SMS app for Xoom????

Carlos Thomas

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't bought the app yet but I think I am going to shortly. If I understand it right it doesn't need to know what your phone number is because you put the app on the phone and your Xoom and it uses dropbox's sync to transfer the messages over. So you get a txt on your phone this app sees it transfers it into your drop box account which means that the next time the app on your Xoom checks that folder it sees the new txt and pulls it down. When you send a txt it does the same thing in the opposite direction and the uses the SMS app on your phone to send it. If I am mistaken please some one correct me but that is how I understand it to work.

I guess the assumption was that I had an Android based phone. I own a BlackBerry. I guess I will need to apply for a refund.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Weird part is I am receiving charges for text messages on the xoom. Looked at my xoom statement and see 10 text charges for .20 cents each. How can you accumulate charges on a service the device doesn't support?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

SongbirdVB

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Weird part is I am receiving charges for text messages on the xoom. Looked at my xoom statement and see 10 text charges for .20 cents each. How can you accumulate charges on a service the device doesn't support?

That's what I was afraid of. No SMS app for me, then! I'll continue to get texts only on my phone.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
After considering all the options, I think I'll stick to Google Voice for my Xoom texting. Granted, there is no GV app yet, but you can easily do it from the web page, which I have bookmarked on my browser. The only drawback is that you have to use your GV phone number instead of your real number. SyncSMS allows you to use your real number, but it seems that the text doesn't get delivered when you send it from your tablet. Instead, it looks like it goes to your Dropbox account, where it gets retrieved by your phone whenever it syncs to Dropbox. Once your phone has the text, it can then be actually sent out.

GIR#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

I assume that the people receiving these charges are using the 3G Zoom. Anyone know if this set up works on the wifi Zoom?

I would really like to be able to get my texts on my wifi Zoom. Since I have purchased my Zoom, my phone usually gets set down once I pick up my Zoom in the evenings. My Zoom can handle all my needs from there except for text notifications. This would be a great option to add if there are no charges using wifi.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I assume that the people receiving these charges are using the 3G Zoom. Anyone know if this set up works on the wifi Zoom?

I would really like to be able to get my texts on my wifi Zoom. Since I have purchased my Zoom, my phone usually gets set down once I pick up my Zoom in the evenings. My Zoom can handle all my needs from there except for text notifications. This would be a great option to add if there are no charges using wifi.

Yes. Thats gotta only be for the 3G Xoom. I have the Wifi Xoom and have this installed. And it works fantastic. Just installed it a couple of hours ago and have done a lot of tests. Its sweet. Worth the $3 and the Dev is responsive to when you ask him any questions. Good deal!

Reactions: GIR#AC

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine, but know I would be on the phone with Verizon! Especially if you have not received a text.

The Xoom can't receive texts! I did call Verizon last night and they reversed the charges and placed a "text block" on my Xoom. Said people are sending text to my Xoom's phone number trying to reach whomever owned that number in the past.

I would think they would do this standard when you activated the Xoom. What is that $35 activation fee pay for anyway?

SongbirdVB

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom can't receive texts! I did call Verizon last night and they reversed the charges and placed a "text block" on my Xoom. Said people are sending text to my Xoom's phone number trying to reach whomever owned that number in the past.

I would think they would do this standard when you activated the Xoom. What is that $35 activation fee pay for anyway?

That's what I thought too. When I tried to set up my on line account it automatically texts your temporary password. I called Customer Service who said the Xoom CAN get texts, but she could block that and snailmail a temporary pw to me. I had her block it because I don't think she knew what she was talking about. Pfffft. :p

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing around with that syncsms app others have mentioned. It allows you to sync your texting between your xoom and android phone using dropbox. It works pretty well. I am a little concerned about battery life as for it to be really effective you have to have both your xoom and phone syncing to dropbox every 30 seconds, but there is a widget for both the xoom and phone letting you turn the service on and off.

I'm pretty impressed. It's also nice to be able to text from my xoom in meetings using my own phone number. As it uses dropbox your phone and xoom don't even have to be on the same continent.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have both Google Voice and SyncSMS. Google Voice sends the texts instantly, but via your Google Voice number instead of your real mobile number. SyncSMS sends the texts via your real mobile number, but only after your phone retrieves the message from your Dropbox account at the sync interval of your choosing. Also, Google Voice has no tablet app, so you have to do it via a browser page; this also means that you can use Google Voice from you desktop or laptop, too.

Both are satisfactory, but imperfect tablet texting solutions.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Question, how do you use Google Voice to text? I have it on my Xoom and I don't know how to compose it. Please and thank you.

Sent from my Xoom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech