Hardcore Android Guy Returns Xoom

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Preamble: I love Android. I liked my Xoom. I liked Honeycomb.

I just couldn't justify my scarce $800 on the Xoom. I'm just waiting a month or so to hear more about the WiFi only version and this new Sprint Tab (since I'm a long time Sprint guy).

Also, I figure in a few months, prices will drop, many Honeycomb kinks will be ironed out, 4G/SD card issues will be resolved, and other competitors will release tabs, which is always good for competition.

Preemptive strike: NO I will NOT get an iDouche 2 lol.

In all honesty, I liked but not loved the Xoom. As much as I hate to say it, it felt like a pre release product. I look forward to Honeycomb exploding vastly soon though and maturing.

Just my thoughts for the day.

BB

PS - Had $100 BB gift card so I picked up Fight Night Champion. #sweet

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You know what, I love mine but I too feel like it has been released a little bit early. This is exactly why I bought mine from Costco. I have 90 days from teh original date of purchase to return it for a full refund. If there is a price drop, or something better comes along I will return mine and purchase under new terms.

If that doesn't happen, I still don't feel bad about the purchase. I know the updates will come. If I had $800 for gadget budget for the year and that's all, I would be waiting as well =)

Reactions: Nchaka

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
By summer these things will be $200 cheaper and shipping complete with flash and LTE. Maybe there will even be some apps by then.

Verizon's data scheme with the Xoom is almost criminal. $35 every time I want to use a data plan for the month? Stupid. Hopefully, they'll throw out that old policy by then too. It was designed for phones on a contract.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree they will be cheaper in the summer and originally was planning on waiting. But I am willing to pay $200 for the additional 3 or 4 months of use.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I love being an early adopter. You appreciate those features so much more after you suffered without them and waited for god knows how long.

I

Last edited by a moderator:

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The only reason I bought one was because I was able to take advantage of the 25% off coupon, but for the same reasons, I turned around and sold mine on eBay. While I like where Google is heading with Honeycomb, they're just not there yet. I had a few instances where the browser started lagging with only 2 tabs open and the lack of apps was kind of a killer too.

I've also decided that I'm looking for something a little bit smaller and lightweight (potentially a 7" tablet like the BlackBerry PlayBook or maybe even Samsung's 8.9" offering). I do know this, we'll have plenty of choices in the next few months.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I just couldn't justify my scarce $800 on the Xoom. I'm just waiting a month or so to hear more about the WiFi only version and this new Sprint Tab (since I'm a long time Sprint guy).

Also, I figure in a few months, prices will drop, many Honeycomb kinks will be ironed out, 4G/SD card issues will be resolved, and other competitors will release tabs, which is always good for competition.

In all honesty, I liked but not loved the Xoom. As much as I hate to say it, it felt like a pre release product. I look forward to Honeycomb exploding vastly soon though and maturing.

BB

I feel kind if the same. Although I think I'm keeping my Xoom. What is a bit annoying is not so much the flash and 4G missing. Honeycomb is great but its not ready for pimetime just yet. I've had numerous crashes particularly in the browser. Also playing music in the background is fine until you do anything on the browser that is slightly intense such as zooming in and out. Or anything in another app. The music stutters. Occasionally the market acts weird jumping me to the wrong place or requiring me to download apps a few times before they actually install. The screen resolution is nice but the contrast and brightness need work. App switching is great and notifications are excellent. I'm just not totally convinced yet.

ZBoater

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
By summer these things will be $200 cheaper and shipping complete with flash and LTE. Maybe there will even be some apps by then.

Yeah, but think of all the fun you will be missing out on between now and then! :cool:

I've already unlocked, rooted, OCed, reflashed, relocked, and reformatted like 3 times. And every day there is a new app or three that is updated for the Xoom. It's like Christmas every day!

And in a few short weeks? we'll get LTE, and then we're gonna be Xooming... :D

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you have sub-optimal internet service. I have none of these issues and the damned Xoom has not blown a gasket since I bought it on release day. used it in the jungles of Costa Rica for a week (really) and used the internet there using phone my pc to do business on my home pc using quickbooks and excel. nothing is not as advertised--flash/memory. browser can go at least 14 tabs since I had it there........ check your internet first, it is the prime suspect.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
This whole -- I'm a real Andriod Supporter but I had to return my XOOM posts are popping up all over the place. Check out MacRumor's -- several just like this start out by saying how much of an Andriod "FREAK" the buyer was .... and all end in a return. I'm not saying this is the case for the OP but I see many people just buying the xoom knowing in advance they are going to return.

Bottom line is that if you have to justify 800 bucks for a "TOY", "Gadget" etc...then you are most likely going to need to return it. The xoom as it sits today probably does not justify 800 - at a bit over 500 I think it's quite a bit easier to justify.

A title of "Love Andriod - But Can't swing a 800 price tag" would be more fitting.

Last edited:

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You know what, I love mine but I too feel like it has been released a little bit early. This is exactly why I bought mine from Costco. I have 90 days from teh original date of purchase to return it for a full refund. If there is a price drop, or something better comes along I will return mine and purchase under new terms.

If that doesn't happen, I still don't feel bad about the purchase. I know the updates will come. If I had $800 for gadget budget for the year and that's all, I would be waiting as well =)

Would it be better for Google, Moto or Verizon to hold up the release? I don't think so.

I agree the experience has some hitches (one being the price tag) but considering the Xoom is the cutting edge of Android tablets and tablet hardware, I think its amazingly polished. I'm glad the tablet was released in the state that it is and I'm looking forward to the updates and compatible apps. Also, with the tablet being rushed to market, its "vanilla" android and completely unlocked. If Moto had its way with the Xoom it would have bloat-ware and be locked down. Considering the aforementioned, I am more than willing to play extra.

-Kesnik

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Some of you all are just like the people who caused the housing crisis, you buy something knowing you can't afford it and will be taking it back there is nothing right about that

BB

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
If the ipad had flash I'd buy that. I'm waiting to see how things pan out with the xoom or even new tablets coming. But the general consensus is that the xoom launch was a fail

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If the ipad had flash I'd buy that. I'm waiting to see how things pan out with the xoom or even new tablets coming. But the general consensus is that the xoom launch was a fail

Could you show me some stock trader inside charts that back up your fail claim?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Some of you all are just like the people who caused the housing crisis, you buy something knowing you can't afford it and will be taking it back there is nothing right about that

Well, that's kind of a silly analogy. Nobody's talking about defaulting on a loan here, they're talking about returning a product that doesn't work out for them according to the seller's own terms.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Could you show me some stock trader inside charts that back up your fail claim?

You think it is a good thing that the device launches WITHOUT an enabled sd card, lack of flag, LTE and small small list of apps? A good amount of which force close...

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
you can always tell when someone does not own their own business.

I read on here all the time people are returning xoom's because they are to expensive, if its to expensive do not buy it. If you go to purchase something with the mindset you are gonna return it, that's totally wrong.

Someone has to pay to check the device over, repackage itand then resell it, if they can even do that. I told the verizon guy when I got mine, to ensure it was not something someone brought back, he told me that if I walk out of the store, come back 5 min later, he could not resell it.

someone has to pay for the games some of you play.

Well, that's kind of a silly analogy. Nobody's talking about defaulting on a loan here, they're talking about returning a product that doesn't work out for them according to the seller's own terms.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc