Complete Laptop Replacement!

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Given the Xoom forum here, I figure you all know that I am going to be talking about it as my complete replacement.

So, with the keyboard, a stylus, and my xoom, I'm completely retiring my laptop as a member of my school backpack. Here's why

Okay, I am a Math//Stat composite education major, which means eventually I will be a math teacher, but also means that I do a lot of math now. I have had, in the past, a computer with me because I was able to put in all my formulas and written examples directly into my computer via a Wacoom Board and save them in OneNote. Now, I know there isn't a replacement for One Note on the Xoom, but there is documents to go, and that draw program that just came out. Couple clicks and the image is saved and cleared ready for a new page of notes. So, what I am doing: I take notes on a document and when needed, I quickly open up a draw paper pad and quickly do some hand written notes, then back to typing. With a BlueTooth keyboard, I'm rockin this thing in much less weight, my battery drain is so much less than on a laptop, and again, the weight thing!

The weight is a major concern for me because I happen to have a blood clot in my leg that if I use my leg muscles is in danger of breaking off into an embolism into my lungs, so weight matters so much.

LOVE MY XOOM!!!!!!!!

Reactions: WillC

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
First off congratulations. I am trying to do the same thing and in a few months when the programming catches up I shouldn't be able to. Second on a random note if the clot is that bad have they not considered putting filters in your femoral veins.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
First off congratulations. I am trying to do the same thing and in a few months when the programming catches up I shouldn't be able to. Second on a random note if the clot is that bad have they not considered putting filters in your femoral veins.

Ha, thanks for the thought there but the lazy VA docs won't do it. They aren't used to treating a young patient, all WWII era vets is what they are used to.

Parker9706

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I sold my Laptop and I'll be getting a Honeycomb tablet this Spring! For the things I do It's great for me! I do Gaming and Social Networks, thats about it, so I don't need a laptop to do that. I'll wait until all the honeycomb tablets come out and see whats more affordable.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Stylus I am using is from Verizon Wireless, the Griffon one, I just posted about it in the thread about stylussssessesss.... styli? Whatever. Anyway, that's what I'm using. It's neat, works just like if you were touching it and it works on my phone (fascinate) too.

The drawing program is called: DrawFree. It is under the Market in the "made for tablet" section, what ever it is really called.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I replaced my laptop with a netbook and now I replaced my netbook with my Xoom. It's great and I am using it to study for some certifications. I load all my text books in PDF format onto the Xoom then I use a program called RepliGo Reader where it not only opens the PDF but also allows me to highlight words, make notes and book mark. What's cool about it is that it will index all the pages you make highlights and notes on and will keep it on a separate "table of contents" so you can go back to them much quicker. I have about 10 PDF's on here equivalent to 10 800 page technical text books....not to mention not having to carry around a notebook, pens, paper, etc.

bestbuystinks

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Retired my 15" Toshiba laptop and my iPad. I now have a desktop and the Xoom. I can't believe how unfair the tech media has been. This is a very underrated device.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I replaced my laptop with a netbook and now I replaced my netbook with my Xoom. It's great and I am using it to study for some certifications. I load all my text books in PDF format onto the Xoom then I use a program called RepliGo Reader where it not only opens the PDF but also allows me to highlight words, make notes and book mark. What's cool about it is that it will index all the pages you make highlights and notes on and will keep it on a separate "table of contents" so you can go back to them much quicker. I have about 10 PDF's on here equivalent to 10 800 page technical text books....not to mention not having to carry around a notebook, pens, paper, etc.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Going to have use this program. Thanks!

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Going to have use this program. Thanks!

Just an fyi, you can only modify pdf's that are not locked to prevent editing. There were a few locked pdf's but I ran those through a pdf password removal program and they work flawlesly. Even if the pdf is locked you can still view them you just can't highlight or make notes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol