth or is there an app I can use?

Mar 31, 2010
www.brandongoodman.com
no bluetooth either?!

Thanks. I tried that, but I have an OG Droid, which does not seems to work based on what I have found and other have confirmed.

Are you saying you cannot tether to the D1 over bluetooth? I also have a rooted D1 that currently tethers my WiFi only iPad. I was planning to get WiFi only Xoom when it comes out and use it the same way. However, if its not possible to tether over WiFi or Bluetooth, I may just have to go for the $800 celluar xoom thats already out :(

Mar 31, 2010
www.brandongoodman.com
Are you saying you cannot tether to the D1 over bluetooth? I also have a rooted D1 that currently tethers my WiFi only iPad. I was planning to get WiFi only Xoom when it comes out and use it the same way. However, if its not possible to tether over WiFi or Bluetooth, I may just have to go for the $800 celluar xoom thats already out :(

I just wanted to post a followup. I was able to connect my rooted Droid 1 to my Windows 7 desktop over bluetooth PAN using "Wireless Tether". I had a hell of a time trying to get Bluetooth tether going over PDAnet using the DUN profile. Can anyone confirm whether or not the Xoom will connect to a bluetooth PAN? If so, I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work with my setup.

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Android cannot connect to adhoc wireless networks. The wifi chip on the OG Droid does not support the ability to create a more complex, infrastructure network wifi connection. The Xoom can only connect to an infrastructure wifi network, which means wifi tether from the OG Droid to the Xoom is not possible the way you are used to tethering your iPad (I do the same thing with my wife's iPad). It still possible to tether with the OG Droid. Droid Life explains it for us.

How to: Bluetooth Tether to Motorola XOOM Using Original DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The wifi only model will have bluetooth, so the method described in the post should work just fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney