Deciding on getting Xoom

Charlie03

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Been looking at getting the Xoom for awhile now. Ive waited for some reviews to hit the web and read what others have to say about the device. I've certainly been hesitant mainly because of the price tag. Currently I own a Droid X and have been searching for a more comfortable experience of simulating a computer or laptop I guess if that makes sense. I'm an android fanatic and I'm looking for a device that can perform up to the standards, or close to, of a laptop per say. I would prefer the Wi/fi only (cheaper). Are these things out yet? I see the Sams Club ads, but can figure it out. Any advice or suggestions on getting one of these pups. Thanks

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Own and EVO. Love it and life long Android fan! I purchased the Xoom on day 1 and absolutly loved it! The apps (lack there of) is what killed it for me.
I returned it and will be purchasing my 1st Apple device. iPad2. If that sucks, I will go back to the Xoom. Also, let me add. I in no way felt that the $800 Xoom price tag was worth it. Just my 2 pennies.

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid X as well as a Xoom and I'm loving it! The wifi version isn't out yet but I've been hearing its coming in April? I don't use the 3g bc I just wireless tether from my rooted phone for free. I am looking forward to 4g when its available. I'm extremely satisfied with my device, its only going to get better... and cheaper.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Do what it appears everyone else is doing -- Buy one and return it.

I love my X and received my Xoom last Friday knowing that I would like/keep it. The xoom will be able to simulate the laptop experience better than the Apple tab - that is an easy one. Read this board and others and you will have everything you need to know about the xoom and determine if its right for you. I own Ipad's and will pick up a Pad #2 this Friday but have a feeling that it will not impact my use of the xoom. XOOM is my goto tablet.

kjdocs

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I love mine, though it depends on what your using your laptop for. That being said, I think in a few months it could do most of the things I do on my laptop.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I really love the XOOM. I also owned an iPad (twice actually) but both times I tried to own one it failed to meet my requirements/expectations. The XOOM is a great device. It will be a FANTASTIC device on they get 4G and Flash on here, as well as more apps optimized for the tablet. I don't regret buying it at all, I would do it again today.

If you're having heartburn over $800 thought, you probably save the money until you can spend a little without feeling bad. Just my two cents.

For the desktop functions that this cannot yet duplicate, I just use LogMeIn to pull up my desktop and take care of it that way.

Go pick one up, you'll like it. If not, take it back! Buy it at Costco so you have 90 days to decide.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
For the desktop functions that this cannot yet duplicate, I just use LogMeIn to pull up my desktop and take care of it that way.

I don't mean to threadjack, but how are you using LMI on your Xoom currently since the Honeycomb version has not been released and you cannot install the current version from the Market? Did you manually install the APK? I have not tried that currently since I am impatiently waiting for them to get the Honeycomb optimized version out. I have tried LMI through the browser and can get to my desktops but it is ridiculously unusable from there.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Was about to ask the same question -- I'm forced to use LMI on my Ipad. Tried an earlier version and it works some times and crashes others...

Also question on Costco -- According to the Costco/Verizon Booth person all phones/devices purchased there are subject to the standard T&C's for Verizon - not the 90 day Electronic return policy that Costco has.

I don't mean to threadjack, but how are you using LMI on your Xoom currently since the Honeycomb version has not been released and you cannot install the current version from the Market? Did you manually install the APK? I have not tried that currently since I am impatiently waiting for them to get the Honeycomb optimized version out. I have tried LMI through the browser and can get to my desktops but it is ridiculously unusable from there.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I got the Xoom And I love it! Stilll setting it up with apps, but I find myself useing the browers like I would on my laptop. Facebook, twitter, androidcentral, etc.
Also I got it at Coctco and was told that Costco does gove 90 days to return with no fee. Sign was at the booth also.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear ... I order all of my Verizon stuff from business Rep as the deals are often times too good to pass up.

dblake15

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up, if you like lmi try splash top from the market. It has been updated for honeycomb.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I love it. I don't know if I have a biased opinion at this point but it's really amazing. I'm a marketing manager for an ecommerce web site and have a handful of other web properties that I'm solely responsible for and as far as work goes the Xoom has been a life saver. I can't develop web pages but I can do almost 85% of what I have to do everyday on the Xoom and do it faster.

Then as far as entertainment goes, it's great. Video is hands down amazing and a ton of the games on the market work on the Xoom (if you're having screen re-sizing issues get Spare Parts from the market and un check compatibility - it's a life saver).

I didn't think I'd use it this much and was just excited to get my hands on some honeycomb but at this point it'd be extremely hard to give up.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I manually installed the log me in APK. It crashes sometimes, but it works. I'm anxiously waiting for the honeycomb optimized version.

Charlie03

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate the input from you guys. I'm also a fan of taken advantage of the return policy. Beat my droid up to the bone right when I got it, was in total brickage and before any knowledge was out about the bootloader errors, I got a manufactures warranty return.
Anyway, so my biggest fear here is finding out that i just bought a big f'in droid when i start tinkering on it. You know what I mean. The dual-core is a nice scale up and the screen size is sufficent for comfortable text reading and browsing. Now is the bootloader locked? I mean is it logically capable of being decrypted. The X wiz's are struggling right now. What the situation there.
I as well would simply use the tether for internet. So it would probally be better to hang out till the cheaper wi/fi model. What are some other standout features that your capable of doing that sets it apart from an android phone?

daiden

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate the input from you guys. I'm also a fan of taken advantage of the return policy. Beat my droid up to the bone right when I got it, was in total brickage and before any knowledge was out about the bootloader errors, I got a manufactures warranty return.
Anyway, so my biggest fear here is finding out that i just bought a big f'in droid when i start tinkering on it. You know what I mean. The dual-core is a nice scale up and the screen size is sufficent for comfortable text reading and browsing. Now is the bootloader locked? I mean is it logically capable of being decrypted. The X wiz's are struggling right now. What the situation there.
I as well would simply use the tether for internet. So it would probally be better to hang out till the cheaper wi/fi model. What are some other standout features that your capable of doing that sets it apart from an android phone?

The bootloader is unlockable, so no worries there. The question about waiting for a wifi model is solely your decision. If you never plan on using the cellular radio, then you've answered your own question.

As for whether it's just "a big Android phone", I'll let some more experienced users answer that. I've only fiddled around with previous versions of Android at retail stores. The Xoom is really my first experience with an Android device.

sparhawke2000

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
i just purchased my Xoom the other day and absolutely love it. I bought it at Costco w/ a 5GB data plan for about $589 with a 2 year agreement. Later, I downgraded the data plan and I will primarily use wifi. I don't regret the cost at all.

Charlie03

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
i just purchased my Xoom the other day and absolutely love it. I bought it at Costco w/ a 5GB data plan for about $589 with a 2 year agreement. Later, I downgraded the data plan and I will primarily use wifi. I don't regret the cost at all.

I like the sound of that. Im going to stop by Cotsco thins week and see if they got any in stock. The price will obviously vary according to location. Im checking online and I'm seeing $639. Is it optional to purchase a data plan, or can I just go with the wi/fi?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up, if you like lmi try splash top from the market. It has been updated for honeycomb.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the recommendation but it doesn't help in my particular case. I'm an IT administrator and have hundreds of PC's/servers configured in LMI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy