1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Default Better Marketing Ideas for Xoom

It's no secret that Verizon and Moto sent a bunch of monkeys in for marketing this thing, and they seriously screwed it up. What do you think are some better ways they could have marketed the Xoom?

My ideal set of commercials:
    Compare the experience of getting the same information on an iPad and a Xoom.

Examples:
    - Have a voice-over say "Say you want to go to this website..." and go to a site with Flash (obviously just an example...) to showcase all the empty spaces on the iPad.
    - "Say you want to check the weather..." and the iPad guy looks for his app but the Xoom guy just has a widget open and cracks his knuckles or moves on to the next task because he didn't have to open any apps.
    - Once LTE is ready he says "Say you want to download a movie onto your tablet..." and the iPad guy has to find his USB cable and load up iTunes, while the Xoom guy just downloads the thing over the air at LTE speeds.
    - Showcase multi-tasking. "Say you want to do five things at once..." and show how easy it is to switch around between apps on the Xoom and how much gets done in the background
    - Showcase the screen's ratio "Say you want to watch a movie... a WIDESCREEN movie..." and compare the two
    - Showcase the HELL out of the PlayStation thing once it's out
    - Voiceover needs to bring up Apps that aren't allowed on the iPad ("Say you want a different keyboard..." or "Say you want to play some old Nintendo games...")

They need to target iOS directly. Then after that, they can go ahead and turn the freaking thing into a spaceship. Because without showing how useful it is, the average consumer barely has any idea what it is.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

I feel like the Xoom commercials are starting like the old Droid commercials.

Over the last week they've been all over prime time (detroit 187, american idol to speak of my personal knowledge).

I think they have a plan for the ad campaign but I do wonder if they can target iOS directly w/the VZW version of the tablet given the new Verizon/Apple relationship.

I am pleased to see the commercial though.

Another MAJOR issue at least at the Best Buy's I have seen is that they don't have it positioned well in the store. Unless you ask a store employee, you can't find the demo. It was tucked away with Netbooks in the back of the store. It wasn't even with the other tablets in the cell phone area.

Quote Originally Posted by phiz118 View Post
    Another MAJOR issue at least at the Best Buy's I have seen is that they don't have it positioned well in the store. Unless you ask a store employee, you can't find the demo. It was tucked away with Netbooks in the back of the store. It wasn't even with the other tablets in the cell phone area.
    I agree. The Best Buy near me also has it back with the laptops without any sort of fanfare. No posters or marketing information either. Just a slab with $800 price tag. There needs to be marketing there to explain its features, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phiz118 View Post
    Same with my BB, I was looking for them with the other tablets and cellphones, why are they with the net books?

I think most of the ad money was spent on that superbowl ad that 1% of the population got.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tjlandberg View Post
    I think most of the ad money was spent on that superbowl ad that 1% of the population got.
    I'm not sure, we're talking about really big companies here and advertising on American Idol can't be that cheap.

I think they may be waiting for flash to release next week and wifi only version before they go all out and start comparing to ipad. If they can offer a 500 to 600 dollar tablet wifi only, and it has flash then they can make a better case for consumers to consider the xoom over the ipad.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Along this line of thinking... where the hell is the info on the wifi-only? Jesus, why can't they just give a date and an MSRP? I don't understand what the problem with telling us that would be.

Maybe they're just waiting until next week to announce, on account of the iPad 2. :\