Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Farewell Xoom

*Let's keep this civil please, it's all based on personal preference*

Well, I just came back from Best Buy. Returned the Xoom. Funny BB Mobile guy said shortly after the Ipad 2 announcement he got a few calls on the Xoom return policy. We actually both had a laugh.

I was honest with him when he asked why I was returning it. iPad 2.

Here is my take on it. I LOVE the Xoom, I really do. It does SO friggin much but at the end of the day I would do what my friend down in LA was doing. I asked myself what I was doing on the Xoom that I wasnt doing on the iPad and if the cost made sense. And after serious thought, it didnt make sense.

2 weeks ago I had a 16GB wifi only iPad that I took everywhere with me. I did everything on it. I browsed, I read books, I had it setup in the back seat for my son to watch movies while on car trips, I used the countless apps available, Netflix, music, etc. Used the thing to its full advantage.

Then I caught wind of the Xoom, the price was high, yes but I love Android too and thought why the hell not. I had a nice tax return and some extra cash to spend.

After a few days I was starting to realize that for ME, the difference in my usage between the 2 just wansnt that different. And truth be told, the cost just wasnt worth it to me in the end.

I can do the same on the iPad 2 (FOR MY PURPOSES) for less money. Granted I am grabbing the 3G version but at 629, its easier on the wallet.

I will miss you Xoom. I really will
    Thanked by:
    erzhik 

Fair enough, but the xoom is technically $29 cheaper if you sign a contract for the Xoom and pay for 2 years of data for the ipad right?

And some lucky people were able to get it for $600 without contract...would you have kept it if you got it for $600?

Like you said, it all comes down to personal preference. I had an iPad and it didn't make sense for what I wanted to use it for, especially since I already have an iPhone. I was going to wait until the Wi-Fi only Xoom was released but I was able to capitalize on Moto's 25% off coupon so that was the deciding factor.

Am I sure I'm going to love the Xoom? No, not really, but I figure that in the worst case scenario I'll be able to break even. I'm still very curious about Moto's 7" tablet and the Blackberry PlayBook. It's all about what just works for you.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

If I had jumped in on the 600 dollar deal then I would have kept it FOR SURE. I asked myself that very same question.

Like I said though and many others too. The sticker price just didnt do it for me after getting some REAL use out of the thing. I actually feel a bit sad now not being able to reach for my Xoom.

And I didnt want a contract. I like being able to jump around
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Scout_313 View Post
    Am I sure I'm going to love the Xoom? No, not really, but I figure that in the worst case scenario I'll be able to break even. I'm still very curious about Moto's 7" tablet and the Blackberry PlayBook. It's all about what just works for you.
    Exactly. Regarding the Blackberry Playbook, I really have a gut feeling that it's going to fail. I hope I am wrong but I just am VERY unsure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    Exactly. Regarding the Blackberry Playbook, I really have a gut feeling that it's going to fail. I hope I am wrong but I just am VERY unsure about it.
    the bezel on that thing is hideous lol

*Let's keep this civil please, it's all based on personal preference*

Well, I just came back from Best Buy. Returned the Xoom. Funny BB Mobile guy said shortly after the Ipad 2 announcement he got a few calls on the Xoom return policy. We actually both had a laugh.

I was honest with him when he asked why I was returning it. iPad 2.

Here is my take on it. I LOVE the Xoom, I really do. It does SO friggin much but at the end of the day I would do what my friend down in LA was doing. I asked myself what I was doing on the Xoom that I wasnt doing on the iPad and if the cost made sense. And after serious thought, it didnt make sense.

2 weeks ago I had a 16GB wifi only iPad that I took everywhere with me. I did everything on it. I browsed, I read books, I had it setup in the back seat for my son to watch movies while on car trips, I used the countless apps available, Netflix, music, etc. Used the thing to its full advantage.

Then I caught wind of the Xoom, the price was high, yes but I love Android too and thought why the hell not. I had a nice tax return and some extra cash to spend.

After a few days I was starting to realize that for ME, the difference in my usage between the 2 just wansnt that different. And truth be told, the cost just wasnt worth it to me in the end.

I can do the same on the iPad 2 (FOR MY PURPOSES) for less money. Granted I am grabbing the 3G version but at 629, its easier on the wallet.

I will miss you Xoom. I really will
    I said for nearly 2 weeks that the Xoom was overpriced and you railed on me. I still agree it was overpriced, and I am glad you finally agree with me!

By the way I love my Xoom, but need it to get the SD Slot, Flash and 4G going on it ASAP!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by cparker5 View Post
    I said for nearly 2 weeks that the Xoom was overpriced and you railed on me. I still agree it was overpriced, and I am glad you finally agree with me!

By the way I love my Xoom, but need it to get the SD Slot, Flash and 4G going on it ASAP!
    My problem was not the price issue when it came to your posts. If I used the Xoom beyond what I was then I would have felt confident with the price, still high, but I would have held onto it. But I can do the same on the iPad for cheaper and get newer features (the video camera being the most important for the grandparents).

ROM
    Rooted, stock, or CM7

And Netflix. Definitely needs NF.

My problem was not the price issue when it came to your posts. If I used the Xoom beyond what I was then I would have felt confident with the price, still high, but I would have held onto it. But I can do the same on the iPad for cheaper and get newer features (the video camera being the most important for the grandparents).
    You have already said you would have kept it if you were one of the 25% off people.

That told me all I needed to know.

Bold move to overprice a tab in the same market where the ipad exists.

And its kinda rushed to market too. Too many promised features. Apple generally doesn't make mistakes like that.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

You have already said you would have kept it if you were one of the 25% off people.

That told me all I needed to know.
    Right, because I feel like 600 dollars is of a reasonable price to pay for MY PERSONAL usage.

If flash really mattered to me, expandable storage, etc, is there were an absolute must, like I know it is for many others, then I agree with the price range. I can still find it a bit high but I can agree that that is what we must pay to have such features on a brand new, first the the market Honeycomb device. But at the end of the day those things, amongst others, arent that important to me. I got along fine without them on the iPad.
    Last edited by Xm_jdm; 03-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.

ROM
    Cyanogen Mod 7

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post

And its kinda rushed to market too. Too many promised features. Apple generally doesn't make mistakes like that.
    Exactly the reason it will fail. Moto wanted to be the first to the market with a 4g honeycomb tab and they were (minus the 4g). sad that if you want this device to work to its full potential you have to send it in for an upgrade. I am considering the ipad 2 but do like the xoom as a device. there is no purpose for me to have 3g or eventually 4g on my tab so i will wait for a wifi only. Once again apple shows why they rule the tab market, maybe samsung can get it right

Right, because I feel like 600 dollars is of a reasonable price to pay for MY PERSONAL usage.
    Right and I thought that $799.99 was too much for the average user to pay for their usage. Epsecially when many of the features were not there upon release.

My complaints were the lack of the features on release and the price. It upset you that I was talking bad about the Xoom. But now you return yours because the features and you would have kept it if the price was lower.

I totally agree with your stance, even if it did take you 2-3 weeks to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by ckrenek23 View Post
    Exactly the reason it will fail. Moto wanted to be the first to the market with a 4g honeycomb tab and they were (minus the 4g). sad that if you want this device to work to its full potential you have to send it in for an upgrade. I am considering the ipad 2 but do like the xoom as a device. there is no purpose for me to have 3g or eventually 4g on my tab so i will wait for a wifi only. Once again apple shows why they rule the tab market, maybe samsung can get it right
    apple pulls the same crap, if you want the iphone 4 to work to its full potential You have to buy a case so you dont drop signal. at least they are offering as a FREE upgrade. The ONLY thing that ipad has on the Xoom is Price which isnt too big of a difference to the comparable ipad 2 and apps, which in a months time will increase significantly.

It also still needs an anyconnect VPN client from cisco. This may cause me to sell my Xoom I got with the 25% off.

I have the Xoom doing most of what I need it to do, but the VPN issue has me teetering on the birng of an iPad2 despite the fact I think the Xoom may be the long term better product. I need to be able to connect to my work computer, and currently cant with my Xoom.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Right and I thought that $799.99 was too much for the average user to pay for their usage. Epsecially when many of the features were not there upon release.

My complaints were the lack of the features on release and the price. It upset you that I was talking bad about the Xoom. But now you return yours because the features and you would have kept it if the price was lower.

I totally agree with your stance, even if it did take you 2-3 weeks to catch up.

I really thought that I would take it one step ahead and go beyond what I could do on an iPad 2. Turns out I was wrong. I like to give usage a price figure and the 800 dollar price didn't match my usage level. And I didn't have a problem with you talking negatively about the Xoom, there are plenty of other people here who had gripes with it before launch. You poo-poo'd it and complained about things before you had one in hands. I know the Xoom is an excellent device even with the shortcomings, and I gave it a fair chance from the begining. I am moving on now...

I really thought that I would take it one step ahead and go beyond what I could do on an iPad 2. Turns out I was wrong. I like to give usage a price figure and the 800 dollar price didn't match my usage level.
    Which is what I said would be the end result of the $800 pricetag.

And I didn't have a problem with you talking negatively about the Xoom, there are plenty of other people here who had gripes with it before launch. You poo-poo'd it and complained about things before you had one in hands.
    And instead of listening to my warning you took them as an assult of the toy you wanted and bashed me for it. Some of us have been through these types of releases before and can properly gauge the public's response to things like this. Steve Jobs for example is amazing at this.

I know the Xoom is an excellent device even with the shortcomings, and I gave it a fair chance from the begining. I am moving on now...
    I gave it a fair chance to, but went into it know what I was getting and that the price point was something I could live with. Though openly admitting that the general public would have a hard tiem with it.

Here's a better question: if the iPad was good enough, what in the hell makes the iPad 2 worth paying another $600+ for? The iPad clearly isn't too slow, and the dual-core processor is nothing. Are you paying $600 for the neat little cover? The cameras? It can't be the cameras. Surely someone like yourself has enough money that you've got a pretty new phone, right?

Based on the OPs use case a rooted Color Nook would be sufficient and only run $250 ($200 if you buy off ebay today).
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post

I think that exactly is the problem. And judging from negative posts about the Xoom around the internet, most people feel the same. How can a company expect people to buy a product that ISN'T necessary, and costs only $200 less than Apple's cheapest laptop? Between spending $800 or $1000, I'm going MacBook!

I have yet to read what the profit margin is for Motorola, but I saw somewhere that what makes it expensive are the cameras? This is the first real tablet to compete with the iPad and it does so in just about every aspect except for price and apps. It's just too bad that Apple is so closed with these portable devices.

Default Logmein for Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by robindover View Post
    It also still needs an anyconnect VPN client from cisco. This may cause me to sell my Xoom I got with the 25% off.

I have the Xoom doing most of what I need it to do, but the VPN issue has me teetering on the birng of an iPad2 despite the fact I think the Xoom may be the long term better product. I need to be able to connect to my work computer, and currently cant with my Xoom.
    coming soon. May not work for you, but this will be great for my work computers.

i think the wifi only not been available at launch is confusing purchasers. everybody keeps comparing the 3g/4g xoom to the wifi only ipad (2)... if you compare the 3g ipad (2) to the xoom, things arent that extreme.. specially if you have in mind that you wont need special adapter sfor the hdmi or usb ports, or that you can expand the memory with a sd card if you want, or the pleasure of enjoying the web as is.. with flash.

Hooraaaay one less apple drone to pollute our team
    Thanked by 2:

Neither one is a bad device to be honest with you, it all comes down to personal preference when all is said and done. I personally prefer Moto's products I always have, way before all these consumer based cell phone products were avail to general public. I am android for life...I am consumed with them. I also own a MacBook and wouldn't trade that for the world either. Yes Moto needs to still refine the Xoom ALOT at this point, it does have several glitches, but I do think this device is going to be "the way to go" in the future. Apple is the most innovative company out there hands down, Android is the most innovative OS out there.
    Last edited by mrksbrd; 03-02-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast