stock browser constantly crashes

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Seems like anytime I use anything facebook related, app or browser, I get crashes within 20 seconds of use. Any ideas on that?

With the stock browser, without facebook, I tend to gt crashed within 5 minutes.
Ideas on that one?

Crashed as soon as the page redirected from completeting the forum post.

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Seems like anytime I use anything facebook related, app or browser, I get crashes within 20 seconds of use. Any ideas on that?

With the stock browser, without facebook, I tend to gt crashed within 5 minutes.
Ideas on that one?

Crashed as soon as the page redirected from completeting the forum post.

I cannot be any help, but I can tell you that you are not alone. I tried Dolphin HD and used that for a while. It seemed to crash less, but is not optimized for 3.0. I returned my Xoom because of this and other things. I would keep an eye out for the Dolphin browser for Pad. That will probably work better unless an OTA comes out.

lightshedder

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I can not help either, but just to avoid the wrong impression, the stock browser has NEVER crashed on me in more than a week of heavy usage, using hotel, airport, and home wifi, as well as Verizon 3G. Very occasionally I get a page that flickers instead of loading, especially when the browser auto opens from a bookmark or link, but backing out has always cured that, and the page loads fine the next time. And I use the Facebook web interface many times a day. ???

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
One other thing that I forgot to mention...I have read several people state that turning off Google Instant has helped with browser and keyboard lag. It may help with crashes as well.

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I can not help either, but just to avoid the wrong impression, the stock browser has NEVER crashed on me in more than a week of heavy usage, using hotel, airport, and home wifi, as well as Verizon 3G. Very occasionally I get a page that flickers instead of loading, especially when the browser auto opens from a bookmark or link, but backing out has always cured that, and the page loads fine the next time. And I use the Facebook web interface many times a day. ???

I am with him, I have been using the stock browser very heavily and have yet to have it crash on me. Maybe you can reset/format/wipe/whatever you call it back to factory settings. Its a computer, files get corrupted.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
One other thing that I forgot to mention...I have read several people state that turning off Google Instant has helped with browser and keyboard lag. It may help with crashes as well.

What settings are you using for your browser? What sites are crashing?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are having crashes in your browser or any other app that relies on internet connectivity, it could be caused by the possible WiFi driver memory leak they found on the Motorola user forums. The good thing about that is they know whats causing and can issue a fix for it.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
How many tabs to you have open? Some people have crash problems if they have a lot of tabs. I had 1 force close and a couple of freezes when I had 4 or more tabs. So now I only use 2 or 3 at a time and no problems.

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
How many tabs to you have open? Some people have crash problems if they have a lot of tabs. I had 1 force close and a couple of freezes when I had 4 or more tabs. So now I only use 2 or 3 at a time and no problems.

I never have more than two tabs opened at once.
Typically a forum and facebook.

I've noticed the flickering as someone else has stated in here, but I've never experienced a crash after a flicker, it just flickers till I refresh, go to the previous page, or go to a new page.

The crashing seems to be mostly for facebook as well as the app.

As I was typing a different sentence here I realized where ALL of the crashes are occuring. The crashes arent random, as I first thought. Theres a chance that they happe whenever I click a text box to type into. Search friends, send message, status update, chat. It happens there!

As for the app, thats anytime I go back using the back on the bottom left. It seems to crash.

Other apps, I've had no crashes on other apps that are optimized for HC.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that the stock browser doesn't keep loaded pages cached in memory. If I have five tabs open in the browser and use 6 other apps for quite a while (hour or more), when I open the browser again either one of two things happen:

1) All tabs are gone - it's one tab, showing frequently visited sites

or

2) All tabs are there, but each one is being reloaded