Just bought an ipad 2....

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Any idea if you can do video chat with skype? I fear that the Xoom may never get video chatting thru skype. Google chat is nice but I know far more people that use Skype.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

But Google Chat can be used on virtually all platforms and actually works better than Skype IMHO. I used Google chat on my Xoom to someone on a MAC, after they installed a small plug in that you are prompted to install to use Video, the video was smooth and the voice was in synch, no choppiness.

The only gripe I have is that you have to hide the video window in Google chat to type to someone.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's because they used the same cameras that are in the iPod touch. That's how Apple can price these units at an affordable price point, they use basically the same hardware across all their products which is not a bad thing from a manufacturing point at all.

I think you are onto something. The entry unit is probably very low margin. But drop some memory in it and the price really rises, as does the margin. But, the real margin is in the accessories. $40-60 for the iPad2 cover? Wired estimates Apple will make $200+ M profit from the covers alone.

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the continued interest I'm planning on making the video after I get some more time with the iPad 2. So check back with me on Sunday (13th) or Monday (14th).

The browser isn't all that great I do miss my tab browsing. Camera isn't all that great but I kind of love the fixed focused makes taking pictures lighting fast.

Again I need some ideas to what you guys want to see in this video.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Before anyone ask, yes I have a xoom and yes I'm keeping the xoom. I just wanted to play with it then I'm probably going to be gifting it to my mom because she has been talking about the ipad forever! Until then I will be doing some comparisons videos of the xoom vs ipad2

First impressions this thing is LIGHT! very light when compared to the heavy xoom. I have yet to boot this thing up because i have sync to itunes. I dont even have itunes on my pc and I actually hate itunes. I'm currently very reluctantly installing itunes.

be sure to check out my youtube channel (in my signature) I am currently uploading a unboxing video. I will soon have a comparison up.

Cool video. Watched several of your Xoom vids... nice stuff. Keep up the great work.

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from Verizon Wireless. I know many have said how their workers have not even promoted the Xoom. Some even have said that they pushed people away from the Xoom. Where I came from they may be doing the same thing. But the three employees I talked to said that there is no doubt the Xoom is by far better then the I pad. That got me thinking about a review I read. I think it was in Slash Gear.

The reviewer said the I pad is great because his 5 year old son and his 70 year old mother can use it.

This is not a selling point for me but it is for the masses. It is for the not so bright. :) And this is where Apple succeeds and thrives. They market to the masses and the not so bright and for that reason they will always be a success.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the continued interest I'm planning on making the video after I get some more time with the iPad 2. So check back with me on Sunday (13th) or Monday (14th).

The browser isn't all that great I do miss my tab browsing. Camera isn't all that great but I kind of love the fixed focused makes taking pictures lighting fast.

Again I need some ideas to what you guys want to see in this video.

I missed this too. Mercury browser has tabs. They are smaller but the gestures work very well.

mordbane

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Apple always leaves you with a few features that makes you yearn for the next generation. It's part of their business model.

Sent from my grubby hand

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site

This test is flawed for so many reasons, which shocker Gizmodo declined to mention. We search and search for reasons why the I pad is better than the Xoom. But I am happy and I believe most other Xoom owners are as well. I could not imagine joining the simplistic world of Apple. So thanks for the link but it proves nothing.

With that being said I am done with this thread and done wasting my time defending the Xoom which really does not need defending.

Reactions: DreamSTi

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I actually picked up a Verizon iPad yesterday so I could do a good comparison for myself. I was dead set on not returning my Xoom. Now I'm not so sure. After having used the iPad for 24 hours my perspective has changed. While I am an android fan after weighing the differences between the two I'm not sure I can justify the Xoom at this price point. A few thing were bothering me about the Xoom - one primarily being it's lack of Cisco VPN support which would be convenient for my job. The second was the screen that just wasn't tweaked color and contrast wise. Yes I love my Netflix but apps weren't such a big deal to me. Until I experienced them on the iPad. I have had an apple tv for a few months now and was able to experience the convenience of AirPlay for myself. The things it does not do well - the cameras suck. Period. Videoconferencing through FaceTime is fine and about what I was seeing with gtalk on the Xoom. Photos are another issue altogether. They're no good on the iPad. The Xooms were far superior. Multitasking - Xoom does the superior job. Although not bad on the iPad when I turned on developer mode that enabled more multitouch gestures. Made switching between apps pretty seamless. Speakers - Xoom wins on the fact it has stereo speakers, but even though ipad only has one mono speaker it wins on sound clarity and no distortion at max volume. Notifications - I hate them on the iPad love them on the Xoom. I ran some speed tests between both and in almost every case they were virtually tied with the ipad winning a few more than the Xoom. Verizon speeds were also virtually identical. So in the end I'm having to weigh price with what experience I want with my tablet. For a while I thought the iPad was just a toy. It's not. As far as the 3G/4G argument goes, thats definitely a consideration if you need that speed. I'm fortunate that my area has awesome Verizon 3G speed and I regularly see upwards of 2mbps so it's not a big deal right now. Sure I want a better interface and notification system but for now the iPad may offer me the best experience. What I'm hoping is that the Xoom comes down in price and come down quickly so maybe I can have both. But for now it looks like the iPad wins for me. But by no means is it a slam dunk. I can also post some videos comparing speed tests and images in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Most definitely. Makes app switching super fast. For those that don't know what we are talking about you can download Xcode from apple to enable developer mode and turn on new multitouch gestures that don't normally come on the iPad.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any idea if you can do video chat with skype? I fear that the Xoom may never get video chatting thru skype. Google chat is nice but I know far more people that use Skype.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Yes you can video chat through skype, although it is the regular iPhone app. I have heard a iPad optimized skype app should be out soon.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I like the browser tabbing and app management better on the xoom, that being said this iPad z2 is blazing fast. Looking forward to seeing improvements on the xoom but for now it's ipad2 for me. Btw, I also liked the size if the xoom better. A lot of people complain about wait and form but to me it was much much more comfortable to hold and type on the xoom.

bestbuystinks

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I like the browser tabbing and app management better on the xoom, that being said this iPad z2 is blazing fast. Looking forward to seeing improvements on the xoom but for now it's ipad2 for me. Btw, I also liked the size if the xoom better. A lot of people complain about wait and form but to me it was much much more comfortable to hold and type on the xoom.

When you say that the opacity is blazing fast what exactly do you mean? Is it the browsing experience, app launching times, etc?

thanks