guide: how to tether iphone unlimited data to xoom

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Here are the steps I take to tether unlimited iPhone data from iPhone 4 to xoom, works every time

1. Download iPhone firmware 4.2.1 from iTunes (if you haven't yet)
2. Jailbreak iPhone using greenpoisen (google it, very simple)
3. Purchase tetherme app for $0.99 from cydia

Once you have tetherme working

1. Put xoom into airplane mode (turns off all data access)
2. Turn ON bluetooth on xoom
3. Turn ON internet tethering on iPhone, a popup will ask if you want USB only or bluetooth, select bluetooth,
4. Pair iPhone with xoom (if you haven't already)
5. Under paired devices on xoom, select iPhone 4 until it says connected (important step)

Oil a! Enjoy your fast unlimited att connection you've already paid for!

Now when exactly is that less expensive wifi-only xoom coming out??? :p

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Very cool--good post. I have a non-jailbroken phone with the infamous handylight app on it. This was a flashlight app that had an Easter Egg hidden inside which allows you to share the iPhone's internet connection with a computer via a proxy network. Does the Xoom support a proxy connection? If so, that would be awesome. . .

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I did all of this, but I cannot get the connection to stay connect. Help!!!

I don't know where you are trying to do this. The one thing I have noticed while teathering with my HTC INC is that in areas with a large amount of wireless noise I have trouble maintaining the connection and have to play with the settings a little on wireless teather then I have no trouble.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Is this Bluetooth tethering? How is your internet speed? I tried it with another app and it was very slow.
I would love to use my unlimited data on my xoom. But the xoom doesn't accept adhoc Networks that is produced by using mywi.

mhochman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well i had this working for about 30 seconds, after trying for an hour i finally got my iPhone to see the Xoom, but made the mistake of hitting "pair" from the iPhone side, got the error "Xoom not supported" and my only option was to "Forget Xoom" until i hit forget, i was able to share the connection, but not change any settings on the phone. now i'm back to the iPhone not seeing the Xoom...

I hope that MiWi comes out with an Infrastructure mode soon, as that would make this nonsense irelevant...

as for speed, i got about 1mbid town .20 up which is about what i get native on the iPhone in this area.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Try pairing from the Xoom. I got it to work for a day. Then the next time it wouldn't connect so I gave up. I agree, hopefully mywi or someone could make an infrastructure network. It would be so much easier.

mhochman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Try pairing from the Xoom. I got it to work for a day. Then the next time it wouldn't connect so I gave up. I agree, hopefully mywi or someone could make an infrastructure network. It would be so much easier.

Yeah, now the Xoom can see the iPhone, but the iPhone can't see the xoom to pair... I don't think i'm going to be anywhere without WiFi for a bit, so it's not a huge deal right now.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately not on Mine, Maybe once out of ever dozen tries i can get the iPhone and Xoom to see eachother..

I'm going to keep working at it though.

Hmmm, are you turning airplane mode ON, then BT on etc... i dont seem to be having any issues so far. If you turn on BT before turning Airplane mode on i do have issues.

mhochman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, are you turning airplane mode ON, then BT on etc... i dont seem to be having any issues so far. If you turn on BT before turning Airplane mode on i do have issues.

Airplane mode, then bluetooth, it just won't pair reliably with my iPhone, maybe once out of ever 30 attempts it pairs. and even then, my Xoom doesn't always show up in the bluetooth on my phone, and i get "Paired but not connected" on my Xoom

I don't know if the issue is with my iPhone or my Xoom, either Google adding Ad Hoc, or MyWi adding Infrastructure would solve the problem, until then i guess i'm just using WiFi, or turning on the 3G... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech