bogging down when multi tab browsing?

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else having this same issue? I'm a tab-aholic so I will load up a page and while thats loading I'll open up another tab and load another page and I will repeat until I have 5-8 different websites loading. Then it happens nothing will load browser still is functioning, but nothing will ever get loaded. I'll wait for 5-10 minutes and nothing will load. This has happened to me many times and is very disappointing because that how I use tab browsing ha! This is wifi.

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had at least 4-5 going on wifi and for me it didn't seem to slow anything down, not sure if I would need 8+ though, I will try it when I get home.

I also need to somehow import all my bookmarks from firefox.

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have had at least 4-5 going on wifi and for me it didn't seem to slow anything down, not sure if I would need 8+ though, I will try it when I get home.

for me the problem only happens when I open another tab and try to load a new website, before the other one is finished loading. Then of course while the new tab is loading I open and load another website on another tab.

Its happened few times now. Hopefully its just a fluke.

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
To OP, when you are having this issue, are you running other apps in the background or on the 3G network instead of wifi? The reason I ask is because devices such as the Xoom(other tablets) & smartphones are like mini computers and they need several things in order to operate correctly. Mostly, they need periodic rebooting or powering off sometimes, to be connected to a faster internet connection other than 3G, or closing some of the apps while using others. If you do these things, you should be ok, also don't forget that the Xoom will be connected to Verizon's 4G network in about 3 months. Also, try using it on a good wifi network and see if you have the same issues.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I am not using 3G and also have experienced issues in the stock browser when I have multiple tabs opened. The Xoom gets a little sluggish and at a certain point the browser just closes. It won't be in the list of Recent Apps, so I'll relaunch from the home screen icon and there are no tabs. History lists all the sites I was visiting, so I have to reopen them. It's been more than a little annoying...

The other apps running are Pulse, TweetCaster, GMail, and Market. I do tend to toggle between them often using Recent Apps, so perhaps there's some kind of leak when switching apps so much?

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm running on wifi and I was able to duplicate your issue. I started opening tabs and loading sites and saw a significant slowdown/lag. That being said, I don't see myself doing that during normal surfing. I am sure its a browser issue, but don't think it will affect too many ppl. But I'm probably wrong lol

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am not using 3G and also have experienced issues in the stock browser when I have multiple tabs opened. The Xoom gets a little sluggish and at a certain point the browser just closes. It won't be in the list of Recent Apps, so I'll relaunch from the home screen icon and there are no tabs. History lists all the sites I was visiting, so I have to reopen them. It's been more than a little annoying...

The other apps running are Pulse, TweetCaster, GMail, and Market. I do tend to toggle between them often using Recent Apps, so perhaps there's some kind of leak when switching apps so much?

Same issue here. The browser keeps crashing and its driving me nuts. Was filling out a form online to open an in account and the browser crashed so I had to redo everything.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

For your bookmarks, maybe you can do it with the google toolbar? If not, can you transfer them to chrome and then just enable sync on your Xoom & in Chrome and they will be sync'd from there on out - it's a great feature.

radsaq

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have seen instances where the browser refuses to load any pages. I have been unable to identify what causes this, but I'm quite sure it's unrelated to what kind of connection I'm on. Closing the browser out and relaunching the browser has fixed it in all cases. Also, I've been doing heavy browsing with multiple tabs and background processes this entire evening and things have been fine.

I think it's a bug in the browser itself, with a totally non-obvious trigger.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Also experienced the lag on mine with multiple tabs open. Hope its fixed with an update cuz its pretty annoyung to have to reopen all my tabs

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Also experienced the lag on mine with multiple tabs open. Hope its fixed with an update cuz its pretty annoyung to have to reopen all my tabs
I agree it's annoying, but the partial good news is that if you reopen the browser and hold down the BACK button in the status bar (not the URL bar), you can quickly get to your History. It lists the most recently accessed sites first.

Reactions: koxler

koxler

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree it's annoying, but the partial good news is that if you reopen the browser and hold down the BACK button in the status bar (not the URL bar), you can quickly get to your History. It lists the most recently accessed sites first.

This is a great tip. I didn't know about this till you mentioned it. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20