Xoom screen brightness

preViously

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I am considering a Xoom, wiifi only when it comes out. However, the low maximum brightness concerns me. I played with the Xoom at Best Buy and while the screen is pretty great, it is in fact too dim, even at maximum brightness.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Motorola could issue a software update that allows an increase in the maximum brightness of the screen? Perhaps they but a software limit on the brightness for battery life concerns. I would rather have a brighter screen, at times, than a longer battery life.

dieselnyc

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I am considering a Xoom, wiifi only when it comes out. However, the low maximum brightness concerns me. I played with the Xoom at Best Buy and while the screen is pretty great, it is in fact too dim, even at maximum brightness.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Motorola could issue a software update that allows an increase in the maximum brightness of the screen? Perhaps they but a software limit on the brightness for battery life concerns. I would rather have a brighter screen, at times, than a longer battery life.

I'm surprised to hear that. I think my Xoom is very bright on maximum and other people that have used it also felt it was pretty bright

I usually leave it in the middle and even lower when reading eBooks.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found the maximum screen brightness to be a factor. Indoors the maximum brightness is more than enough for me. In a sunlit room or a bright aircraft cockpit it's OK, too. I do find that the automatic brightness control should be adjusted slightly, or made user-tweakable. The AUTO setting is consistently too dim. I keep mine adjusted about 2/3 of maximum unless I'm in a darkened room, then AUTO is OK.

Cheers.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have mine at about 25% with no issues. While plugged in and not used mine goes very dim, by design. When I go back to use it, it becomes bright again.

preViously

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It seems brightness is a real matter of opinion as many people say theirs is quite adequate. Several reviews I read and my use of the product at the store believe it could be brighter. I bet having it at home makes a big difference since huge flourecent store lighting are not the best to be testing in.

- I still think giving the user the ability to go brighter than the current maximum is a good idea (If the hardware can handle it.)

:)

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and the Xoom and the iPad were right next to each other. I turned up the brightness on both to 100% and could not tell the difference. The Xoom didn't seem less bright than the iPad at all. Based upon what I've read I was expecting a huge difference.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and the Xoom and the iPad were right next to each other. I turned up the brightness on both to 100% and could not tell the difference. The Xoom didn't seem less bright than the iPad at all. Based upon what I've read I was expecting a huge difference.

Yeah, it's not a brightness issue but a color temperature issue. Also seems the gamma on the Xoom is a little high.

secrethouse92

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought the screen looked dim on the demo version at the Verizon store myself. The one I actually purchased did not exhibit any of the dimmer, smeared qualities I saw in the demo model. In fact, and this could be blind love telling me this, I feel as though my Xoom has actually burned in to an even crisper look than when I first turned it on.
I like a really bright, super snazzy look as a rule but i rarely take the Xoom above 75% now.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995