Would you buy the Xoom again?

crbuckn2

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the input... i played with one and had the original droid for some time, so i do love the unskinned android experience.

hows the productivity on it? i would love to use it to take notes on in meetings and edit documents or spreadsheets on the go.

also, i dont think this has been answered yet, but will the xoom be world capable after the 4g upgrade?

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
There is a 14 day return policy... and it hasn't been out for 14 days. So anyone who wouldn't buy it again would most likely return it.

Your question should be.. has anyone returned their Xoom :)

Its a cool device. I got it to mount in a car via custom fabrication(like so:YouTube - iPad installation in Toyota Prius) to replace my current car computer(WindowsXP with a front end UI suitable for touchscreen + driving).

If I were not mounting it in the car I don't think a 10" tablet would be for me. A netbook would make more sense. Cheaper and more productive with a keyboard. I honestly don't understand the appeal of 10" tablets(7" are much more portable) when compared to a netbook. I'm not saying a benefit doesn't exist, I just don't understand it given my lifestyle & usage.

Pros vs netbook: Instant on. Better software + UI. Apps. GPS(But I dont see usefulness unless you have a car mount and most are very ugly). Maybe battery life.. I'm not sure what the latest netbooks offer for battery?

I personally think 10" is kind of a clumsy size. It doesn't feel right unless laid down on a table & even then using it encourages bad posture which is noticeable over an short but extended period of time (30 minutes).

I say give it a try for the 14 days, there is a good chance you'll love it.

Oh another note is I think a data plan is essential.. Connectivity is like 75% of the fun. I got a 5gb plan but may downgrade, I dont see using that much. I just web browse, e-mail, and stream music(Pandora). Occasional youtube. Its been 3 days and I'm at like 200MB & the majority of that data was the device auto downloading the apps I have on my droid.

Reactions: crbuckn2

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, for sure. I have been basically bed-ridden for the last two days and having the XOOM has been awesome. I don't have to lug around my huge Macbook Pro with 3 hour battery life! I would absolutely buy this thing again...I can't wait to get better and be able to use it on my commute.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I was the first person in line for mine. I will say at first I had to give very hard consideration to it over a laptop or net book. But considering batt life for most laptops is 2.5 hours and 4 to 5 hours for most netbooks. The 10 hour batt life makes it worth the price. The always connected feature you have air cards that do the same for all devices so personal choice there. As for productivity this is subjective since things like quick office and others are not out yet, as far as programs go. The OS makes this feel more like a laptop or netbook than it does an oversized phone and that makes it feel you are able to do more with it. I will add when I got my X I thought the same thing it is powerful and I would be able to do a lot with it. I could but I relized after a while it was slower than if I had my laptop. So far with this I have not felt a need to even pick up my laptop so time will tell.

I use my xoom for notes calculations and keeping me informed. It is a lot more friendly than needing to lug around a laptop.

As for using it over any of the compitition I really can not say. This is my first real experiance with this form factor. Except my X if you want to say it is considered a tablet.

Bottom line would I buy my zoom again. In a heart beat even after hearing about the stats of the Ipad 2 and the playbook and other devices out there.

Averhoeven

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that was a bit of a hmmm was whether Apple would put anything new and interesting in their tablet. They didn't and so now the Zoom is, functionality wise, far and away the better choice. I'm thrilled with it and even more so now that I know what all the competition holds.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that was a bit of a hmmm was whether Apple would put anything new and interesting in their tablet. They didn't and so now the Zoom is, functionality wise, far and away the better choice. I'm thrilled with it and even more so now that I know what all the competition holds.
Exactly, I bought my Xoom knowing an announcement from Apple was coming and that I might return it...but Apple's event today was a whole lot of nothing for me. The Xoom with native google apps(Gmail. Maps, etc) kills the ipad, imo.

kingboarder

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope....I retuned mine and will get an iPad 2.

I like the Honeycomb UI but the lack of Apps (Hulu, Netflix, Office,....) paired with the obvious beta status of the OS (frequent crashes and freezes) weren't for me.